Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2018, 09:13 PM

190 posts, read 843,156 times

Advertisements

I've been California dreaming my whole life but life circumstances have kept me from pulling the trigger and making the move. My daughter however is making the move as a fresh college grad and I am so happy for her. I just spent 2 1/2 weeks in San Fran helping my daughter get settled in and here are my observations.

1- There are so many homeless here. I saw lots of them- everywhere. I even witnessed one going to the bathroom right in plain sight. And it wasn't just in the city. I even saw bunches in other areas such as Santa Cruz and Sunnyvale.

2- San Fran is dirty. I suspect a lot of it is because of the homeless problem.

3- San Fran does a poor job of dealing with traffic congestion. I'm from DC and in DC when we have traffic the police is there to keep things orderly and keep the intersections from getting gridlocked. In San Fran I witnessed a crazy free for all on a Sunday afternoon where stupid selfish drivers were literally blocking intersections preventing any cars from going through.

4- The crime seems to be worse than DC's. My nephew has been sin the Bay Area for 2 years and has been the victim of 2 smash and grabs. My daughter has been there for 2 1/2 weeks and has already been a victim of a crime (purse got picked)

5- The Bay Area is pretty much Asians and whites.

With all that being said, the weather in the Bay Area is superb, and coupled with the natural beauty of area, I can see why so many wish to move there, and it only reinforces my desire to someday live there- but if I end up in the Bay Area it will be outside the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 12:15 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,309,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Admittedly, the diversity claim is truly comical with 75% of the people being White or Asian.
"Asian" comprises a very wide variety of cultures and languages. We are not monolithic.

And even within a group such as "Indian", there are a multitude of languages and sub groups.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:50 AM

1,203 posts, read 830,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
"Asian" comprises a very wide variety of cultures and languages. We are not monolithic.

And even within a group such as "Indian", there are a multitude of languages and sub groups.
Uh huh. Cute.

Again....

According to the 2010 Census, the racial and ethnic composition of Oakland was: White: 34.5% (non-Hispanic: 25.9%) Black or African American: 28.0% Asian: 16.8% (8.7% Chinese, 2.2% Vietnamese, 1.6% Filipino, 0.7% Cambodian, 0.7% Laotian, 0.6% Korean, 0.5% Japanese, 0.5% Indian, 0.1% Mongolian) Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander: 0.6% American Indian and Alaska Native: 0.8% Other race: 13.7% Two or more races: 5.6% Hispanic or Latino of any race: 25.4% (18.1% Mexican, 1.9% Salvadoran, 1.3% Guatemalan, 0.7% Puerto Rican)

Sacramento also is better.

That's diversity!

Here's a more updated one on San Francisco that supports the claim I made on the previous post about this White/Asian ratio getting into that 85-90% ratio

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...co-population/

San Francisco Demographics
According to the 2015 census estimates, the ethnic makeup of San Francisco was:

White: 53.6% (non-Hispanic: 41%)
Asian: 35.3%
African Americans: 6.1%
Native Americans: 0.8%
Pacific Islanders: 0.5%
Other: 6.6%
Two or more: 4.2%
Hispanic or Latino of any race: 15.3%

The Chinese population of San Francisco represents the single largest ethnic minority group with 21.4% of the population. Other major Asian groups include: Filipinos (4.5%), Vietnamese (1.6%), Japanese (1.3%), Asian Indians (1.2%), Koreans (1.2%), Thais (0.3%), Burmese (0.2%) and Cambodians (0.2%).

The claim that San Francisco is diverse and some kind of a melting pot is a joke.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 09-04-2018 at 01:20 AM..

Old 09-04-2018, 02:36 AM

258 posts, read 228,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFsucks View Post
I'm glad that you get it. What bothers me the most is how ignorant many Bay Area people are when they believe that they live in such a great place and everything else in the county is backwards. SF people always comparing themselves with NYC and they think that they live in a much better city. The BS they use in arguments is laughable. "NYC is way too cold, SF has perfect "mild" weather", "NYC is full of rude people","Rent here (SF) is higher than NYC because we are a better place to live" etc.

People also hate on LA and SoCal for being materialist and superficial is also laughable. San Franciscans (especially the new tech transplants) are the biggest hypocrites.

I am leaving the filthy city by next month and can't wait! The so called "mild" weather in SF is also terrible. No real summer in the city!
I came here from over 2 decades of living on the East Coast (Boston area). Granted everyone has different perception but let me tell you how wrong you are on so many points. Here are 3 major ones.

1. East Coast drivers suck. They suck real hard. NYC is full of arrogant idiots while Boston was full of completely boneheaded drivers. Seriously, the lack of driving skills on Boston roads was amazing. This is 17 years of Boston driving talking. Try driving a small sports car there, you'll see what I mean
2. the weather is subjective. I love the weather here and point and laugh when I see friends and family constantly complain about it in both winter and summer. Yes, it's not perfect here but it's as close to uniform weather as one can get almost. And I like that as there is one less thing to think about. Just have a sweater with you when you go outside - you will have it just right about 85% of the time
3. Views are great and city is quite pretty. I also love the surrounding area. Then I remember ugly MA and want to puke. What a complete and utter hell hole

I could keep going but you get the picture. Of course I'm not saying there aren't any issues here, we all know what they are, but I wouldn't go back to godawful East Coast if you paid me. If it wasn't for friends and family I wouldn't even visit it for 10 years or so just because I don't miss it at all.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:04 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,013,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
I've been California dreaming my whole life but life circumstances have kept me from pulling the trigger and making the move. My daughter however is making the move as a fresh college grad and I am so happy for her. I just spent 2 1/2 weeks in San Fran helping my daughter get settled in and here are my observations.

1- There are so many homeless here. I saw lots of them- everywhere. I even witnessed one going to the bathroom right in plain sight. And it wasn't just in the city. I even saw bunches in other areas such as Santa Cruz and Sunnyvale.

2- San Fran is dirty. I suspect a lot of it is because of the homeless problem.

3- San Fran does a poor job of dealing with traffic congestion. I'm from DC and in DC when we have traffic the police is there to keep things orderly and keep the intersections from getting gridlocked. In San Fran I witnessed a crazy free for all on a Sunday afternoon where stupid selfish drivers were literally blocking intersections preventing any cars from going through.

4- The crime seems to be worse than DC's. My nephew has been sin the Bay Area for 2 years and has been the victim of 2 smash and grabs. My daughter has been there for 2 1/2 weeks and has already been a victim of a crime (purse got picked)

5- The Bay Area is pretty much Asians and whites.

With all that being said, the weather in the Bay Area is superb, and coupled with the natural beauty of area, I can see why so many wish to move there, and it only reinforces my desire to someday live there- but if I end up in the Bay Area it will be outside the city.
Say what you like about San Francisco, revile it if you want, but (pedant alert) don't call it San Fran.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:21 AM

830 posts, read 483,310 times
Quote:
The claim that San Francisco is diverse and some kind of a melting pot is a joke.
It is a joke. But it's even a bigger joke to think that diversity is best measured by racial composition.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:35 AM

190 posts, read 843,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Say what you like about San Francisco, revile it if you want, but (pedant alert) don't call it San Fran.
Ha! I love the correctness police on these forums. Years ago I was scolded right here on these boards for calling California “Cali”. So when one of my relatives who has been living in California for a number of years said “Cali” instead of “California” I told him I heard Californians don’t use that term. He laughed and said that’s stupid- lots of people do.

My guess is they will say the same about “San Fran”

Last edited by novaman; 09-04-2018 at 08:57 AM..

Old 09-04-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
And I already stated my thoughts on these "day" trips. Shy of having something specific to do on the Peninsula or in the East Bay, I'm more prone to just stay home in my area, so the microclimate thing doesn't really mean anything to me (sounds like you really didn't read my comment).

OK, so you like staying near home. Still it is true that you can get out of the city and quickly enjoy warm weather (and lots of other things) on the weekend. Many, many people go to wine country on the weekends, go hiking in Marin or the East Bay hills, or go further out to Yosemite and Tahoe. Admittedly, some of those locations are farther than "a half hour away", but then again not every summer day in SF is cold and foggy!

Quote:
I also commented on the bug thing and the "freezing cold" winters. I'm always amazed at how people always like to paint the negative picture to fit their narrative. You'd think by many of the comments that outside of the Bay Area, everyone lives is swamp infested areas doing the summer, and below zero temperatures in the winter. Please stop sensationalizing. How much you like the weather is a very personal thing. I understand that some people like the cool, fog like temperatures of San Francisco (that's fine...more power to you). However, there are some (like myself), that don't care for the mid 50 degree average and would like to be in temperatures nearer 75-80 where we live, not 30 minutes away. I think it's OK for us to have a difference of opinion without trying to smear other areas, isn't it?
Sure. But start considering actual, real world areas and you'll run into bugs, extreme heat, humidity, or cold winters pretty quickly. There are several cities in the US (San Diego comes to mind), but the list is short.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
Ha! I love the correctness police on these forums. Years ago I wasn’t scolded right here on these boards for calling California “Cali”. So when one of my relatives who has been living in California for a number of years said “Cali” instead of “California” I told him I heard Californians don’t use that term. He laughed and said that’s stupid- lots of people do.

My guess is they will say the same about “San Fran”
There is a certain type of San Franciscan (can I use that word?) that pretends to get upset when people refer to the city as "Frisco". While it is true that no-one who lives here ever uses the term, it is such a ridiculous thing to get upset about.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:46 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,309,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
There is a certain type of San Franciscan (can I use that word?) that pretends to get upset when people refer to the city as "Frisco". While it is true that no-one who lives here ever uses the term, it is such a ridiculous thing to get upset about.
That probably originated with Herb Caen, a famous local columnist who disliked that term and discouraged it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland