Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 02:38 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I have no problem with President Trump calling Taiwan. Good for him.
I read he didn't call Taiwan; they called him, probably to congratulate their long-time business partner.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:42 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hockeymac, the latest news from the FBI and other security agencies is that it's not clear at all that Russia's intent was to influence the elections in favor of Trump. It's believed that they were just trying to disrupt the process to affect voter faith in the electoral process, and create some chaos. Both parties' national committees were hacked, and at roughly the same time, and security officials point out that the Russians were as surprised by Trump's victory as Americans were. Though I don't know how they can determine that the officials responsible for the hacking were surprised. Sure, the public was surprised. That doesn't mean anything.
You have it in reverse - the initial news from October was they thought their intention was just to interfere with the election process, and sow doubt.

The latest news is that the intelligence community has obtained strong evidence that Russia's intention was in fact to influence the election in Trump's favor.

October 7, 2016 - intelligence community press release:
Joint Statement from the Department Of Homeland Security and Office of the Director of National Intelligence on Election Security
Quote:
The U.S. Intelligence Community (USIC) is confident that the Russian Government directed the recent compromises of e-mails from US persons and institutions, including from US political organizations. The recent disclosures of alleged hacked e-mails on sites like DCLeaks.com and WikiLeaks and by the Guccifer 2.0 online persona are consistent with the methods and motivations of Russian-directed efforts. These thefts and disclosures are intended to interfere with the US election process. Such activity is not new to Moscow—the Russians have used similar tactics and techniques across Europe and Eurasia, for example, to influence public opinion there. We believe, based on the scope and sensitivity of these efforts, that only Russia's senior-most officials could have authorized these activities.

December 10, 2016 - new information:
CIA Concludes Russian Interference Aimed To Elect Trump
Quote:
"Intelligence agencies have identified individuals with connections to the Russian government who provided WikiLeaks with thousands of hacked emails from the Democratic National Committee and others, including Hillary Clinton's campaign chairman, according to U.S. officials," the Post reports. "Those officials described the individuals as actors known to the intelligence community and part of a wider Russian operation to boost Trump and hurt Clinton's chances."

Citing anonymous officials briefed on the issue, the Post says the CIA shared its findings with senators in a closed-door briefing last week, saying it was now "quite clear" that Russia's goal was to tip the presidency in Trump's favor:

" 'It is the assessment of the intelligence community that Russia's goal here was to favor one candidate over the other, to help Trump get elected,' said a senior U.S. official briefed on an intelligence presentation made to U.S. senators. 'That's the consensus view.' "

The NY Times did mention in another separate report from the last week that the RNC's computer systems were also hacked - but I don't think that necessarily changes any of the conclusions...it does show how vulnerable our computer systems (even at the top level of our govt) are, though, and that is concerning.

In addition, I have read that over the last few elections, there has been hacking into various government/partisan computer systems (Democrat and Republican) - even more reason to be concerned over this.

Regardless of Russia's (or any foreign govt's) intent, outside interference in our elections is not something we should be taking lightly. It should be concerning to us all. So I hope they (the intelligence community) continue to look into this, and determine ways to prevent it from happening in the future.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 12-11-2016 at 02:51 PM..

Old 12-11-2016, 03:02 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Why doesn't evidence of a foreign government interfering with our election process concern you? This isn't about Trump winning - this is really about our national security and the integrity of our election process - and it does concern me if what they're saying is true (which I believe it to be).
Because there *isn't* any evidence. There is nothing but hearsay and speculation. This is a baseless conjecture. They conclude, with no rationale for doing so, that the leaks are "consistent with" the "methods and motivations of Russian-directed efforts". That is meaningless drivel specifically worded to mislead gullible people (such as yourself, apparently) into believing that they have identified the person(s) responsible as being under the employ or direction of the Russian government, when such is not the case at all. The truth is the universe of persons interested in exposing the misdeeds of the criminal conspiracy of the Clintons and their supporters is a very big tent...and could be whistleblowers, American hackers, foreign hackers not of Russian provenance, or people within the US intelligence community itself. It is the latter that is actually involved, and if you're not aware of the mega-battle that has just been waged between competing factions of the USIC then you're truly uninformed. This pitted the patriots in the USIC against the Obama/Soros/Global commie stoolies, and fortunately the patriots prevailed.

That is what has been going on here. The Russians have got nothing to do with it, except probably as bemused spectators watching these internecine struggles play out and trying to position themselves to benefit or learn something of value whilst doing so.

Quote:
Please don't reduce this issue to partisan politics. Various members of Congress don't want it to come down to that as they have genuine concern in the greater implications of Russia's hacking (see below).
It is indeed partisan politics. The left and the RINOs like McCain, are in cahoots and have been in cahoots since 2008, conspiring to throw the election to Obama, and they were horrified that their grip on power could be threatened. They are still feebly trying to inflict some injury on their enemies (the American people and the democratic process)....it is nothing but pathetic and ineffectual at this point.

Quote:
Why would another government make a statement about hacks into computer systems in the United States? How would they have access to that kind of information?
Seriously? You have lots to learn about espionage. You really think the Russians haven't got double agents operating inside this country, just like we have in theirs? I suppose you think all those foreign embassies are just full of paper-pushing civil servants helping expats with their passports, eh?

Quote:
Are you certain that he isn't suspicious of the origin of the hack? I would be surprised if the FBI hasn't been involved in this investigation at some point.
I believe that if he had even enough evidence to form a reasonable suspicion that Russian hackers actually contributed to voter fraud, there would have already been a letter issued to Congress about it.

Quote:
I'm not sure what world you live in, but this is just reporting what members of our government are saying. What is "fake" about this?
Members of our government who are subversive and who are trying to destroy the Constitution, yes, they will say anything and do anything to further their disgusting commie agenda.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Because there *isn't* any evidence. There is nothing but hearsay and speculation. .
Right, OP. The FBI, CIA and NSA operate on an absence of evidence, and on hearsay and speculation. They're all weighed in on the issue, and have briefed members of Congress on their findings and conclusion. Too bad they didn't include you in their briefing.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:29 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Wow. Some of us do seem to live on different planets.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Members of our government who are subversive and who are trying to destroy the Constitution, yes, they will say anything and do anything to further their disgusting commie agenda.
Subversives in government, trying to destroy the Constitution! Horrors! Fire up that House Un-American Activities committee! Where is Reagan when you need him, and J Edgar Hoover?

Old 12-11-2016, 05:49 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
WAPO and NYT are both commie mouthpieces and there isn't a spits worth of difference between em.

What I'm saying is this is nothing but hearsay and allegations made by partisan hacks and RINOs....the least trustworthy members of Congress, and propagated by subversive media orgs. There isn't a single government intelligence representative saying any such thing. Look how Comey wrote a letter just because new emails were uncovered. Don't you think if he had any knowledge that would be the basis for a reasonable suspicion of interference by a state actor, he'd have said so?

You guys have gotten so used to the fake news put out by the MSM that you can't see it even when its right in front of your faces. Sad.
FYI... one can read about US politics w/o your paranoia of it always being biased or not real. You can seek this out in most international news sources. After all I've been reading and hearing about all the "fake" news lately, I started cross cross referencing with news sources like the "Irish Examiner", and "the Sydney Morning Herald".

So-- you need a serious reality check. If you can't decifer what's real journalism from weird stories from odd news blogs or news sources with an obvious political bent, (I've seen them on my Facebook feed) you should research further. I would seriously suggest you consider taking a journalism class at a local community college or something similar to see what investigative journalism actually entails. I'll give you a head start with this.

Simply not agreeing or liking the information provided doesn't make it infactual. I personally don't pay any attention to any of the news organization(s) you've listed, like MSM.. I've actually never watched/read that in my life. I have lived and spend a good deal abroad, so I know where to go for unbiased news without any American political "agenda". What concerns me the most, and Dan Rather wrote an editorial about this (I'm not even sure you know who he is) but he said, "On the internet, nobody knows you're a fraud". It might be best for YOU to research and stop trying to place all of your hopes and dreams on someone that's actually a known, certifiable liar (very easily verifiable by reading actual "quotes" of what he's actually stated in the past--journalism 101--).

I hope that my own children learn to do the same in school and continue to seek it out throughout their lives. You might try avoiding Fox News, MSN, etc... read international newspapers--many have English language versions. You'll discover a whole other world that you didn't even imagine existed and then perhaps you can stop appearing disabled. When I hear all of your silly buzzwords, like "partisan hack", RINO's, and just repeat exactly what people WITH an actual agenda say...then you lose all credibility. Learn for yourself, speak for yourself and stop rehashing exactly what people that you listen to speak as the "norm".

Last edited by clongirl; 12-11-2016 at 06:20 PM..

Old 12-11-2016, 06:02 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
If someone sees conspiracies everywhere, there is not much you can do to convince them otherwise.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:08 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Trump is claiming voter fraud in order to cover up his own staff's illegal purging of voter registration rolls in the 2-3 months leading up to the election (which they bragged about on national radio news), and other vote suppression tactics that were used. It's so obvious he's making those accusations as a smoke screen. It's embarrassing that some people actually believe it and swallow his grandstanding. The man has no scruples. He's still treating the election process as a big game show.
I can't wait for Donald trump to crush the Bay Area economy. I might not agree with him politically but it's the best thing he can do

Old 12-11-2016, 06:16 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
FYI... one can read about US politics w/o your paranoia of it always being biased or not real. this in international news sources. After all I've been reading and hearing about all the "fake" news lately, I started cross cross referencing with news sources like the "Irish Examiner", and "the Sydney Morning Herald".

So-- you need a serious reality check. If you can't decifer what's real journalism from weird stories from odd news blogs or news sources with an obvious political bent, (I've seen them on my Facebook feed) you should research further. I would seriously suggest you consider taking a journalism class at a local community college or something similar to see what investigative journalism actually entails. I'll give you a head start with this. Simply not agreeing or liking the information provided doesn't make it infactual. I don't pay any attention to any of the news organisations you've listed, like MSM.. I've never watched/read that in my life. I have lived and spend s good deal abroad, so I know where to go for unbiased news. What concerns me the most, and Dan Rather wrote an editorial about this (I'm not even sure you know who he is) but he said, "On the internet , nobody knows you're a fraud". Might be best for YOU to research. I hope that my own children learn to do the same in school and continue to seek it out throughout their lives. You might try avoiding Fox News, MSN, etc... read international news. You'll discover a whole other world that you didn't even imagine existed.
Most of the foreign press you mention gets its news from the same source as domestic news organizations - from these press events and releases from the PAO. They aren't doing any original investigative reporting - by the way it is against regulations for a US federal employee with a security clearance to give info to a journalist - even more of an issue if it's a foreign journalist or foreign controlled media organization, and they could lose their clearance and even be charged with espionage or mishandling information.

FYI MSM is not a news organization. It stands for Main Stream Media. Funny that you have adopted this know-it-all posture about journalism but you don't even know basic acronyms and insinuate that I would be unfamiliar with Dan Rather, arguably one of the better-known news personalities of the 20th century. Even funnier that you named-dropped this reference in apparent sincerity, clearly unaware that Rather ended his journalism career under a cloud of disgrace after having been fired by CBS for a lapse of ethics and caution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland