Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 09:13 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb going fishing View Post
The GOP tax plan will not come to fruition verbatim, but soaking the upper middle class is actually a pretty desirable way of funding Trump's infrastructure and economic plans. If we're going to continue offering Carrier-style subsidies to US businesses in middle America, that money has to come from somewhere. Removing the state income/property tax deductions is particularly desirable since it targets coastal liberals lol, and to the victors go the spoils... I am also comfortably into this tax bracket, but would be left unscathed since I live in a low tax area.
Though I'm not a fan of the carrier style subsidies I much prefer it to the bank bail out of the last 8 years and the subsidizing "green jobs" or other ideological goals.

If we are going to spend tax dollars at least help the industries most hurt, manufacturing in the rust belt/south/mid west.

On a political note, this is exactly why trump won and Hillary lost, the democrats have forgotten about the working average American that lives east of I-5 and west of I-95.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:48 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Though I'm not a fan of the carrier style subsidies I much prefer it to the bank bail out of the last 8 years and the subsidizing "green jobs" or other ideological goals.
If we are going to spend tax dollars at least help the industries most hurt, manufacturing in the rust belt/south/mid west.
It was a terrible idea, and how long do you expect taxpayers to sit back quietly and watch their money handed out by the millions and then have companies leave anyway? If we are going to pick winners and losers, as Trump did,then why not help truly local small businesses, why throw good money after bad? This was not first taxpayer bailout that Carrier received. Look at the financial report for the parent company of Carrier, they aren't exactly going broke...http://www.utc.com/News/News-Center/...6-Outlook.aspx

"Dell closed a North Carolina plant in 2009 just five years after receiving millions in state tax incentives to open it. Production then moved to Mexico". The bad economics of Trump's Carrier deal

"In the last decade, at least 25 companies with Wisconsin operations have both been awarded state funding and outsourced jobs, according to a State Journal review of U.S. Labor Department, Wisconsin Economic Development Corp. and former state Commerce Department data. In 10 of those cases, the outsourcing occurred after the state funding was awarded." At least 25 companies have outsourced and received state funding award since 2005 | Politics and Elections | host.madison.com

the Indiana Economic Development Corporation — which Pence leads — has approved $24 million in incentives to 10 companies that sent work to foreign countries. Of those incentives, nearly $8.7 million has been paid out so far. During that same period, those companies terminated or announced layoffs of more than 3,800 Hoosier workers while shifting production to other countries, where labor tends to be far less expensive. Under Mike Pence, Indiana gave incentives to companies that offshored jobs

"In Charlotte, outsourcing firm Cognizant was awarded $5 million in incentives in 2014 in return for an expansion that would add 150 workers in Charlotte and 350 elsewhere in the state. The New Jersey-based firm, one of the nation’s largest users of H-1B visas, submitted 2,593 initial H-1B applications in Charlotte in fiscal 2015. That’s the most of any company that applied for visas in Charlotte that year." Foreign worker loophole concerns some NC lawmakers - | WBTV Charlotte

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Office Depot is packing up its corporate bags and shipping out of the Sunshine State, but not before scoring millions in state and local taxpayer incentives. Just 14 months ago, Office Depot was awarded a state and local government incentive package worth $5 million — roughly $3 million from the state that has not been paid out, $1.5 million from the city of Boca Raton and $500,000 from Palm Beach County. Now, the company is all but gone. Millions in taxpayer incentives later, Office Depot leaving business-friendly Florida - Watchdog.org

There are literally hundreds of similar stories..and you think this is a good use of taxpayer money? geezus..

Old 12-03-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It was a terrible idea, and how long do you expect taxpayers to sit back quietly and watch their money handed out by the millions and then have companies leave anyway? If we are going to pick winners and losers, as Trump did,then why not help truly local small businesses, why throw good money after bad? This was not first taxpayer bailout that Carrier received. Look at the financial report for the parent company of Carrier, they aren't exactly going broke...UTC Reports Full Year 2015 Results, Affirms 2016 Outlook | News Center | News | United Technologies

"Dell closed a North Carolina plant in 2009 just five years after receiving millions in state tax incentives to open it. Production then moved to Mexico". The bad economics of Trump's Carrier deal

"In the last decade, at least 25 companies with Wisconsin operations have both been awarded state funding and outsourced jobs, according to a State Journal review of U.S. Labor Department, Wisconsin Economic Development Corp. and former state Commerce Department data. In 10 of those cases, the outsourcing occurred after the state funding was awarded." At least 25 companies have outsourced and received state funding award since 2005 | Politics and Elections | host.madison.com

the Indiana Economic Development Corporation — which Pence leads — has approved $24 million in incentives to 10 companies that sent work to foreign countries. Of those incentives, nearly $8.7 million has been paid out so far. During that same period, those companies terminated or announced layoffs of more than 3,800 Hoosier workers while shifting production to other countries, where labor tends to be far less expensive. Under Mike Pence, Indiana gave incentives to companies that offshored jobs

"In Charlotte, outsourcing firm Cognizant was awarded $5 million in incentives in 2014 in return for an expansion that would add 150 workers in Charlotte and 350 elsewhere in the state. The New Jersey-based firm, one of the nation’s largest users of H-1B visas, submitted 2,593 initial H-1B applications in Charlotte in fiscal 2015. That’s the most of any company that applied for visas in Charlotte that year." Foreign worker loophole concerns some NC lawmakers - | WBTV Charlotte

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Office Depot is packing up its corporate bags and shipping out of the Sunshine State, but not before scoring millions in state and local taxpayer incentives. Just 14 months ago, Office Depot was awarded a state and local government incentive package worth $5 million — roughly $3 million from the state that has not been paid out, $1.5 million from the city of Boca Raton and $500,000 from Palm Beach County. Now, the company is all but gone. Millions in taxpayer incentives later, Office Depot leaving business-friendly Florida - Watchdog.org

There are literally hundreds of similar stories..and you think this is a good use of taxpayer money? geezus..
Did you read the first sentence of my post?

Old 12-03-2016, 11:10 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Did you read the first sentence of my post?
Of course I did, I quoted it in my response, did you miss that? But in any case, here are your first two sentences:

Quote:
If we are going to spend tax dollars at least help the industries most hurt, manufacturing in the rust belt/south/mid west. .
You're not a fan of it..but then you go on to defend it. I believe I responded appropriately.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Of course I did, I quoted it in my response, did you miss that? But in any case, here are your first two sentences:

You're not a fan of it..but then you go on to defend it. I believe I responded appropriately.
I said

I don't like, though it is better than bast precedent.

I didn't defend it at all.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:28 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,409,388 times
The real killer on W-2 tech professionals is the peoples republic of CA's brutal state income tax.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:24 AM

977 posts, read 1,011,517 times
I thought most liberals wanted to tax the rich? Now that they are taxed they complain? Trumps presidency will be great just watch!! I'm so excited can't wait!

Old 12-05-2016, 05:06 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
I thought most liberals wanted to tax the rich? Now that they are taxed they complain? Trumps presidency will be great just watch!! I'm so excited can't wait!
I hope it causes another recession like all republicans do! I would love to see a bear market in real estate

Old 12-05-2016, 11:33 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:

On a political note, this is exactly why trump won and Hillary lost, the democrats have forgotten about the working average American that lives east of I-5 and west of I-95.
I'm not sure why subsidization of industries that are critical to the survival of our planet is a bad thing, and I also don't see why it can't be merged into helping regions most hurt by manufacturing lose (due to globalization, and now (primarily) automation).

We shouldn't be investing billions in dying industries (yes, fossil fuels is a dying industry that we need to get off of sooner rather than later), such as by building arguably-unnecessary oil pipelines. We should rather be focused on building new technologies for the future.

What a campaign it could have been if Trump had run on the promise of bringing NEW jobs to these places - as opposed to old jobs (that likely don't even exist anymore). What a campaign it could have been if he had promised to invigorate those economies with subsidies for future or green energy technologies.

We could repurpose all of those manufacturing factories and manufacturing/engineer workers to work on 21st (and beyond) technology. Invest in the Big 10 universities, stimulate their research minds for working on new energy technologies. Make the Midwest a new global hub of sustainable energy going forward - what a campaign that could have been!

People talk about "energy independence" a lot - and wouldn't it be great if we could truly be energy independent? You get there by both generate the energy here in sustainable ways, and by building the technology and components of that energy revolution right here in our country. No more China...no more India...just good old fashioned US innovation and technologies. We have the money to do this - just not the political will (and if you look at who pulls the strings of our political machine, you don't have to see why this is, oil companies are hugely influential).

Instead of this great opportunity, we're getting empty promises that can't actually be lived up to...unless you're gonna bring back jobs that don't even exist anymore? I mean, let's really think his promises through - what company wants to dismantle their ultra-efficient robots that do work 10X better than a human to put in its place some person in MI?

You guys are being seriously delusional here if you really think his plan is going to do anything substantive (beyond some big headlines, that I'm sure he'll highlight on his twitter feed).

Old 12-05-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I'm not sure why subsidization of industries that are critical to the survival of our planet is a bad thing, and I also don't see why it can't be merged into helping regions most hurt by manufacturing lose (due to globalization, and now (primarily) automation).

We shouldn't be investing billions in dying industries (yes, fossil fuels is a dying industry that we need to get off of sooner rather than later), such as by building arguably-unnecessary oil pipelines. We should rather be focused on building new technologies for the future.

What a campaign it could have been if Trump had run on the promise of bringing NEW jobs to these places - as opposed to old jobs (that likely don't even exist anymore). What a campaign it could have been if he had promised to invigorate those economies with subsidies for future or green energy technologies.

We could repurpose all of those manufacturing factories and manufacturing/engineer workers to work on 21st (and beyond) technology. Invest in the Big 10 universities, stimulate their research minds for working on new energy technologies. Make the Midwest a new global hub of sustainable energy going forward - what a campaign that could have been!

People talk about "energy independence" a lot - and wouldn't it be great if we could truly be energy independent? You get there by both generate the energy here in sustainable ways, and by building the technology and components of that energy revolution right here in our country. No more China...no more India...just good old fashioned US innovation and technologies. We have the money to do this - just not the political will (and if you look at who pulls the strings of our political machine, you don't have to see why this is, oil companies are hugely influential).

Instead of this great opportunity, we're getting empty promises that can't actually be lived up to...unless you're gonna bring back jobs that don't even exist anymore? I mean, let's really think his promises through - what company wants to dismantle their ultra-efficient robots that do work 10X better than a human to put in its place some person in MI?

You guys are being seriously delusional here if you really think his plan is going to do anything substantive (beyond some big headlines, that I'm sure he'll highlight on his twitter feed).
People who think fossil fuels is a dying industry are completly detached from reality. This isn't the 70's anymore. We have more oil/ng than we know what to do with. Prices are low since supply is so high. Every year we hear about another "largest oil field ever" found and technology is at a point where we can access most fields safely.

The only was to truely get off of fossil fuels is to builds hundreds of nuclear power plants across the nation, for some reason people who think we should stop using fossil fuel thinks this is a bad idea. The techonolgy to do this is decades old. They can even build reactors that burn old spent fuel rods reducing the previous nuclear waste.

The vast majority of manufacturing isnt done by robots, FYI.

His headline are already a positive, generally. It will be easy to top Obama with his hallmark bill of Obamacare that drove up costs and made a crappy health care and job market even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland