Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 10:43 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,079,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Even if California voted for Trump, I still don't see why you would riot, but I'm especially dumbfounded as to why you would destroy your own city even though it voted in favor of what you believe in, any of you here care to explain the reasoning to me?
It is fear. People fear that immigrants will be dragged away in the night, that families will be torn apart, that hate crimes will be approved of, as will be the abuse of women. Some fear that Russia will control him (they certainly have worked to get him where he is.) They fear that the Bill of Rights will be torn up (except for the second amendment) and that we have an authoritarian president who respects no one and nothing but those who can enrich him or praise him. We have seen some of this happen already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 09:28 AM

21,631 posts, read 16,178,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
You are asking from a calm, rational mind.
Uh no. He's not. But that said, the rest of your commentary is correct
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
People are rioting because they are angry, hurt, frustrated, and are feeling all sorts of bad emotions, and they want to express it. It's a shame they want to destroy things, but that's how some people are. It's the equivalent of throwing something at home when you're angry. It's just that thousands (? No idea how many) are throwing something at the same time, and they're doing it in public, not at home.

They feel so angry and hurt that they want the whole world to know who caused it and they want to hurt him back. The only way to hurt him back is to do it publically.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:33 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,501,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Well, people in Oakland riot just because - it's kind of their thing over there. It's their sport. You put a new menu out at BK and BAM - gotta vandalize a business or three!

IMO, you're kind of stupid if you're out there protesting Trump's victory. And I'm not a Trump fan and didn't vote for him. What exactly are you protesting...democracy? What are you advocating...a dictatorship? Much as we don't like him, the guy won fair and square by the rules. Part of the deal with being part of a democratic society is that elections have consequences.

Protest him once he actually does something bad. Right now no one even knows what he's going to do.
Few of those arrested in past demonstrations live in Oakland...

Old 11-14-2016, 11:23 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,797,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
He lost the popular vote and the Electoral College is a joke that needs to be abolished, but you're right that he won they way the rules were laid out.
I can understand some frustration over the Electoral College in this election. One must keep in mind both candidates campaigned to win the 270 EV. The EC is not going to be abolished anytime soon. Besides a 2/3 vote in Congress & it would require 3/4 of the states legislatures to approve it......in other words, just 13 states could block it.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:17 AM

24,350 posts, read 26,804,721 times
Trump said he stands by his comments that he wants the popular vote to decide a winner. However, it would change the entire campaign strategy as to where to campaign, where to buy ads etc, so the results would be very different if that were the deciding factor during the election. Maybe Clinton would still have won the popular vote, but maybe not as well. It's like competiting in a cooking conpetition that is judged on taste. After the competition is over people protest saying well if it were judged on presentation the other person wohld have won, so lets change the rules and make the other person win based on presentation. It makes no sense because if both knew that was the deciding factor their strategy would have been completely different. People need to listen to Obama when he said trump will be our next president, get over it you babies.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:44 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,881,170 times
Quote:
Trump said he stands by his comments that he wants the popular vote to decide a winner. However, it would change the entire campaign strategy as to where to campaign, where to buy ads etc, so the results would be very different if that were the deciding factor during the election. Maybe Clinton would still have won the popular vote, but maybe not as well. It's like competiting in a cooking conpetition that is judged on taste. After the competition is over people protest saying well if it were judged on presentation the other person wohld have won, so lets change the rules and make the other person win based on presentation. It makes no sense because if both knew that was the deciding factor their strategy would have been completely different. People need to listen to Obama when he said trump will be our next president, get over it you babies.
"Get over it" - you're welcome to your free speech just as they are. This is still America.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:38 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,965,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
You are not white, you are Chinese. Just because you hang around white people does not mean you know how we vote.

Whether you accept it or not Hillary lost the white vote by a huge margin, including college educated whites like myself.

Hillary didn't grow up with money? You are obviously clueless about where she is from. She grew up in Park Ridge, IL, which had always been an affluent Chicago suburb.

Oh and Hillary supported Barry Goldwater, the guy who fought against the civil rights bill. You might want to dust off your history books there, LoL!!!!
No. I'm Irish, Welsh, Scottish, English, Chinese, and Korean. My dad is a Trump supporter from Wyoming. My mom is a Democrat from Hawaii.

But nothing like a complete stranger on a message board that's never met me or seen me to tell me what my ancestry is. Glad you sorted that out for me.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
No. I'm Irish, Welsh, Scottish, English, Chinese, and Korean. My dad is a Trump supporter from Wyoming. My mom is a Democrat from Hawaii.

But nothing like a complete stranger on a message board that's never met me or seen me to tell me what my ancestry is. Glad you sorted that out for me.
It's funny when other people try to speak for all white voters too...

I'm sorry, but no single group of people votes in a singular way.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:14 PM

24,350 posts, read 26,804,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
"Get over it" - you're welcome to your free speech just as they are. This is still America.
We are all welcome to free speech, but not welcome to destroy businessses, streets, cars and other things. Stop acting like little cry babies and get over it.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
We are all welcome to free speech, but not welcome to destroy businessses, streets, cars and other things. Stop acting like little cry babies and get over it.
Sure - I agree. I don't support rioting. And I've been speaking out against people that do. It's not the way to spread your message, and isn't the way forward. There's also the anarchist element (i.e. just want to watch the world burn) that has a tendency to take over these things - and people that are protesting peacefully need to stand up to that nonsense!

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 11-15-2016 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland