Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 02:43 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Whether it's a parking lot or a spot by the river, it's such a terrible idea. Have you ever lived in a van? Do you even know the legality of it in various jurisdictions in the bay area? Do you even know if it's legal in San Francisco? Yet here you are giving advice to someone about how that's a plausible idea. Maybe you should do some research before you throw out gems like that next time.
Who said she lives in San Francisco? I'm pretty sure she said she lives in the SF Bay Area. But if you are so concerned with her well being, why don't you offer to help her? You have claimed in numerous posts to be an entrepreneur with a multi-million dollar payroll of 70+ employees..I would think that would be more useful than simply repeating the same tired attacks over and over and over...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 03:06 PM

169 posts, read 168,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have read all 13 of your posts. You were in the LA area then Orange County are, now you are in the Bay area. All the places you have been to are high cost of living areas. Maybe you should consider Fresno, Sacramento, Bakersfield. These are places that have a lower cost of living. Maybe move out of California. Try the Phoenix area. I think you would have a better more comfortable life in a lower cost of living area.

My wife and i are in the 6 figure club and i can tell you it takes every dime to live on the coast. I think we need $200,000 to enjoy the same kind of life I grew up with. I have always lived on the coast in the Oxnard area. Even here it cost a lot to live. You have a child, a teenager. I would think it would be in both of your best interest to find a lower priced place to live.
Most accurate response

Old 10-20-2016, 01:19 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Hi Rockinmon,

Can you please give us an update? I hope you are have found a place and things are working out!

Old 10-20-2016, 04:20 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Who said she lives in San Francisco? I'm pretty sure she said she lives in the SF Bay Area.
So where is it legal to live in a van in the SF Bay Area? Do you even know or did you just throw that out without researching?

Quote:
But if you are so concerned with her well being, why don't you offer to help her? You have claimed in numerous posts to be an entrepreneur with a multi-million dollar payroll of 70+ employees..I would think that would be more useful than simply repeating the same tired attacks over and over and over...
Who is attacking her? I'm simply pointing the ridiculousness of the idea you proposed.

I would also be open to donating money. How about this? For every $1,000 you donate, I will donate $1,500 on top. Let's help her out 2sleepy.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
So where is it legal to live in a van in the SF Bay Area? Do you even know or did you just throw that out without researching?
Who is attacking her? I'm simply pointing the ridiculousness of the idea you proposed.
I would also be open to donating money. How about this? For every $1,000 you donate, I will donate $1,500 on top. Let's help her out 2sleepy.
You have gone way off topic here and this is not helpful to the OP and I doubt if it is of interest to other people reading this thread. You can continue trolling if you want but I won't participate

Old 10-21-2016, 07:14 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:

Of course you are attacking her - as you do most everyone else on the forum. It's what you do. Your entertainment. Meh.

As for the ridiculousness of 2sleepy's idea: it's really not. Sleepy did not suggest living in a van was a great alternative lifestyle. Or a legal one. She pointed out, accurately, that: Having $1600 with no job and no place to live while trying to find support for both oneself and a child in the Bay Area is a quick dead-end - where it would be preferable to have transportation that can serve multi-purposes of getting to any work opportunities, appointments with services, and school for the child - all while also providing a short-term safe room. The suggestion has merit. If YOU grasped the first thing about being homeless on the streets, especially with a child, you would understand, perhaps.

Laughing also at your remark about sleepy not knowing her laws, as well. She has stated many times in many threads that she is retired, urban law-enforcement who dealt with (and continues to volunteer on behalf of) the homeless on a daily basis. It is YOU who know nothing about survival on the streets. As well you wouldn't, busy as you are with your 70-employee multi-million-dollar, out-of-state payroll?

Me? Do I know about living in vans on the street? Lmfao. You bet your bippy I do! It's not a lifestyle to raise a child in. But possible? Safer in a pinch than being homeless, especially with a child in tow? 110%. Proven by thousands. Right now. All over the Bay Area.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:12 PM

500 posts, read 841,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Of course you are attacking her - as you do most everyone else on the forum. It's what you do. Your entertainment. Meh.

As for the ridiculousness of 2sleepy's idea: it's really not. Sleepy did not suggest living in a van was a great alternative lifestyle. Or a legal one. She pointed out, accurately, that: Having $1600 with no job and no place to live while trying to find support for both oneself and a child in the Bay Area is a quick dead-end - where it would be preferable to have transportation that can serve multi-purposes of getting to any work opportunities, appointments with services, and school for the child - all while also providing a short-term safe room. The suggestion has merit. If YOU grasped the first thing about being homeless on the streets, especially with a child, you would understand, perhaps.

Laughing also at your remark about sleepy not knowing her laws, as well. She has stated many times in many threads that she is retired, urban law-enforcement who dealt with (and continues to volunteer on behalf of) the homeless on a daily basis. It is YOU who know nothing about survival on the streets. As well you wouldn't, busy as you are with your 70-employee multi-million-dollar, out-of-state payroll?

Me? Do I know about living in vans on the street? Lmfao. You bet your bippy I do! It's not a lifestyle to raise a child in. But possible? Safer in a pinch than being homeless, especially with a child in tow? 110%. Proven by thousands. Right now. All over the Bay Area.
How is she going to buy a working van (or the one that doesn't fail to start next day) for $1600 in Bay area? AND pay for gas, these are gas-guzzlers and pay to register it (which requires to pay for insurance as well)? Next thing, the van would be out stuck somewhere, TOWED by the cops, and she'd be asked to pay $$$ just to get it out. What kind of advice is that?

I don't know if OP speaks any language other than English, even a little bit...if she is, some help might be available through a paper/online portal in that language...sometimes there're hostels that charge only a little and can even extend credit...or work agencies that can quickly place people as caregivers/housekeepers in the homes...these services are mostly geared towards illegal immigrants, and I've seen bilingual Americans fall back onto those...these exist mostly in places like NYC or LA though...might not be in Bay area

Last edited by xani; 10-23-2016 at 08:29 PM..

Old 10-23-2016, 08:38 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
How is she going to buy a working van (or the one that doesn't fail to start next day) for $1600 in Bay area? AND pay for gas, these are gas-guzzlers and pay to register it (which requires to pay for insurance as well)? Next thing, the van would be out stuck somewhere, TOWED by the cops, and she'd be asked to pay $$$ just to get it out. What kind of advice is that?

I don't know if OP speaks any language other than English, even a little bit...if she is, some help might be available through a paper/online portal in that language...sometimes there're hostels that charge only a little and can even extend credit...or work agencies that can quickly place people as caregivers/housekeepers in the homes...a hint...these services are mostly geared towards illegal immigrants, and I've seen bilingual Americans fall back onto those...these exist mostly in places like NYC or LA though...might not be in Bay area
First off, I didn't suggest she buy a van. My entire comment was directed at the poster I quoted who ridiculed the concept and the poster who proposed it as an option. It's not a ridiculous suggestion at all.

Second, everything I pointed out is valid in terms of the option being better than being on the street. Perhaps you are not personally experienced with street people and in living on the street. A van would be a blessing by comparison - though I certainly don't recommend it as a lifestyle for the OP if there is an option to become otherwise housed.

Third, there are plenty of running vans available for under $1000. Furthermore, there are opportunities to trade services, such as house cleaning and gardening, to people selling vehicles. Perhaps you are not creative that way (creating trade deals), but it is a huge factor in underground economy.

Yep, insurance and registration all add up. But, with minimal transportation a person is in a more advantageous position to get some kind of work or get to services that can help subsidize the situation.

And finally, yep: I am very experienced in all these things.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post

I don't know if OP speaks any language other than English, even a little bit...if she is, some help might be available through a paper/online portal in that language...sometimes there're hostels that charge only a little and can even extend credit...or work agencies that can quickly place people as caregivers/housekeepers in the homes...these services are mostly geared towards illegal immigrants, and I've seen bilingual Americans fall back onto those...these exist mostly in places like NYC or LA though...might not be in Bay area
It's not that hard to find a van for $1300 or less in decent running condition. It would not be an RV with a kitchen but would give her and her kid a place to sleep. As to where to park it, I would expect that she has some friends in the area and if they know what kind of spot she is in they may well let her park it in their garage at night, or if they have a yard with RV access she could park it there. A gym membership would provide her and her kid with a place to shower, and I am not suggesting it for a long term situation, if she could do that for a month and get another $2000 together she might have enough to get to a cheaper place to live AND she would have vehicle to get her there. It's not ideal but I have seen a number of people do it. My other recommendation was that she get a job as a live in caretaker.

But this is getting dumb, the OP has started two other thread and has not even responded back to anyone's suggestion in this one.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:50 PM

500 posts, read 841,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
First off, I didn't suggest she buy a van. My entire comment was directed at the poster I quoted who ridiculed the concept and the poster who proposed it as an option. It's not a ridiculous suggestion at all.

Second, everything I pointed out is valid in terms of the option being better than being on the street. Perhaps you are not personally experienced with street people and in living on the street. A van would be a blessing by comparison - though I certainly don't recommend it as a lifestyle for the OP if there is an option to become otherwise housed.

Third, there are plenty of running vans available for under $1000. Furthermore, there are opportunities to trade services, such as house cleaning and gardening, to people selling vehicles. Perhaps you are not creative that way (creating trade deals), but it is a huge factor in underground economy.

Yep, insurance and registration all add up. But, with minimal transportation a person is in a more advantageous position to get some kind of work or get to services that can help subsidize the situation.

And finally, yep: I am very experienced in all these things.
So if you're experienced, get a van for 1K and spend your time fixing it (it'll take a lot of effort). She's an office worker and not a car mechanic, neither she has friends who can help her.

There're no reliable running vans for under 1K in Bay area. End of discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland