Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 04:43 PM

308 posts, read 467,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonview View Post
No do not look at fremont, opposite of what you're looking for
Fremont is not going to provide you with many entertainment options although it is better than Pleasanton. As another poster mentioned, strip malls with diverse food offerings is what you are looking at in Fremont. For social nightlife, you are looking at SF and Oakland. If entertainment is the only factor in your decision, don't go there.

For me, if I "had a job in Pleasanton, but the job will also require substantial travel to Santa Clara, San Jose"- If substantial means one day a week, shuffling down to San Jose is not a big deal from Oakland. If it's much more than that, 880 sucks - 7 days a week. I live in Alameda, I know this commute well. It's not bad 24x7 but you can count on slowdowns any day of the week and for substantial time spans of the day during the week. Right now, at 3:15 pm, solid red on google from Oakland to Fremont.

It begs the question- at 40, do you want to live in cool areas that offers much to do outside your door and then suffer a bad commute on weekdays, or reverse that equation. I would probably make do with living in Fremont and entertaining in the Southbay while I am there 'substantially'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 07:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-Gee View Post
Thank you for all the replies: I went to Lake Merrit yesterday (just drivethrough) - wasn't impressed too much.
Will check out Rockridge & Walnut Creek.

BART Access is important for me to get to SFO airport & SF downtown without a car ( Don't drink & Drive)
Warning - Bay Area neighborhoods do not generally look very impressive. Especially if impressive is new and shiny. Driving through tells you not a whole lot. You'll want to stroll around the main streets. In Oakland - College Ave, Lakeshore, Piedmont Ave, Grand Ave (near lake park).

Walnut Creek is suburban with a good main street shopping area. Along Main Street and the adjacent areas. The rest is typical burb.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:47 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Try north Berkeley, as well.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:55 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbnsf View Post
It begs the question- at 40, do you want to live in cool areas that offers much to do outside your door and then suffer a bad commute on weekdays, or reverse that equation. I would probably make do with living in Fremont and entertaining in the Southbay while I am there 'substantially'.
This is a good point, and as more people continue to move here traffic will only get worse. As someone who used to have to drive 1-1.5 hrs each way to get home every day, I highly suggest living somewhere central to your working locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland