Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 12:27 AM

3 posts, read 3,134 times

Advertisements

I've lived in SF for a couple years now and it's not bad. The one thing that has really worn me down is the obscene amount of trash, feces, and homeless people you have to tiptoe over to get to work. We all know the drill.

I was planning to move some time this year (currently in the Castro), and I'm wondering if any non-suburban neighborhoods have fewer crazies walking around. I know some people insist that the hobos are part of the city's charm, but these half-gentrified neighborhoods are not for me. Much as I love coffee.

I was eyeing Lower Pac Heights or the Marina, as both give off more of a well-off yuppie vibe. But it's not like the homeless in the Castro live there (I think), so that may not make a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 01:46 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindKILLER View Post
I've lived in SF for a couple years now and it's not bad. The one thing that has really worn me down is the obscene amount of trash, feces, and homeless people you have to tiptoe over to get to work. We all know the drill.

I was planning to move some time this year (currently in the Castro), and I'm wondering if any non-suburban neighborhoods have fewer crazies walking around. I know some people insist that the hobos are part of the city's charm, but these half-gentrified neighborhoods are not for me. Much as I love coffee.

I was eyeing Lower Pac Heights or the Marina, as both give off more of a well-off yuppie vibe. But it's not like the homeless in the Castro live there (I think), so that may not make a difference.
Hunters point

Old 01-22-2017, 11:26 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Chicago.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Are SF natives really so at peace with the homelessness that anyone who's sick of it must be a troll? This place is worse than I thought.
You can go to the Midwest and live in a neighborhood like atherton for 300k.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:01 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Are SF natives really so at peace with the homelessness that anyone who's sick of it must be a troll? This place is worse than I thought.
If you actually lived in San Francisco, you'd already know which neighborhoods where you would be least likely to see mentally ill and rampant homelessness.

I don't ever recall anyone on this forum discussing the homeless problem as part of the City's "charm", btw.

The trollish nature of your post is blatantly obvious to anyone that's been on these forums for a while.

If "the place is worse than you thought", you certainly wouldn't be looking to stay and/or pay more for a rent controlled apartment in the Castro (which is a fine neighborhood).

If you lived in the City, you'd know that nobody's at peace with it. What are citizens to do exactly other than vote for people that have better ideas for dealing with the problem? What are YOU doing about it? Troll.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
If you actually lived in San Francisco, you'd already know which neighborhoods where you would be least likely to see mentally ill and rampant homelessness.

I don't ever recall anyone on this forum discussing the homeless problem as part of the City's "charm", btw.

The trollish nature of your post is blatantly obvious to anyone that's been on these forums for a while.

If "the place is worse than you thought", you certainly wouldn't be looking to stay and/or pay more for a rent controlled apartment in the Castro (which is a fine neighborhood).

If you lived in the City, you'd know that nobody's at peace with it. What are citizens to do exactly other than vote for people that have better ideas for dealing with the problem? What are YOU doing about it? Troll.
Sounds like I hit a nerve

I'm not some LA or NY native trying to mess with you. If you're not at peace with the problem, then that's great! Neither am I. Which is why I'm wondering if I'll feel comfortable in certain neighborhoods, or if I should just look for work elsewhere in a year or two. I've dropped by the Marina for Susie Cakes but I haven't hung around much. Figured I'd ask in case anyone has experience actually living up there.

Of course every reply so far has been some variant of "if you don't like the homeless, just leave," which maybe explains why I've always felt people were okay with it.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:

I'm not some LA or NY native trying to mess with you. If you're not at peace with the problem, then that's great! Neither am I. Which is why I'm wondering if I'll feel comfortable in certain neighborhoods, or if I should just look for work elsewhere in a year or two. I've dropped by the Marina for Susie Cakes but I haven't hung around much. Figured I'd ask in case anyone has experience actually living up there.

Of course every reply so far has been some variant of "if you don't like the homeless, just leave," which maybe explains why I've always felt people were okay with it.
If you hate homeless people you can leave.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:48 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

The bolded is what trolls say. Be careful, or you'll confirm people's suspicions.

But taking your post on good faith, I can only offer suggestions that I'm sure you've already thought of: a move to the East Bay, commuting in to the City, or locations west of Twin Peaks, which you probably regard as too far an in-city commute to your job location, or maybe too foggy. But the Richmond and the Presidio are pretty good locations to avoid homelessness. As to Pacific Heights, that sounds promising. Is there anything stopping you from taking a few strolls through the neighborhood to see for yourself, and strike up chats with local residents?

Old 01-22-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is there anything stopping you from taking a few strolls through the neighborhood to see for yourself, and strike up chats with local residents?
Thanks. And I plan on taking a few more strolls soon. Sometimes it's hard to tell what a neighborhood is really like from just a visit or two, but perhaps I'll try and plan my next few outings in the area. Might give the Inner Richmond another try too, though Outer would be pushing it commute-wise.

How is North Beach, by the way? That's another area that felt oddly nice the couple times I visited.

Most of my time in the city has been around Castro, Hayes, Mission, SoMa, etc — I feel like I've barely touched the more northern neighborhoods. My area right now isn't bad, but perhaps there's better out there.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:01 PM

992 posts, read 876,254 times
I would recommend SoMa, North Beach, Nob Hill, Russian Hill, and Noe Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland