Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 01:30 PM

118 posts, read 193,829 times

Advertisements

Recently I spent a few days in San Francisco. I previously lived in San Francisco for a few months back in the mid 90s, and have visited only once since, four years ago. I pretty much had forgotten most of it, so this was an almost fresh perspective. Interesting city. It's like several cities in one.

One city is the downtown financial engine. I was surprised to discover that SF's cbd is almost as large as downtown Chicago. Gorgeous down there w/ high rise glass office buildings and condos.

Another city are the continuous neighborhoods, with all their interesting variety. SF is the only city I've been to that has a similar density as NYC. Every crevice of it seems urban and developed. Union square reminds me of the lower east side.

Third, is the tech sector, with all the young developers, entrepreneurs and VC folk.

The final city is the one of unbelievable amounts of mentally ill homeless on the streets. My take on that is that it's by design. It displays the city's compassion. NO WAY these people could be in central SF if the city leadership didn't allow it. There are extreme checks on developers being allowed to tear down the shanty SROs and flop houses. SF ALLOWS these folks to stay there. With unchecked development the homeless and street people would be gone in less than 5 years.

Super interesting dynamics in what I consider to probably be the second wealthiest city in America after NYC.

Finally, I LOVED SF's diversity. I could definitely see myself living there! Hailing from DC, SF prices do not seem extreme believe it or not. Not really that much more than nice parts of the District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 02:06 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyw90 View Post
Recently I spent a few days in San Francisco. I previously lived in San Francisco for a few months back in the mid 90s, and have visited only once since, four years ago. I pretty much had forgotten most of it, so this was an almost fresh perspective. Interesting city. It's like several cities in one.

One city is the downtown financial engine. I was surprised to discover that SF's cbd is almost as large as downtown Chicago. Gorgeous down there w/ high rise glass office buildings and condos.

Another city are the continuous neighborhoods, with all their interesting variety. SF is the only city I've been to that has a similar density as NYC. Every crevice of it seems urban and developed. Union square reminds me of the lower east side.

Third, is the tech sector, with all the young developers, entrepreneurs and VC folk.

The final city is the one of unbelievable amounts of mentally ill homeless on the streets. My take on that is that it's by design. It displays the city's compassion. NO WAY these people could be in central SF if the city leadership didn't allow it. There are extreme checks on developers being allowed to tear down the shanty SROs and flop houses. SF ALLOWS these folks to stay there. With unchecked development the homeless and street people would be gone in less than 5 years.

Super interesting dynamics in what I consider to probably be the second wealthiest city in America after NYC.

Finally, I LOVED SF's diversity. I could definitely see myself living there! Hailing from DC, SF prices do not seem extreme believe it or not. Not really that much more than nice parts of the District.
Glad you enjoyed your visit. I think of every neighborhood as its own little village, and it's easy to feel like you are in a different city by going to a new neighborhood.

Homelessness is a long time issue for San Francisco. SROs are not being demolished soon because activists would oppose such a move and developers are looking at other, more lucrative locations to build.

Next time you visit you should spend some time in the greater 9 county region: San Francisco is perhaps best understood as the central city of the larger region--and some of San Francisco's greatest benefits are outside the city limits.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Glad you enjoyed your visit. I think of every neighborhood as its own little village, and it's easy to feel like you are in a different city by going to a new neighborhood.

Homelessness is a long time issue for San Francisco. SROs are not being demolished soon because activists would oppose such a move and developers are looking at other, more lucrative locations to build.

Next time you visit you should spend some time in the greater 9 county region: San Francisco is perhaps best understood as the central city of the larger region--and some of San Francisco's greatest benefits are outside the city limits.
Great advice, and I will indeed! Btw, what are some of the other locations that developers are looking at to build?
Also, any specific areas outside SF I should check out?

Old 09-20-2016, 06:23 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
Great advice, and I will indeed! Btw, what are some of the other locations that developers are looking at to build?
Also, any specific areas outside SF I should check out?
There are a number of high-rise developments in SOMA, a longer term development in Hunter's Point, another at the site of old Candlestick, the new Warriors stadium & surrounding developments, and others.

Outside of SF:

-Wine country in Sonoma and Napa
-Regional/county/state/federal parks throughout the region (Big Basin, Pt. Reyes, Sugarloaf Ridge, Samuel P. Taylor, Henry Coe, Redwood Regional, Mt. Diablo, etc.)
-Coastal towns down the peninsula
-Port Costa
-Alice's on the Peninsula
-Muir Woods
-Russian River

Old 09-20-2016, 06:28 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Four days is a good pretty length to see most of SF, given how small and compact it is. Like others have pointed out, the real charms of the Bay Area are where you get out into wine country, the coast (especially Big Sur/Pt Reyes), the redwood forests, etc.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the tips! I've been coming to California a few times a year since 2013. I've just been going to SoCal. LA, Laguna, SD, Santa Barbara. Can't wait to explore a bit more of Northern California.

Honestly, I see the state as one big whole, and I'd probably be bouncing between SF, LA, SD and points in between. LA nightlife can be really fun and I've never seen such beauty as in coastal California.

The reason I'm considering SF as a home base is because I can successfully work there. It also is much more similar to the East coast than SoCal: trains, walkable, dense, etc. It's also politically liberal. Parts of SoCal are waaaay too conservative for me. Seems to start in OC and goes down to SD.

However, I'm not a huge fan of the grey, cold weather, so the fact that I can get out into the sunshine and coast as much as possible is key! I also think i would love wine country and the Redwoods!

Old 09-20-2016, 08:21 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tips! I've been coming to California a few times a year since 2013. I've just been going to SoCal. LA, Laguna, SD, Santa Barbara. Can't wait to explore a bit more of Northern California.

Honestly, I see the state as one big whole, and I'd probably be bouncing between SF, LA, SD and points in between. LA nightlife can be really fun and I've never seen such beauty as in coastal California.

The reason I'm considering SF as a home base is because I can successfully work there. It also is much more similar to the East coast than SoCal: trains, walkable, dense, etc. It's also politically liberal. Parts of SoCal are waaaay too conservative for me. Seems to start in OC and goes down to SD.

However, I'm not a huge fan of the grey, cold weather, so the fact that I can get out into the sunshine and coast as much as possible is key! I also think i would love wine country and the Redwoods!
There's a redwood forest right in the Oakland hills, too, a huge park. If you think SF would be too cool and gray for you, you can live in the East Bay, or on the peninsula, and take the train in.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's a redwood forest right in the Oakland hills, too, a huge park. If you think SF would be too cool and gray for you, you can live in the East Bay, or on the peninsula, and take the train in.
Thanks for that!

Last edited by jeremyw90; 09-20-2016 at 09:03 PM..

Old 09-21-2016, 11:23 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times
San Francisco has mirco climates. The hills in the city are a big factor in that. On a day like today, if you lived in the Sunset District neighborhood, you might find yourself wearing a light jacket or sweater when going out......on the other hand, if you lived in Dolores Heights neighborhood, Mission, Potrero hill.....it might be a short sleeve shirt day

Old 09-21-2016, 01:50 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Compassion? Really?

Not so sure I would spin it that way. This is a city going through a massive boom, tons of rich people, lots of development, tons of evictions by money-hungry landlords... not sure homeless people congregating on alleys is compassion. The city herds them all into the Tenderloin out of agreement that this is the area where tourists and business folks will venture into less frequently. Homelessness has been a massive, intractable problem here for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland