Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 05:06 PM

83 posts, read 92,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaHead View Post
I really want to start this town! When I win the lottery I will start a town in a coastal Mediterranean
Climate area and ban all douchebags, techies, republicans, extreme liberals, extreme hipsters and low low life criminals.
We will have reasonable housing costs/rents, low crime, great year round weather, ocean and mountain views, excellent shopping with limited big corporate influenece and a large number of successful small mom &. Pop businesses, great organic food & dining,world class entertainment/cultural amenities, close to a large city yet just far enough away to escape into the splendor of nature and have a safe, peaceful life!

Until then you will need a time machine where you can return to most any coastal county of California back in the 1950s-1970s and live that exact life If you can't build or find a time machine and I don't win the Mega millions lottery then you are priced out of a good life in California and forced to live like a 3rd world refugee on a 6 figure income or move to Colorado and freeze to death come winter or move to Oregon and drown to death in the winter, sorry
Funny.

But seriously, I don't think I'm looking for anything unrealistic. i know $2200 won't even get me a decent studio in SF, but I would think I could find somewhere with most of the amenities that I mentioned. I no longer need world class dining, entertainment and shopping. Been there done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenerpastures35 View Post
Funny.

But seriously, I don't think I'm looking for anything unrealistic. i know $2200 won't even get me a decent studio in SF, but I would think I could find somewhere with most of the amenities that I mentioned. I no longer need world class dining, entertainment and shopping. Been there done that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
What about Davis/Sacramento?

You're close to Tahoe and mountain activities and still just a day or weekend trip from SF.

I'd second Denver as well.

For a more off-the-wall suggestion, maybe Santa Fe?
I've never been to Sante Fe.

Don't know much about Davis/Sac.

Tell me more.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:13 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Funny.

OP, you can afford a 1-br. in Fairfax with money left over. You can also get one in Mill Valley, with less money left over. Some of those are in-law apts., some are in apt. bldgs. Get a good recommendation from your LL, proof of income, and start applying to CL listings. Good luck, and let us know if you score something.

P.S. If you like/need mild weather, Santa Fe isn't for you. You don't really want to give up proximity to the ocean and to redwoods, do you? Don't panic. Instead do some searches in Marin, or consider Fremont. You can find some 1-br.'s and decent studios in Santa Cruz city and county well within your price range, too.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/apa/5831370124.html

Here's a 1-br. cottage, very spacious, in Scotts Valley, Santa Cruz Mts. for $1800
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/apa/5825826880.html

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-16-2016 at 05:31 PM..

Old 10-16-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you can afford a 1-br. in Fairfax with money left over. You can also get one in Mill Valley, with less money left over. Some of those are in-law apts., some are in apt. bldgs. Get a good recommendation from your LL, proof of income, and start applying to CL listings. Good luck, and let us know if you score something.

P.S. If you like/need mild weather, Santa Fe isn't for you. You don't really want to give up proximity to the ocean and to redwoods, do you? Don't panic. Instead do some searches in Marin, or consider Fremont.
I love Fairfax and mill valley, but how would life be there for a 35 year old single? I'm totally over the whole bar scene, but would like to meet other singles my age or older too.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:22 PM

473 posts, read 520,694 times
Quote:
I've never been to Sante Fe.

Don't know much about Davis/Sac.

Tell me more.
Davis is a college town and therefore perhaps less conservative/sterile than Sacramento, but not overrun with hipsters yet. Both places have affordable housing (you may even be able to buy) and my hunch is the areas will continue to grow as more Bay Area transplants look for more affordable areas. Meanwhile, you get nice scenery, relatively mild weather (by any standard except Coastal California), and a short distance to all the outdoor activities you love. Seriously, it's so close to us, you should definitely plan a road trip.

I haven't been to Santa Fe myself but everyone I know seems to love it. It's an artist's community, near the mountains and has four seasons and doesn't get as hot as the rest of the southwest.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:30 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
I love Fairfax and mill valley, but how would life be there for a 35 year old single? I'm totally over the whole bar scene, but would like to meet other singles my age or older too.
OP, are you under the impression that singles don't live there? Of course they do. Some commute to the City from there. Others work locally. Join meetups, nature/hiking groups, go to the Zen center, you'll meet people. And there's always Santa Cruz--great for singles, and perfect weather, great jazz clubs!

Old 10-16-2016, 05:38 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Have you considered the East Bay? Berkeley and Oakland are still options below 2,200, and are very laid back. I find both better for life in one's 30's when you don't need the city 24/7, but still want to be near. There are enough things to do in either berkeley or Oakland without feeling the need to go into the city. But of course, BART is right there when you need/want that "fix ".

Walnut Creek is a good option, too, and has a decent singles life. It's far more suburban, of course, but it's pretty laid back, you have BART access, and its downtown is the main epicenter for the surrounding cities (so attracts a lot of people for its nightlife).

My feeling on Marin is that you'd probably like it (is super pretty and relaxed), but it can be pretty isolating if you're hoping to date a lot. You might find yourself wanting to head into the city a lot, and there are basically zero good transit options for nightlife access (i.e. you're either driving or cabing/ubering it home). Something to consider there.

Maybe try hanging out in these various areas of the bay area on a Friday/Saturday night or a weekend day to see what you think of the scenes in each.

Outside of the bay area, I'd say consider Davis (college-y, but nice) and Sacramento, Portland, Bend, Eugene, Seattle, and Boulder/Ft. Collins (I personally prefer them both to Denver, but if you need a big city, look at Denver first).

Old 10-16-2016, 05:39 PM

538 posts, read 1,191,048 times
I think it's basically a climate/amenities trade-off. If you need climate, you are pretty much bound to coastal California. Bay Area outskirts fit the bill. Have you thought of Napa/Sonoma?
Otherwise, I'd say it's Chicago. It has a combination of amenities and affordability that's very hard to beat. The climate, though, is another story.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Have you considered the East Bay? Berkeley and Oakland are still options below 2,200, and are very laid back. I find both better for life in one's 30's when you don't need the city 24/7, but still want to be near. There are enough things to do in either berkeley or Oakland without feeling the need to go into the city. But of course, BART is right there when you need/want that "fix ".

Walnut Creek is a good option, too, and has a decent singles life. It's far more suburban, of course, but it's pretty laid back, you have BART access, and its downtown is the main epicenter for the surrounding cities.

My feeling on Marin is that you'd probably like it (is super pretty and relaxed), but it can be pretty isolating if you're hoping to date a lot. You might find yourself wanting to head into the city a lot, and there are basically zero good transit options for nightlife access (i.e. you're either driving or cabing/ubering it home). Something to consider there.
I wasn't aware that Berkeley and Oakland still have options under $2200. Let me reiterate, I'm tired of living in a dumpy place. Not looking for a more expensive one.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peninsular View Post
I think it's basically a climate/amenities trade-off. If you need climate, you are pretty much bound to coastal California. Bay Area outskirts fit the bill. Have you thought of Napa/Sonoma?
Otherwise, I'd say it's Chicago. It has a combination of amenities and affordability that's very hard to beat. The climate, though, is another story.
Napa/Sonoma might be an option, although I feel like I would be rather isolated out there.

Chicago is out of the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland