Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:19 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
I think I want to stick to the South or North, instead of way out east.
I'll check out Palo Alto and Sunnyvale areas, and Los Gatos as the other guy after you recommended.

From what I've read online, much of the north west bay area towns are good but people say to avoid Marin City, which seems odd since the entire area seems like it's mostly affluent or upper middle class.

Petaluma is one city that I really like, at least going by the info I've read online and pictures.
I might also consider looking at areas within San Francisco like Pacific Heights, Russian Hill, Marina, etc.
Although the population density would be much more than I am use to, those neighborhoods look very attractive and I'd be able to walk or bike to a bunch of different places. The only major thing that would concern me is big city crime. I'm not yet enlightened on what areas of San Francisco are safest and which should be avoided. Maybe you guys can chime in on that?

Normally I'd want to avoid living right near a big city, but San Francisco looks so inviting in pictures -- I'll definitely get a good on-the-ground perspective when I visit there during the summer.
It takes 25 minutes to get to San Francisco from Orinda. Petaluma is about an hour.
You are trying to choose between Petaluma where a 1200 sq foot home runs around $500,000 and Palo Alto where a 1200 sq foot home will cost $2 million?
Most people interested in buying a home have a price point,desired amenities and distance from downtown that they are considering. Posting after you have figured these thing out will give you better responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 09:00 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,054,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
It takes 25 minutes to get to San Francisco from Orinda. Petaluma is about an hour.
You are trying to choose between Petaluma where a 1200 sq foot home runs around $500,000 and Palo Alto where a 1200 sq foot home will cost $2 million?
Most people interested in buying a home have a price point,desired amenities and distance from downtown that they are considering. Posting after you have figured these thing out will give you better responses
My price point would be no greater than $8 million for a home, so that gives me plenty of options. I have no need for more than 3,000 sq. feet, so I'd like to keep it around there or slightly under that. My main requirement is that the area be pretty safe and have quick access to decent shopping, restaurants, grocery, etc, and also be within an hour's drive of good places for hiking and other nature acitivities.

I could probably afford to live in almost any locale in the Bay area, I'm just trying to grapple with whether I'd want to experience living in the big city or stick to what I'm use to (suburbs and small towns). With the impressive golden gate park, numerous restaurants and shopping, San Francisco actually has a lot of appeal to me. From what I've been reading, the west side area near Golden Gate Park is very safe (Richmond district) and also the areas adjacent to the presidio.

Last edited by Masterful_Man; 01-27-2017 at 09:11 AM..

Old 01-27-2017, 10:55 AM

264 posts, read 413,805 times
Sausalito without question, you can view the city, get to the city, get to Napa/Sonoma without going through the city, but if feels like a small beach town, safe & affluent, boutique shops and restaurants, and a lot more sunny days. That's where I'd retire to with an $8m budget. Second would be Carmel if I didn't want to be close to a big city.

https://www.redfin.com/city/17978/CA...085:-122.51638

Old 01-27-2017, 02:42 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
My price point would be no greater than $8 million for a home, so that gives me plenty of options. I have no need for more than 3,000 sq. feet, so I'd like to keep it around there or slightly under that. My main requirement is that the area be pretty safe and have quick access to decent shopping, restaurants, grocery, etc, and also be within an hour's drive of good places for hiking and other nature acitivities.

I could probably afford to live in almost any locale in the Bay area, I'm just trying to grapple with whether I'd want to experience living in the big city or stick to what I'm use to (suburbs and small towns). With the impressive golden gate park, numerous restaurants and shopping, San Francisco actually has a lot of appeal to me. From what I've been reading, the west side area near Golden Gate Park is very safe (Richmond district) and also the areas adjacent to the presidio.
With 8 million to spend, you have options anywhere in the City. Pacific Heights, the Marina District, Presidio Heights, Sea Cliff, St. Francis Woods, and Forest Hill are some really nice neighborhoods that come to mind.

Hell, with that much money, you could afford a City house and a country house somewhere else in the region (pretty much anywhere)...

It's really hard to recommend just one place as there are many nice and safe areas in the Bay Area (if money is no object). Take a visit and check out the entire region. See what areas you like best, and look for a house in those areas.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 01-27-2017 at 03:27 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 03:16 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Sausalito without question, you can view the city, get to the city, get to Napa/Sonoma without going through the city, but if feels like a small beach town, safe & affluent, boutique shops and restaurants, and a lot more sunny days.
Sausalito would be the LAST place in California that I would relocate to! Bridge traffic jams everyday and especially on the weekends!

Traffic Nightmare - Marin Magazine - June 2016 - Marin County, California

Despite efforts, Golden Gate Bridge traffic may be unsolvable - by j_rodriguez - The San Francisco Examiner

Welcome To 'Traffic Jam,' ... Err, Tamalpais Valley - Mill Valley, CA Patch

Old 01-27-2017, 04:43 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
OP isn't really concerned about traffic and you can take the ferry from Sausalito.

Last edited by sav858; 01-27-2017 at 05:07 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 04:59 PM

901 posts, read 1,167,720 times
and the OP has no money issues, and can enjoy an uber, lyft, or taxi back home at his leisure. Sausalito is probably at worst 10 or 15 minutes longer drive from SF than compared to Palo Alto

but at the 8 million level, and wanting the city, screw it, just get a view home in Pacific Heights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
OP is really concerned about traffic and you can take the ferry from Sausalito.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:02 AM

187 posts, read 206,330 times
With $8 million to spend, I'd look at Atherton. You'll be a little above the median home price for the area ($7.2 million according to Forbes), but it's easily the nicest "suburb" in the bay area. Right next to Palo Alto for local night life and Stanford for a little culture, and just a short trip up 280 to San Francisco if you want to go big.

San Francisco is an incredible city to visit and much of it is breathtakingly beautiful. But I think you would find some aspects of the City a bit overwhelming if you lived there:
- glut of millennial hipsters all trying to get rich off tech but who, ironically, actually hate people that are already rich
- really difficult homeless problems and way more human feces than should be on any city streets
- extreme left wing politics and wanton government waste ($9 billion budget for a city of 840,000 people - that's slightly higher than LA's budget with 3 million less people)

Old 01-28-2017, 01:30 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Also consider the Monterey Peninsula region. Pacific Grove may be a good option. The beautiful Asilomar beach trail is there. Monterey is adjacent with additional restaurants and nightlife (Pacific Grove rolls up the sidewalks early, but Monterey does not. Lol). With your budget, you could also afford Carmel or Pebble Beach, which are also both near Monterey. All are safe areas. There are famous car shows, the Monterey Jazz Festival, Monterey Bay Aquarium, great golf courses, and many parks and trails. Big Sur is a short drive south and nearby Salinas has a nice air show in September.

Last edited by chessgeek; 01-28-2017 at 02:27 AM..

Old 01-28-2017, 08:30 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,054,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
If I lived in Sausalito I'd probably bike to SF.
Are there bicycle lanes or a bike trail that leads to the golden gate bridge from Sausalito?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland