Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 12:14 PM

318 posts, read 335,230 times

Advertisements

been living in bay area for month & like it so far, however went to the suburbs dublin, livermoore, pleasanton yesterday and they really had detached townhomes new construction everywhere going for $1,000,000, it was warm & co worker said it even gets to the 100s sometimes out there.

the city reminded me of sugar land, pearland, clearlake, woodlands in Houston, new shopping centers and restaurants everywhere, went to the outlet mall, rude people everywhere, they don't say excuse me or even think about holding a door for u. Wasn't expecting southern hospitaility but was shocked by the rudeness from different races.

I could see paying that to live in berkeley, oakland, SF somewhere with some character right in the middle of things, but people are down right crazy to live in that suburb that gets hots, and pay $1,000,000 for a house out there, when they can come to Houston pay 200-300K for same new detached townhouse or house maybe, in actually a better looking suburb with super nice people all around.

I get that you can go trips lake tahoe, trips to beach, go to SF and visit, short flights to L.A vegas but how often do you do that with kids living in the suburbs ? doesn't that get old after awhile also since you live here ?

when you could have more money to take bigger and better trips and actually see the world.

help me to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 05:32 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,975,491 times
The city of Houston probably builds more homes in a year than the entire Bay Area. There are some places in the bay where it can take years to get a backyard tree house approved.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
The city of Houston probably builds more homes in a year than the entire Bay Area. There are some places in the bay where it can take years to get a backyard tree house approved.
i understand that, but that wasn't a answer to my question about paying this amount of money to live in the areas I listed

Old 10-02-2016, 06:09 PM

18,958 posts, read 32,418,045 times
Great schools, low crime, and commutable to both SF and Silicon Valley is why the Tri-Valley area is so expensive.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:34 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,950,394 times
My family of 6 takes international vacations every other year. We were in Europe for a month this summer. I'm fortunate however---work travel allows my husband to use air miles for many of our trips. We also have family in Europe so there's fallback accommodation when we need a couple of nights after long flights. We are able to live on ONE income, and no, we're not super wealthy--average/above average by Bay Area standards and we started off with literally nothing 20 years ago.

We do yearly trips to Tahoe/local stuff. There's a lot to see and do in our state. There's always somewhere new to visit if this is your thing. No...hasn't gotten old yet...other than having the 4 kids part at times. We don't stay in high end hotels--we tend to rent houses/apartments and cook our own meals sometimes to save money.

As for Houston...don't know. I have a great life right here. Haven't had any good reason to visit Houston. My family has been fortunate to have bought our house during the real estate crash and another investment property a few years later to help pay for our children's college.

As for the rudeness---The Bay Area has a lot of out of state newcomers and immigrants. There's often a transitory vibe--sometimes a lack of real community since people are always coming and going so easily. I've experienced rudeness all over the world though, so I wouldn't paint an entire country, state or region with such a broad brush.

I'm very polite out and about and I'm a native Bay Arean. I help seniors in supermarkets that can't reach items on shelves, I help people struggling with a 30ld bag of dog food at Costco, I don't slam doors in other people's faces and hold open doors for moms with strollers...I wouldn't be too eager to assume that rudeness is inherent or common. Driving, however---another issue entirely!

Real estate is outrageous---it was when we wanted to buy a house in San Francisco back in 1996 (which prompted us to leave over quadrupling of prices), and we managed to make some very well timed decisions to help us plan for our financial future---It must be hard coming to a new area where housing costs are this crazy... I suppose you either have to be super wealthy (2 highly paid two income family), plan and be very wise, and/or not have great expectations of owning some mansion, with a half acre of land like you would in Texas. We Californian are not always impressed by huge properties--we prefer to protect our land from development. There's not that much of it around here. Many of us natives don't want to see sprawling subdivision. We don't have as much empty space as a huge state like Texas.

Make life easier for yourself and don't compare the Bay Area with Houston. There must have been a good reason for you to move to here! It might take you a some time before you either figure out what it was, or you allowed yourself and your family a new and different experience which imo, is never a bad thing!

Old 10-02-2016, 06:54 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,975,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonview View Post
i understand that, but that wasn't a answer to my question about paying this amount of money to live in the areas I listed
It does answer your question, think a bit deeper.

You have an area with a ton of high income jobs and a limited supply of housing. The market is manipulated to reduce supply, with a high demand. These are the prices the current market will bear. Now sometimes it busts and corrects dramarically. At the low point I saw homes for sale in Pleasant Hill in the 300's, less than 10 years ago. Forclosures on townhomes in Dublin going for high 200's.

Timing is everything in California. Urban living is a growing trend, you have to wait until the next bust. When values drop due to a stock crash or raised interest rates, you buy (assuming you don't lose your job). The bust will add to a growing permanent renter class that will migrate towards bayside job centers. That is when you make a move in the tri valley.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:46 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,950,394 times
I forgot to mention that live just east of the Caldecott Tunnel. It's not quite as hot as Pleasanton or Livermore and with easier access to the hipper/more interesting places. Many local families tend to move out the cities you mentioned like Oakland/Berkeley/San Francisco because of some issues with schools (goofy, unfair lottery system in SF), more general urban challenges with parking, stress, crime, noticeable homeless, etc. Oftentimes "character" (which I personally love) has its own unique set of challenges in the cities you mention. As someone that grew up in San Francisco, I am happily living in the boring suburbs now that I have children. It will most likely change to some degree as my kids start to leave home.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:41 PM

1,156 posts, read 978,584 times
Way less humidity than any of those areas in Houston. Actually some would prefer that climate over the morning clouds. Proximity to SF by Bart, and the other positives that people mentioned. I wouldn't live there, because it is your typical suburbia that you could have anywhere in the country, but I see how many people would like it there.

I don't know about the rudeness. I really don't think it is much different here than in Texas. Lived in Dallas for a few years and was in Houston on business at least 3 times a month for a few days each time. I even see people hold doors in the office buildings in the city. Only thing that bugs me is people here are clueless when they walk in this city, but that's not necessarily being rude. I find people are every bit as friendly as they are in Texas once you know people.

I agree with Clongirl and don't start comparing Houston to here. So many in Texas get irritated really quickly the minute you compare Ca to Tx, and it can be as simple as asking someone where you can get good Mexican food. Wow, I never asked that question again.

It's a big state, many diverse things to do without leaving. Don't think I could say that about Tx other than Hill Country, Austin, San Antonio, NASA, then that's really about it and no need to visit those areas more than once. Well, maybe Hill Country.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Way less humidity than any of those areas in Houston. Actually some would prefer that climate over the morning clouds. Proximity to SF by Bart, and the other positives that people mentioned. I wouldn't live there, because it is your typical suburbia that you could have anywhere in the country, but I see how many people would like it there.

I don't know about the rudeness. I really don't think it is much different here than in Texas. Lived in Dallas for a few years and was in Houston on business at least 3 times a month for a few days each time. I even see people hold doors in the office buildings in the city. Only thing that bugs me is people here are clueless when they walk in this city, but that's not necessarily being rude. I find people are every bit as friendly as they are in Texas once you know people.

I agree with Clongirl and don't start comparing Houston to here. So many in Texas get irritated really quickly the minute you compare Ca to Tx, and it can be as simple as asking someone where you can get good Mexican food. Wow, I never asked that question again.

It's a big state, many diverse things to do without leaving. Don't think I could say that about Tx other than Hill Country, Austin, San Antonio, NASA, then that's really about it and no need to visit those areas more than once. Well, maybe Hill Country.
thanks for your reply, that's exactly what I was referring to like if you dont move people will walk right into you, I find myself having to always move.

I lived off nasa few minutes from the space center before I left to come to CA, in clearlake. I'm by any means not saying Houston is a better place to live than the bayarea. However comparing those suburbs to clearlake area (suburb outside of houston) it blows it out of the water. I was just saying I couldn't justify living there paying $700K more. I mean if you can afford it I guess that fine. My house hold income is 200K so I cant.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I forgot to mention that live just east of the Caldecott Tunnel. It's not quite as hot as Pleasanton or Livermore and with easier access to the hipper/more interesting places. Many local families tend to move out the cities you mentioned like Oakland/Berkeley/San Francisco because of some issues with schools (goofy, unfair lottery system in SF), more general urban challenges with parking, stress, crime, noticeable homeless, etc. Oftentimes "character" (which I personally love) has its own unique set of challenges in the cities you mention. As someone that grew up in San Francisco, I am happily living in the boring suburbs now that I have children. It will most likely change to some degree as my kids start to leave home.
That's the thing boring suburbs I was trying to understand the price for it, but seems like you got a real good deal on your home and are well off so makes sense for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland