Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 11:48 AM

4 posts, read 3,421 times

Advertisements

What areas would you recommend for someone looking for film work? LA is daunting because I don't have a car, and I've heard that the cost of living is outrageous. But if the Bay- Area doesn't have opportunities, what would you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 11:57 AM

102,099 posts, read 107,250,308 times
The COL in the Bay Area is more outrageous than in LA; LA would actually be your more affordable option. However, for some aspects of film production, you can live anywhere, and telecommute. I knew someone in Seattle who "worked in the film industry" doing animation for a producer in LA.

If you need help with a job search, this probably isn't the best forum for your inquiry. Have you met with the job placement staff at your university for leads and help? They're probably your best resource.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:13 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,686,167 times
^^^^^^^What she said. OP's are not being realistic.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:04 PM

121 posts, read 141,994 times
If you want to be in the bay area, in a good location where you don't have to have a car I'd suggest downtown Oakland. You need to be a bit careful about the location as some areas are going to be a bit rough and some positively lovely. You should be looking for a one bedroom at the price point you mentioned.

Walnut Creek, within walking distance of BART, could also work. Its more suburban so a car would be a good idea there but if you're compelled to move here you may want to consider that and go without a car for a year or two. You'll have to stand on the BART commute, and you should price the cost of commuting on BART.

Oakland would be far better in terms of urban amenities and just having fun but thats going to cost you.

What about Canada? Vancouver or Toronto.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:48 PM

24,350 posts, read 26,795,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audreymara95 View Post
What areas would you recommend for someone looking for film work? LA is daunting because I don't have a car, and I've heard that the cost of living is outrageous. But if the Bay- Area doesn't have opportunities, what would you suggest?
Kink.com is always hiring in SF, I'm not sure on the pay though. It's probably pretty good depending on the film.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:54 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,693,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol! I don't think they're talking about $3000 per person.
That was your question, is that what you mean individually.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
And when I say "film Industry" you can take that lightly. I have a dual major in Digital Media Productions and Communications so I'm looking for any entry levels jobs that might resonate within these fields
My daughter's friend is in the film industry and she is renting in Oakland. But she is living with her fiancé who is working in a high tech job. She doesn't have a car and just moved from LA area. She was also working in the film industry down there.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:26 PM

102,099 posts, read 107,250,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
That was your question, is that what you mean individually.
Yes, I asked the OP to clarify, because it wouldn't make sense that she was talking about paying $9000 rent, lol! But somebody just suggested she get a $3000 I-br. place in Oakland. So clearly, clarification was needed.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,760,295 times
Quote:
Atlanta. Wilmington or Asheville, NC. While you'd want a car inneother place, they are way cheaper and have growing film industries.

The Bay Area has very little in the film industry and is outrageously expensive. You'd be better served going to NYC because there are way more opportunities. And more cheaper housing options that don't require a car.

The Bay Area is really expensive and 90% requires a car. And if you aren't in NYC- you'll likely need a car to be in that industry. Location can be anywhere.

Also Vancouver and Toronto are pricey but also have a good amount of fun work and are far more transit friendly than pretty much anywhere in the US.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:34 PM

I've heard, Atlanta has better film industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland