Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 09:59 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

OP, if you're spending this kind of money on a home, why not get a place in north Berkeley, Claremont (south Berkeley hills) or Lafayette? The Lamorinda area has great schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 10:44 AM

68 posts, read 74,277 times
I thought the age of "McMansions" was over

Old 12-14-2016, 12:52 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Me View Post
I thought the age of "McMansions" was over
Garish displays of wealth are always popular here

Old 12-14-2016, 03:15 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
1.5 million homes are usually filled with parents that can afford private schools
But they don't like the logistics of having to drop and pick kids everyday.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:18 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I don't think that's necessarily true in the Bay Area. Because after that huge mortgage payment, then you need an amount equal to a small mortgage payment for tuition.

My take is that a lot of people who buy into the 1.5M+ tiny tract homes areas, do it specifically because they won't have to consider private schools, because that area offers a top school district.

For instance..if you can shave 20-25K a year off your mortgage payment by spending 1.0M in San Jose, instead of 1.5M in Sunnyvale, or maybe Cupertino if you're lucky, then you can send your kid to Harker. But if you have to spend 1.2M, then you can only afford Mitty. And if you have to spend 1.3M, then you can only afford Bellarmine, say.

I think a lot of people stretch to get into these properties because the alternative is a cheaper house but a big (non tax deductible) tuition payment.
Logistics is also a problem, it's not just affordability. My kid was accepted to Harker, but we thought about it and then decided that it was better for her to go locally. If you work at Facebook, the old Sun building I presume, than its madness to drive kids to Harker everyday.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:48 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
I do like having both a living room and a family room, but there isn't even one bedroom or den on the first floor, and only a tiny, windowless powder room on the first floor.

If you are asking for opinions, I don't care for the design at all, and if you can afford that price, I would look elsewhere. Do you absolutely insist upon a brand new house?

Old 12-19-2016, 01:48 PM

6 posts, read 13,254 times
Thanks guys but we’ve made up our minds. The main pros are close commute to Palo Alto where we both work, and close proximity to family in Newark who are willing to help with our daughter and pick up and drop off her from school. Lafayette/Berkeley are at least one hour one way even in non-peak times. We just don’t want to be commuting that far. Plus, most of our family and friends live in the Peninsula/Newark area.

As for the schools, currently the elementary school is unassigned since the elementary schools are most impacted. The Fremont school district will try place kids in the nearby schools and most Fremont schools are pretty good. The proposal to send to Newark/Union City has been taken off the table. But honestly I know some people who went to Fremont/Newark/Union City schools and they went to good colleges and are doing well. Plus there are a lot of new developments and folks who are moving in are spending $1M+ so I think naturally the schools improve overtime.

As for the house itself, it fits our needs as we entertain quite a big. 4 good sized bedrooms, formal living and dining rooms, a huge kitchen with a separate nook and a big family room. Granted the yard is small but we are vegetarians/vegan and don’t BBQ but its enough for a nice fire pit. Plus there are a lot of parks and hiking trails around. Granted $1.5M may sound like a lot, but its actually not a lot when I talk to friends and co-workers who are buying in the peninsula!

I do agree it stinks really bad when you are crossing the bridge but I didn’t smell it at all close to the houses.

The other main pro is that since its new construction we are able to pick out all the finishes and colors we want including kitchen/bathroom cabinet styles and colors and countertops, flooring all throughout, fireplace mantels, etc. We don’t have to pay for someone else’s finishes and can customize how we want.

Anyway, we plan to stay for 10-15 years, pay the house off and then retire and open our own business. At that point we will have a lot of flexibility over where to live such as Walnut Creek or Danville, etc.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:52 AM

12 posts, read 13,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellaluna16 View Post
Thanks guys but we’ve made up our minds. The main pros are close commute to Palo Alto where we both work, and close proximity to family in Newark who are willing to help with our daughter and pick up and drop off her from school. Lafayette/Berkeley are at least one hour one way even in non-peak times. We just don’t want to be commuting that far. Plus, most of our family and friends live in the Peninsula/Newark area.

As for the schools, currently the elementary school is unassigned since the elementary schools are most impacted. The Fremont school district will try place kids in the nearby schools and most Fremont schools are pretty good. The proposal to send to Newark/Union City has been taken off the table. But honestly I know some people who went to Fremont/Newark/Union City schools and they went to good colleges and are doing well. Plus there are a lot of new developments and folks who are moving in are spending $1M+ so I think naturally the schools improve overtime.

As for the house itself, it fits our needs as we entertain quite a big. 4 good sized bedrooms, formal living and dining rooms, a huge kitchen with a separate nook and a big family room. Granted the yard is small but we are vegetarians/vegan and don’t BBQ but its enough for a nice fire pit. Plus there are a lot of parks and hiking trails around. Granted $1.5M may sound like a lot, but its actually not a lot when I talk to friends and co-workers who are buying in the peninsula!

I do agree it stinks really bad when you are crossing the bridge but I didn’t smell it at all close to the houses.

The other main pro is that since its new construction we are able to pick out all the finishes and colors we want including kitchen/bathroom cabinet styles and colors and countertops, flooring all throughout, fireplace mantels, etc. We don’t have to pay for someone else’s finishes and can customize how we want.

Anyway, we plan to stay for 10-15 years, pay the house off and then retire and open our own business. At that point we will have a lot of flexibility over where to live such as Walnut Creek or Danville, etc.
Congratulations Stellaluna16. Sounds like you have a great plan moving forward. I think living in the Ardenwood and Newark areas are super convenient for those of us working on the Peninsula. A lot of money is being poured into these areas accordingly to develop it. I followed similar logic as the one you outlined and bought in Newark. I've been very happy with our home, neighbors and neighborhood. Wishing you the same :-)

Old 12-25-2016, 08:54 PM

423 posts, read 610,028 times
OP: Good for you. If it works for you, then that's all it matters.

My take. 3 most important factors in real estate are location, location, and location. Newark/Fremont is a nice area. But it is cheap-er for a reason. If you want large house , then that works for you. For general investment and "better" real estate location, for that same price gets you a smaller and older place in peninsula.

I lived in Newark, south San Jose, and peninsula. The peninsula is the worst value in terms of $/sq feet. But peninsula to me is best in location, general living, and investment.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:34 PM

6 posts, read 13,254 times
Thank you ambessa! I'm glad to hear that you are happy in Newark! We have family there (close to the old Sun buildings) and we are glad to be close by!

jk88cal, I totally get what you're trying to say but we do want a large house and really do need the family's help with our daughter so it makes sense for us to be in Fremont. If our family was in the peninsula and the cost wasn't so high there, then we would consider it. However, we do hang out there frequently and its just a quick 20 minute drive to have dinner there on a Saturday night so all in all it works out for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland