Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 821 times

Advertisements

Why is the address of "The Regillus" listed as 200 Lakeside Drive when the front entrance to that building is actually on 19th Street?
Did the Schilling Mansion (which occupied the site before the 1920s) front on Lakeside Drive and did P.A. Palmer (the developer of the modern building) somehow get the city to allow him to keep the more prestigious (and valuable) Lakeside address?

Yes, this is to settle an argument. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 11:06 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,064 times
Lakeside Drive did not exist when the Schilling Mansion was on the site, so that is definitely not the reason. (The road was built in the early 1920s after private direct access to the lake was eliminated, many of the mansions were replaced with luxury apartment buildings, and the lake was dredged to fill in the western side so that a road along the lake could be built.) My guess is that when Lakeside Drive was created, the parcels that fronted it (as the Regillus parcel does) were given the option of using it as an address. But I don't know for sure--you could ask at the Oakland History Room at the Main Library.

Last edited by artemis78; 11-29-2016 at 11:25 PM..

Old 12-01-2016, 04:34 AM

386 posts, read 797,277 times
Great question and answer! I've only been in the building once but the apartment I saw was beautiful. My favorite building near the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: