Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:24 PM

161 posts, read 695,409 times

Advertisements

California seems pretty easy to fit into. unless your a jerk or really pretentous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 11:46 PM

73 posts, read 472,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Flip flops and shorts, Lattes and bong hits.
Where do I sign up? Seriously though, I thought the days of "bring your dog and your keg to work" were over. Is it really like that?

Old 03-05-2008, 06:55 PM

409 posts, read 1,826,694 times
Default seen this before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcking View Post
Where do I sign up? Seriously though, I thought the days of "bring your dog and your keg to work" were over. Is it really like that?
Oh, they will be again, soon enough.

Serious companies in SF tend to much more relaxed in the business environment than the East Coast but it is matched by a hard-work culture.

The market is great for a sr java programmer with an engineering degree. Career-wise the bay area is a good move for you.

Nursing shortage in california is not a joke. The nursing programs can't turn them out fast enough.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:08 PM

25 posts, read 113,841 times
Default java programming

No, not at all... as a matter of fact I'm from the east coast and so are many others out here. It definitely is more laid back but it also depends on the company...
Companies out here are looking for both talent and someone they like, i.e. someone who has the same attitude, values, work ethic as they do. If you are working with a good recruiter then you should have no problem since they should prep you for the interview. Part of their job is to make sure you get the job, (hence they get commision) so they will tell you who is going to interview you, what the culture of the company is like, what 'type' of person they want to hire etc.. and they should not be sending you out on wild chases if you are not a good match to begin with. Be prepared for a series of interviews with the entire company staff. It can be somewhat competitive but I still believe you will be ok, 'talented' java programmers are hard to find in SF. I would check out what some of the companies are looking. Look at some of the job postings and determine where you are at, that would be helpful. One site if you haven't been there already is...

All java programmer jobs in California | Indeed.com

this will give you an idea of what is out here. Lots of recruiters post here. If you are not a member of linked in check that out too.
LinkedIn: Relationships Matter

Also, determine what type of company you want to work for, big, small, medium. Long hours, moderate hours? People work long hrs here... You can get into a law firm, a fun place like Pixar, or any other there's so much to choose from. I've worked with many... and placed many.
CA is expensive but it has a lot to offer. Good Luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponks View Post
Thanks, gccpsy. That's an encouraging response. What exactly do you mean by "fitting into the culture" of the company? Would this be an issue with someone like me coming from the East Coast?

Old 04-24-2009, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,595 times
I work for a software startup company that has recently laid off some support and marketing people, but we are hiring engineers still! It seems like we are always hiring engineers here, and if you are skilled there is always a position in the silicon valley..being over saturated is crap because there is always a new company starting somewhere here (even in this economy)..

Old 04-24-2009, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,595 times
Oh..about neighborhoods. Avoid Concord - there can be some nice areas but most of it is ghetto. Lafayette, San Ramon, Orinda, and Pleasant Hill are also nice. Danville and San Anselmo are for the uber-rich.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:23 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,037,984 times
Is it me but I think this thread is OLD?

Old 04-24-2009, 05:06 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,955,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Is it me but I think this thread is OLD?
Seems over a year old..I'm sure the OP must be here already..possibly already laid off!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:16 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,278,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krustinator View Post
Oh..about neighborhoods. Avoid Concord - there can be some nice areas but most of it is ghetto. Lafayette, San Ramon, Orinda, and Pleasant Hill are also nice. Danville and San Anselmo are for the uber-rich.
LOL @ most of concord being "Ghetto". Forker is that you?

Old 04-24-2009, 08:01 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,294,910 times
Do you have jobs where you live now? If so, don't do it. If not, no harm done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland