Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 06:22 PM

522 posts, read 736,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Hillsborough? Atherton? Portolla Valley? Los altos hills? Woodside? All of those come to mind before Oakland hills or piedmont.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...42_rect/14_zm/

These prices are up there with Silicon Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 07:52 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...42_rect/14_zm/

These prices are up there with Silicon Valley.
Eh, that's like
Belmont price.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:37 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,144,384 times
Keep these "in its glory" videos coming.

And from the sounds of it, it's soon to become another overpriced Bay Area town so the OP is just ahead of the curve.

Last edited by ryanthegoldengod; 03-31-2017 at 04:55 PM..

Old 04-06-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Eh, that's like
Belmont price.
Also most of the workers in Silicon Valley seem to want to be in the Bay's urban core, rather than South Bay suburbia.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 6,525 times
So what are the safest nice parts of Vallejo? Can you please name the neighborhoods rather than street names if possible? I've heard about Glen Cove but not anywhere else ... Schools not an issue for our family.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Lola View Post
So what are the safest nice parts of Vallejo? Can you please name the neighborhoods rather than street names if possible? I've heard about Glen Cove but not anywhere else ... Schools not an issue for our family.
Glen Cove, as you've heard, is very nice. I'm going to make a list of Vallejo neighborhoods to consider and to avoid.

Consider: Glen Cove, Vallejo Heights, Heritage District, Mare Island, The Vista, Grant Mahoney Park, Home Acres, Somerset Highlands, Hiddenbrooke, anything east of I-80 that's north of Tennessee Street.

Mixed bag: Steffan manor, anything east of I-80 that's south of Tennessee Street north 780 and the area near the hospitals.
S
Avoid: Country Club Crest, Millersville, Beverly Hills, College Park, Delta Meadows, South Vallejo, any home on a main road (Sonoma Blvd, Redwood, Tennessee, Georgia, Sereno Springs Road, etc.)

Hope this helps.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:18 PM

102,189 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Glen Cove, as you've heard, is very nice. I'm going to make a list of Vallejo neighborhoods to consider and to avoid.

Consider: Glen Cove, Vallejo Heights, Heritage District, Mare Island, The Vista, Grant Mahoney Park, Home Acres, Somerset Highlands, Hiddenbrooke, anything east of I-80 that's north of Tennessee Street.

Mixed bag: Steffan manor, anything east of I-80 that's south of Tennessee Street north 780 and the area near the hospitals.
S
Avoid: Country Club Crest, Millersville, Beverly Hills, College Park, Delta Meadows, South Vallejo, any home on a main road (Sonoma Blvd, Redwood, Tennessee, Georgia, Sereno Springs Road, etc.)

Hope this helps.
Pix, you're priceless! We need you to check in just a little more often, because we do get inquiries about Vallejo. I'm so glad you saw this one! Cheers!

Old 09-23-2018, 05:57 AM

4 posts, read 6,525 times
Quote:

S

Hope this helps.
Super helpful! Thank you!

Old 06-16-2019, 03:13 AM

5 posts, read 4,178 times
I came across this thread while trying to find out more about living in Vallejo. I signed up just to follow and comment and hopefully hear more from the OP.

I grew up in the East Bay and as a kid the only thing I knew of Vallejo is that one drove through it to get to Marine World and that the town smelled bad.

I was living in SF when it was announced that Vallejo had gone bankrupt. For years after I tried to convince people to move with me to Vallejo to start a new SF without all the techie b.s. I told them of the cheap prices, warm weather, that it had cool old houses and was on the bay. I pointed out that one could commute to SF by Ferry. Nobody bought my plan.

In 2017 I bought a house in an "up and coming" neighborhood in Oakland. That means lots of fireworks, neighbors having amplified outdoor parties til after 3am, driveway being blocked over and over with no way to get my car out because the police would never show, sewage leaking in the street and the city ignoring all the calls from the neighborhood, and stray dogs running down the street. No, really. And this was NOT far/deep East Oakland. For many reasons I sold my house and now I'm trying to find a decent house somewhere QUIET, with weather comparable to Oakland. I read horror stories about Vallejo, but I see the amazing craftsman and Victorian homes listed at bargain basement prices (for the Bay Area), and I am enticed.

I would love to hear more from the OP.

FWIW, I'm a single woman, self employed, that mostly works from home but does need to make occasional early morning appearances in SF and Oakland/Alameda county. I have not been been the victim of any significant assault/battery/property crime since living in Oakland, and I frequently take walks at night. Growing up here, I'm pretty vigilant about my surroundings, but I also have two large shepherd dogs, and I am always accompanied by at least one, so nobody really bothers me. I am not overly concerned about being a victim of crime in Vallejo, but I am concerned about the police force that seems to have no accountability and having a worse lack of city services than Oakland.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:35 AM

102,189 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brindledog View Post
I came across this thread while trying to find out more about living in Vallejo. I signed up just to follow and comment and hopefully hear more from the OP.

I grew up in the East Bay and as a kid the only thing I knew of Vallejo is that one drove through it to get to Marine World and that the town smelled bad.

I was living in SF when it was announced that Vallejo had gone bankrupt. For years after I tried to convince people to move with me to Vallejo to start a new SF without all the techie b.s. I told them of the cheap prices, warm weather, that it had cool old houses and was on the bay. I pointed out that one could commute to SF by Ferry. Nobody bought my plan.

In 2017 I bought a house in an "up and coming" neighborhood in Oakland. That means lots of fireworks, neighbors having amplified outdoor parties til after 3am, driveway being blocked over and over with no way to get my car out because the police would never show, sewage leaking in the street and the city ignoring all the calls from the neighborhood, and stray dogs running down the street. No, really. And this was NOT far/deep East Oakland. For many reasons I sold my house and now I'm trying to find a decent house somewhere QUIET, with weather comparable to Oakland. I read horror stories about Vallejo, but I see the amazing craftsman and Victorian homes listed at bargain basement prices (for the Bay Area), and I am enticed.

I would love to hear more from the OP.

FWIW, I'm a single woman, self employed, that mostly works from home but does need to make occasional early morning appearances in SF and Oakland/Alameda county. I have not been been the victim of any significant assault/battery/property crime since living in Oakland, and I frequently take walks at night. Growing up here, I'm pretty vigilant about my surroundings, but I also have two large shepherd dogs, and I am always accompanied by at least one, so nobody really bothers me. I am not overly concerned about being a victim of crime in Vallejo, but I am concerned about the police force that seems to have no accountability and having a worse lack of city services than Oakland.
The OP is female, too, I'm not sure if that was clear. She's a pioneer. You sound like a visionary, too! I think the ferry service from V. to SF should add service to Alameda or Oakland, as well. And yes, I wish the OP would pay us a visit, to update us with her Vallejo experience.

I think if you follow her neighborhood recommendations, you'll be ok. Vallejo is already changing, and will continue to improve. And as that process continues. prices will be going up as well, of course. I hope you find your spot, there, and that it works out. You might also consider Benicia, though that would be more pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland