Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 11:41 PM

99 posts, read 166,637 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the Bay Area and have found a great 3 month sublease in Oakland, but come Spring, I'll be in search of permanent housing. I know there's no single answer to this question and that the answer will vary depending upon the neighborhood, the type of building, whether it's a studio/1br or an apartment share and whether it's an individual owner or a larger property management company.

If one's looking to spend $1650-1850/mo on rent in the city of SF, South SF, Oakland, Berkeley, what should one's minimum income and FICO credit score be? In other words, what numbers should one have in the "income" and "credit score" column to be shopping around in that range and make it into the landlord's 'yes' pile for a ~$1750/mo apartment (or room in a larger apartment)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 10:20 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCali View Post
I'm moving to the Bay Area and have found a great 3 month sublease in Oakland, but come Spring, I'll be in search of permanent housing. I know there's no single answer to this question and that the answer will vary depending upon the neighborhood, the type of building, whether it's a studio/1br or an apartment share and whether it's an individual owner or a larger property management company.

If one's looking to spend $1650-1850/mo on rent in the city of SF, South SF, Oakland, Berkeley, what should one's minimum income and FICO credit score be? In other words, what numbers should one have in the "income" and "credit score" column to be shopping around in that range and make it into the landlord's 'yes' pile for a ~$1750/mo apartment (or room in a larger apartment)?
In a high demand area like SF, expect 2.5 to 3.0 x the monthly rent. FICO should be well above 650. No evictions on your record (that was an automatic no for my rental properties), and no history of delinquencies within the past 36 months (another automatic no).

Old 01-10-2017, 12:17 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
In a high demand area like SF, expect 2.5 to 3.0 x the monthly rent. FICO should be well above 650. No evictions on your record (that was an automatic no for my rental properties), and no history of delinquencies within the past 36 months (another automatic no).
All above true - and I'd really emphasize the 2.5x - 3x income thing. I would try to push that above 3x as you'll run into plenty of competition (that won't have that hang up, and will win out over you as a result).

If that's out of reach for you, roommate/housemate situations are your best bet. You'll also save a lot of money that way (but I understand that lifestyle isn't everyone's ideal).

Old 01-11-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
They might be more flexible with a 3 month sublease, I don't think there is a huge demand for those unless it's renewable.
I think the OP is currently in a sublease and is looking for something more permanent now. Unless I misread?

Old 01-11-2017, 11:33 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I think the OP is currently in a sublease and is looking for something more permanent now. Unless I misread?
You are correct, I will delete my post if I still can, Thanks

Old 01-11-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You are correct, I will delete my post if I still can, Thanks
It's OK - the first time I skimmed it, I thought the OP was looking for the same thing, too.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:00 AM

99 posts, read 166,637 times
Yes, to be clear, I'm moving to the Bay Area in Feb and have a sublease in Oakland for Feb. 1 - April 30. Just thinking ahead to May onward when I'll be looking for permanent housing. BTW, when we say 3x rent for income, do we mean gross or net pay?

Old 01-12-2017, 11:59 AM

4 posts, read 5,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCali View Post
Yes, to be clear, I'm moving to the Bay Area in Feb and have a sublease in Oakland for Feb. 1 - April 30. Just thinking ahead to May onward when I'll be looking for permanent housing. BTW, when we say 3x rent for income, do we mean gross or net pay?

The 3x monthly income is typically gross pay, but it should be noted that it does not include bonuses and other compensation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: