Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2017, 10:37 AM

500 posts, read 838,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
SF and LA is a womens dream. More single men than women. So they have a good pick of the litter.

No, SF is not a "woman's dream". It is the opposite.

Like they say: "the odds are good....but the goods ARE ODD"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 02:20 PM

351 posts, read 339,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
No, SF is not a "woman's dream". It is the opposite.

Like they say: "the odds are good....but the goods ARE ODD"
this is what the SF 49ers say, AKA girls who are 4s but think they're 9s because they're spoiled by the SF ratio. Go to NYC and then tell me how you feel. There are so many real 9s guys won't even look at you.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:23 PM

5,342 posts, read 3,843,346 times
Reading only the title of this post, I assume the question is addressed to the Earth's tectonic plates.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:26 PM

351 posts, read 339,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
I don't live in SF, and never have.

Honestly, I don't see why I should care if some random person on the internet is happy or not, and I really don't care about his/her rants and am rather surprised that you appear to think that I (or anybody) should care about your feelings in the matter. (I don't care at all, BTW.)

Please don't get butt hurt from this slight criticism. Have fun wherever you move. Best wishes in your future endeavors. Hope it all works out for you.
You cared enough to make a post about how you don't care.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:20 PM

997 posts, read 931,014 times
Maybe the 9's and 10's are not where you are. They aren't trolling for a hook-up. They have friends who aren't you. There are good looking people who are born and bred. We don't have a moratorium on attractiveness.

I have never lived in San Francisco either, but I grew up in the area. I personally don't prefer the San Francisco weather, but some people like it. I know people who are not in the tech sector, and who are not recent transplants and they prefer to live there. They are attractive.

Natural beauty does not require a faceful of makeup and a high end wardrobe. Some people like to dress up, and others don't. It isn't required, but it is allowed. I don't believe the story about the woman who felt uncomfortable being overdressed. As far as I know, Bay area culture isn't known for being judgmental, nor is it superficial.

I am in the bay area and I find that people are very nice wherever I go. That isn't something that you seem to value, or even understand.

What is wrong with being a NIMBY? A NIMBY is someone who has a back yard.

Maybe that is the culture clash and you should find your city of dreams. San Francisco is not it for you, and frankly I don't think you will be missed.

Last edited by Veronicka; 01-08-2017 at 05:10 PM..

Old 01-08-2017, 06:37 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,028,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
You cared enough to make a post about how you don't care.
Yes - I care that people know that I don't care (but I don't care about his rant). You got it!

Old 01-09-2017, 06:29 AM

20 posts, read 35,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
Maybe the 9's and 10's are not where you are. They aren't trolling for a hook-up. They have friends who aren't you. There are good looking people who are born and bred. We don't have a moratorium on attractiveness.

I have never lived in San Francisco either, but I grew up in the area. I personally don't prefer the San Francisco weather, but some people like it. I know people who are not in the tech sector, and who are not recent transplants and they prefer to live there. They are attractive.

Natural beauty does not require a faceful of makeup and a high end wardrobe. Some people like to dress up, and others don't. It isn't required, but it is allowed. I don't believe the story about the woman who felt uncomfortable being overdressed. As far as I know, Bay area culture isn't known for being judgmental, nor is it superficial.

I am in the bay area and I find that people are very nice wherever I go. That isn't something that you seem to value, or even understand.

What is wrong with being a NIMBY? A NIMBY is someone who has a back yard.

Maybe that is the culture clash and you should find your city of dreams. San Francisco is not it for you, and frankly I don't think you will be missed.
99.9% of the 9's and 10s in SF are tourist! Otherwise in SF 7s are at the top. Most 20/30 something women in SF are 5/6 and the legendary 49ers :-)

Bay Area culture isn't known for being judgmental? You are joking right?
Out of all the places I have been to Bay Area people from my experience have been the most judgmental. Also very ignorant on how they think all other cities are backwards compared to them.

Whats wrong with being a NIMBY? Everything! look at the housing situation in Bay Area. I don't think that you even live in the Bay Area or are very ignorant to realize that impact these so called hypocrite "limousine liberals" have caused.

Truth is that San Francisco is just an overpriced Seattle.

Last edited by SFsucks; 01-09-2017 at 06:43 AM..

Old 01-09-2017, 01:15 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,820,688 times
I am considering a move to the Bay Area but trying to understand the dating scene better. I've dated California women before and they are truly "my style" in every sense of the way: outdoorsy, intelligent, yet feminine. They also happened to be Northern California based women not Southern California women.

I don't need a 9 or 10 because I'm not a 9 or 10. A 7-8 would be just fine. My understanding is that the women that I would be dating there would be similar to the other Northern Californian women I've met: liberal, independent, outdoorsy, but still somewhat stylish in a West coast-ish kind of way. They may wear a sweatshirt, but in a "girl next door" kind of way. Am I incorrect in this assessment?

Just for kicks on some OLD sites I changed my location to San Francisco and I had women contacting me within 5 minutes whereas here in Austin I have to work the sites prolifically to get any results. I also did the same for NYC just to see the difference. In NYC OLD I was solicited for sex within several minutes. I know it would be easy going up there but I'm not a fan of arctic weather. So, it's back to CA.

I know the ratio is a meat market in SF, but I think because of the high percentage of gay men, it makes us straight men have much better odds - each gay couple eliminates 2 men from the dating pool, from a straight man's perspective, which keeps the ratio in check.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:41 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,873,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I am considering a move to the Bay Area but trying to understand the dating scene better. I've dated California women before and they are truly "my style" in every sense of the way: outdoorsy, intelligent, yet feminine. They also happened to be Northern California based women not Southern California women.

I don't need a 9 or 10 because I'm not a 9 or 10. A 7-8 would be just fine. My understanding is that the women that I would be dating there would be similar to the other Northern Californian women I've met: liberal, independent, outdoorsy, but still somewhat stylish in a West coast-ish kind of way. They may wear a sweatshirt, but in a "girl next door" kind of way. Am I incorrect in this assessment?
Your assessment is spot on. You sound like you have similar interests to mine, and I get a long very well with Bay Area/Northern CA women. Very outdoorsy, independent/driven, intelligent/well-educated, and naturally beautiful. It's great!

I had a lot of fun dating here before I met my gf.

Quote:
Just for kicks on some OLD sites I changed my location to San Francisco and I had women contacting me within 5 minutes whereas here in Austin I have to work the sites prolifically to get any results. I also did the same for NYC just to see the difference. In NYC OLD I was solicited for sex within several minutes. I know it would be easy going up there but I'm not a fan of arctic weather. So, it's back to CA.

I know the ratio is a meat market in SF, but I think because of the high percentage of gay men, it makes us straight men have much better odds - each gay couple eliminates 2 men from the dating pool, from a straight man's perspective, which keeps the ratio in check.
The ratio "issue" is very overblown. I think in the "people looking to date other heterosexual people" category, the ratios are very even in SF/Berkeley/Oakland.

That said, if you rely on online dating, expect lots of competition (that's just the reality of online dating everywhere - men message women a lot, women get overwhelmed a lot).

If you do move here, try to meet women in more "traditional" ways. Hiking/camping/climbing/biking/running/general adventure clubs and groups (meetup.com) are great for meeting single girls...and you know they're into something you're into right away (assuming you're interested in that club/group). I've had the most success here, personally.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:53 PM

102,092 posts, read 107,197,582 times
Quote:
The Sierra Club has singles hikes, REI Co-op has singles social events, the California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park has a cocktail hour once/week for singles that gets good reports. There's swing dancing on Sundays in GG Park, which is cool just for observing and enjoying the music, even if you don't dance. There are outdoor concerts (Stern Grove, a city park, is a great venue) and many other events and opportunities to meet people. And there's the greater Bay Area to explore, as well.

Would you be living in SF, or only working there? According to a demographic map someone posted here recently, there are parts of Berkeley and the East Bay generally where women are the majority, even in the younger age-range. Not that it matters that much; if you're friendly, you'll meet women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland