Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2016, 12:20 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I wonder, why do you think only minorities can't figure out how to get an ID but white people can? If anything it is easier for minorities to get ID cards as they are more clustered into areas with that service provider, public transportation, etc. unlike a rural white voter who would have to drive farther and take more time out of their day to get an ID.

Not to mention every facet of American life requires ID of some sort.

Why is it ok to encumber one civil right with requiring two forms of ID and a background check in California yet making someone show one form of ID to vote somehow keeps only minorities from voting?
Umm. What makes you think that minorities all live in urban areas? I'm pretty sure they live everywhere. You just don't see them as much.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:46 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
I wonder, why do you think only minorities can't figure out how to get an ID but white people can? If anything it is easier for minorities to get ID cards as they are more clustered into areas with that service provider, public transportation, etc. unlike a rural white voter who would have to drive farther and take more time out of their day to get an ID.
Not to mention every facet of American life requires ID of some sort.
Why is it ok to encumber one civil right with requiring two forms of ID and a background check in California yet making someone show one form of ID to vote somehow keeps only minorities from voting?
I said the poor and ethnic minorities and as I pointed out, Republican politicians have publicly admitted that their goal is to suppress the vote of 'likely' democratic voters. There are numerous examples of elderly people who can't obtain their birth certificate, or they were divorced and the document attesting to the fact that they no longer use their ex-spouses name can't be located and because of it they are not allowed to vote. In some states they have required people to pay $50 just to order a copy of their birth certificate, and another fee to get an ID card, intentionally targeting the poor. They try to limit students from voting by restricting what ID they need They artfully throw up roadblocks to keep people who they 'think' are likely democrats from voting. And it never ends. after they pass their voter ID laws, they then change locations of polling places and limit the hours and days of voting. NONE of that has anything to do with keeping undocumented people from voting and you know it, so please quit playing make believe.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:18 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I said the poor and ethnic minorities and as I pointed out, Republican politicians have publicly admitted that their goal is to suppress the vote of 'likely' democratic voters. There are numerous examples of elderly people who can't obtain their birth certificate, or they were divorced and the document attesting to the fact that they no longer use their ex-spouses name can't be located and because of it they are not allowed to vote. In some states they have required people to pay $50 just to order a copy of their birth certificate, and another fee to get an ID card, intentionally targeting the poor. They try to limit students from voting by restricting what ID they need They artfully throw up roadblocks to keep people who they 'think' are likely democrats from voting. And it never ends. after they pass their voter ID laws, they then change locations of polling places and limit the hours and days of voting. NONE of that has anything to do with keeping undocumented people from voting and you know it, so please quit playing make believe.
Polling places and hours are determined by money available, the volume of voter during he election and people volunteering their location for votes.

Everyone has ID, the minute few who would be "disinfranchised" by having to get an ID would be much lower than the current number of voters being disinfranchised by having their vote nullified by someone who shouldn't be voting.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:45 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Polling places and hours are determined by money available, the volume of voter during he election and people volunteering their location for votes.

Everyone has ID, the minute few who would be "disinfranchised" by having to get an ID would be much lower than the current number of voters being disinfranchised by having their vote nullified by someone who shouldn't be voting.
They are closing polling places, restricting early voting and making voting in Democratic areas as difficult as possible, I don't believe in the tooth fairy and I don't believe that they are doing this because they suddenly don't have money to cover those expenses.

No, not everyone has ID, and among those who have ID some states have so restricted which ID's are allowable that they can't meet the standard. And since there has never been any significant in person voter fraud you might want to consider why the states who are pushing so hard for Voter ID don't do jack about absentee voting which is by far where most voting fraud occurs

Old 12-09-2016, 02:24 PM

882 posts, read 688,628 times
""Draining the swamp" - what a freaking load of malarkey. I can't believe people actually bought that lie."

A Clinton supporter calling out Trump for lying

Yeah, that's rich. Pot meet Kettle

I'm not too concerned about draining a swamp or how much money someone has made in their lifetime, realizing that doesn't fit with the "class envy" narrative. How much someone makes has no bearing on what kind of job they can do, nor does it necessarily have anything to do with empathy for others. I know plenty of people that are filthy rich that started off with little and are the most caring and giving people I know.

As far as draining a swamp, alll I care about is getting the best person qualified for the job. I am quite please that Trump actually has a doctor in charge of HHS instead a bunch of stupid politicians that think they have more expertise. I love that fact that the country will have an opportunity for "school choice". And hopefully she will have some influence on poor performing schools in CA. I'm personally not impressed by a 47th ranking in the country, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that the upside is significantly higher than the downside. He also has a good person in charge of Immigration that will take a tough stance on it.

I understand these choice will upset Liberals so they will continue with to spew their vitriol. He's clearly doing something right if it's upsetting so many of them.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:25 PM

882 posts, read 688,628 times
Personally, I grow tired of the claim that Obama has deported so many people and how there has been net zero impact (which is a disingenuous report being bandied about by Pew Research). What people should be looking at are net inflows. Deportations mean nothing if people just illegally return to the country. The Pew report, in which they conveniently cherry pick to end in 2014, has more to do with the recession than any deportations. In that report, they do claim that there was no impact between 2009-2014. Well gee, how convenient. And how were things after that, with the economy picking up traction?

Immigrant Population Hits Record 42.1 Million in Second Quarter of 2015 | Center for Immigration Studies

And yet, all I ever seem to hear are Non Sequiturs when this information is brought up. Why it always has to come down to that, I simply don't know. To think that it took a Trump to bring this to the forefront (since neither party was doing a damn thing about it, is pathetic). Please spare me the "look squirrel" type of response when dealing with this topic. All those other things can be dealt with on a separate basis. But to constantly say something else is more important is to cheapen this argument. I'm sure families that have had loved ones die at the hands of illegal aliens don't think much of that approach. And although the names Kate Steinle and the Bologna family come up often, there are many others. Not to mention that you are allowing terrorists to have accessibility to the country. How this could go on so long with the security of our country and it's citizens at risk is beyond me. As Joe Biden once said, yeah it's a F'n big deal!

But of course, lives don't matter if it doesn't fit with the "ideology"

Old 12-09-2016, 02:37 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
""Draining the swamp" - what a freaking load of malarkey. I can't believe people actually bought that lie."

A Clinton supporter calling out Trump for lying

Yeah, that's rich. Pot meet Kettle

I'm not too concerned about draining a swamp or how much money someone has made in their lifetime, realizing that doesn't fit with the "class envy" narrative. How much someone makes has no bearing on what kind of job they can do, nor does it necessarily have anything to do with empathy for others. I know plenty of people that are filthy rich that started off with little and are the most caring and giving people I know.

As far as draining a swamp, alll I care about is getting the best person qualified for the job. I am quite please that Trump actually has a doctor in charge of HHS instead a bunch of stupid politicians that think they have more expertise. I love that fact that the country will have an opportunity for "school choice". And hopefully she will have some influence on poor performing schools in CA. I'm personally not impressed by a 47th ranking in the country, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that the upside is significantly higher than the downside. He also has a good person in charge of Immigration that will take a tough stance on it.

I understand these choice will upset Liberals so they will continue with to spew their vitriol. He's clearly doing something right if it's upsetting so many of them.
When did I say I'm a Clinton supporter? As if that would invalidate the argument? Holy hell - do you know what red herring is?

And, no, that's not pot meeting kettle. Trump is a compulsive liar.

I'm happy he's appointing "qualified" people (Um, Ben Carson...what did he do to be qualified for his position again?)...that have values that align so well with the American people: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...n-opinion.html

The Swamp has been drained! And filled back in with sewage.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 12-09-2016 at 03:07 PM..

Old 12-09-2016, 02:47 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
The only one that has me scratching my head is Ben Carson. How does his medical or other experience prepare him for running an agency? Sure you might say he has enough experience to know how to direct people to do the job. Other cabinet positions make more sense to me, but I'm not sure we need so many ex-military people to do all these jobs.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:54 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Personally, I grow tired of the claim that Obama has deported so many people and how there has been net zero impact (which is a disingenuous report being bandied about by Pew Research). What people should be looking at are net inflows. Deportations mean nothing if people just illegally return to the country. The Pew report, in which they conveniently cherry pick to end in 2014, has more to do with the recession than any deportations. In that report, they do claim that there was no impact between 2009-2014. Well gee, how convenient. And how were things after that, with the economy picking up traction?

Immigrant Population Hits Record 42.1 Million in Second Quarter of 2015 | Center for Immigration Studies

And yet, all I ever seem to hear are Non Sequiturs when this information is brought up. Why it always has to come down to that, I simply don't know. To think that it took a Trump to bring this to the forefront (since neither party was doing a damn thing about it, is pathetic). Please spare me the "look squirrel" type of response when dealing with this topic. All those other things can be dealt with on a separate basis. But to constantly say something else is more important is to cheapen this argument. I'm sure families that have had loved ones die at the hands of illegal aliens don't think much of that approach. And although the names Kate Steinle and the Bologna family come up often, there are many others. Not to mention that you are allowing terrorists to have accessibility to the country. How this could go on so long with the security of our country and it's citizens at risk is beyond me. As Joe Biden once said, yeah it's a F'n big deal!

But of course, lives don't matter if it doesn't fit with the "ideology"

Please, can you sow me anyone here saying that the issue of immigration reform doesn't matter? I'm fairly certain the majority of people in this country think we need immigration reform (hey - look, I just agreed with you and CaliResto), and if you polled the people in this thread, they'd likely agree.

I am arguing, rather, that it is not the most important issue facing us (especially as it relates to the future of the world/this country) and that it is an over-exaggerated issue. In other words, it was Trumped (pun) up to rile up Trump's base, and in reality we have more serious issues to be worrying about/addressing as a country.

But (and this is important) that isn't the same thing as saying we don't need to fix the immigration system. I have said so in my posts on this topic in this thread.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 12-09-2016 at 03:08 PM..

Old 12-10-2016, 02:03 AM

371 posts, read 337,821 times
Hockeymac I wish I had your patience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland