Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 02:57 PM

43 posts, read 55,969 times

Advertisements

I am a long time resident of the Bay Area. I will soon be selling some property in the East Bay and will need to reinvest it. I was looking at single family homes in $425-$500K price range. It looks like Tracy would be the closest to the Bay Area in that price range. My goal is good rental income along with price appreciation. Tracy seems to have a low crime rate and fairly good schools.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 04:16 PM

857 posts, read 959,225 times
How about the East Bay area?

Old 03-06-2017, 05:07 PM

711 posts, read 688,378 times
You may want to keep an eye on Castro Valley as well. Schools are very good and rentals always seem to be in demand. There aren't a lot in that price range but you'll always see a couple smaller single family homes or condos in that range. CV puts you closer to SF, Oakland, Hayward, Pleasanton, etc. Tracy is a hike and probably a hellish commute. Even driving during non-commute hours isn't easy.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:27 PM

I looked at some property in CV but in that price range most everything was old and in need of renovation.
I was hoping to avoid that by purchasing something a little newer.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:53 PM

522 posts, read 737,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHiker55 View Post
I am a long time resident of the Bay Area. I will soon be selling some property in the East Bay and will need to reinvest it. I was looking at single family homes in $425-$500K price range. It looks like Tracy would be the closest to the Bay Area in that price range. My goal is good rental income along with price appreciation. Tracy seems to have a low crime rate and fairly good schools.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tracy is an exurb (as in it's not within the Bay Area, but serves as a bedroom community for the Bay Area) and when the market finally cools, cities like Tracy are going to see their property values plummet.

Pittsburg, Antioch, Vallejo are all in the Bay Area and all in your price range. Even some smaller places in Pinole, Hercules, Richmond (Richmond has dangerous neighborhoods, so be aware of that),Rodeo, and Concord may also be worth looking into.

If you're looking to invest, make sure it's in the actually boundaries of the Bay Area, the exurbs are last to appreciate and first to devalue.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:23 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Sacramento seems like a smarter play to me. Cheaper. And has the built in jobs of govt, the supporting organizations and growing ranks of tech companies. Intel, Citrix ans Apple have large presences there.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:00 AM

I have considered Sacramento and its bedroom communities such as Roseville, Lincoln and El Dorado Hills.
Any thoughts on these towns?

Old 03-08-2017, 12:19 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHiker55 View Post
I have considered Sacramento and its bedroom communities such as Roseville, Lincoln and El Dorado Hills.
Any thoughts on these towns?

Those are nice solid areas. The thing is, it's hard to find rentals with good returns in Sacramento unless you go into the lower income neighborhoods. Places like Roseville, Lincoln, and EDH are nice but the numbers don't work for me.

Sacramento has a much higher home ownership rate (and much lower percentage of renters). The nicer the neighborhood, the less renters because homes are affordable and those who have solid financials prefer to buy. It's the lower income neighborhoods that have rental demands because the cheap rent makes it attractive to lower income renters who can't afford to buy, usually that means Section 8 tenants.

Sacramento is not the Bay Area where good solid income earners have to rent because homes are so expensive that they either will never afford to buy a place or need a long time to save up the down payment. Sacramento homes are relatively affordable, most people with good credit and stable jobs have already bought homes or would have no trouble doing so. Those who had to rent are usually low income/bad credit types.

I've found that even in nice neighborhoods, the pool of rental applicants usually include mostly lower income renters who are "stretching" their income to get into a nicer place. If you find the ideal tenants (good income, good credit, stable); don't expect them to stay long because they will buy their own place sooner or later (usually sooner). The best tenants I've had are divorcees - they have good income but they lost their homes in the settlement and had to rent until they restore their finance. In other words, they would have been homeowners but due to circumstance had to drop into the rental market.

With that said, I'm not discouraging you from buying in Sacramento. I am telling you it's a different market where the landlord needs a different mindset. I know plenty of people who own rental properties there and are very happy.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:24 PM

This is all good information. Thanks for pointing this out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland