Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 07:23 PM

123 posts, read 867,209 times

Advertisements

Is 2 weeks a bit long for a vacation? Or is there THAT much to do in SF? I've never done a vacation longer than a weekend and I can't imagine getting burned out but I suppose it happens?
This is more of business travel than pleasure but I'm wanting to enjoy my stay there and milk whatever fun I can out of it. I'm going to look for a new job but I don't want to overstay and run out of funds.

So if I have 2 weeks to spare, once accommodations (flight/shelter) are out of the way how much should I expect to spend in SF?

I know that SF is expensive to live but when traveling is it the same?

I'm wanting to get involved in things of real value (groups, community, tours, etc..) Shopping does not interest me that much (I'm a very lite shopper) and very thrifty about that. I'm not big into clubs BUT I will probably go to some or some bars just to experience the nightlife. I'd prefer them not to be so high end, just a laid back place with a fun crowd and a cheap or free cover charge.

Of course I want to enjoy the different cultured resturants but I'm not going to need gourmet dining or the best of the best. I can get by on fruit for breakfast, a big salad for lunch and chinese takeout for dinner If I must.

The ONLY thing that I am really picky about is the location where I'll be staying or frequenting (and thats about out of the way now).

So in YOUR opinion -- 2 weeks, scouting 'real' activites (low-cost/free), and keeping a thrifty mindset, how much can I 'get by on'?

Worst comes to Worst, I'll only stay a week but I'm finding that I can't get my dates (job fairs, interviews, events, etc..) all in one time frame.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 08:27 PM

30,306 posts, read 51,908,733 times
If you actually leave the city to explore, you could easily fill 2 weeks! For example, you can spend a few days in Napa, or go south to Santa Cruz, Monterey and/or Carmel... if you're a skier, you can even head up to Tahoe for a weekend (3-4 hour drive). There is a TON of stuff to do in/around SF as well, so I think you could have fun here for 2 weeks. You can fill up the days by sightseeing, and spend the evening in clubs, theater shows, or dining in our many wonderful restaurants. Since you're not a shopper, though, that does eliminate some of our daytime activities - like Union Square, where I can quickly spend a few days & a paycheck. If the weather is decent while you're here, you can also enjoy our beaches, like Ocean & Baker beach. As for the costs, I think hotels are bit cheaper during the off-season (anytime except summer & holiday weekends), but everything else is about the same. Hope you have a great trip!

Old 02-24-2008, 10:19 PM

3,241 posts, read 6,294,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafedup View Post

scouting 'real' activites (low-cost/free), and keeping a thrifty mindset, how much can I 'get by on'?

Thanks

Check out the museum free days. For example the first Tuesday of the month is free for the De Young Museum and Legion of Honor. The first Wed. is free for the Exploratorium.

Will you have a car or will you be taking public transportation?

Free Museum Days in San Francisco - Free Museums and Free Museum Days in San Francisco

Old 02-25-2008, 09:47 AM

136 posts, read 893,852 times
I agree with gizmo980. Two weeks IN the city might be a bit much but there is so much to do in the surrounding areas that you could easily fill two weeks. A car would be a necessity mind you. Muir Woods, Napa Valley, Sonoma Valley, Mendicino, Point Reyes(whale watching), Tidal pools south around Pacifica, Carmel, Big Trees State Park, Yosemite, Tahoe, Golden Gate Park...and so on. These were some of the places we would take visitors. We always had a lot of visitors when we lived there. Not so much in Houston. Hmmm I wonder why??!!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:08 PM

30,306 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy View Post
I agree with gizmo980. Two weeks IN the city might be a bit much but there is so much to do in the surrounding areas that you could easily fill two weeks. A car would be a necessity mind you. Muir Woods, Napa Valley, Sonoma Valley, Mendicino, Point Reyes(whale watching), Tidal pools south around Pacifica, Carmel, Big Trees State Park, Yosemite, Tahoe, Golden Gate Park...and so on. These were some of the places we would take visitors. We always had a lot of visitors when we lived there. Not so much in Houston. Hmmm I wonder why??!!
LOL... I always complained that nobody visited when I lived in Oregon & Stockton, yet they were more than happy to visit me in Lake Tahoe (and now back in SF). Fair-weather friends/family, I suppose - but I do understand the reasoning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland