Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 04:39 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,006,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What?? lol. I guess you think if you throw some random tangent out there (like always) it will deflect from your asinine contradictory post. Please enlighten us about this demographic you come from where everyone should be holding doors open for you princess?
I'll take that as a yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 05:09 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
I'll take that as a yes.
I'm sure you would, continue to deflect. Did anyone recognize the demographic you're from and therefore hold the door open for you today?

Old 03-28-2017, 06:48 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,404 times
Some people in SF start inane threads.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:00 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,859,450 times
I've been to SF and the Bay Area for work a few times, and it's very noticeable how cool/friendly people are and how easy it is to talk with strangers. San Fran just has a really cool vibe. One of my favorite cities!

Although out of towners always seem to view cities differently. People say Chicagoans are very friendly, and I don't see that. Overall, I wouldn't consider Chicagoans rude, but I rarely get an overly nice vibe.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:54 PM

209 posts, read 257,384 times
Too friendly, and not enough information, IMO.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:33 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,591 times
Wish I could say I had the same experience, instead I got the stink eye for taking a priority seat on the MUNI. I actually had to stand on the way to my destination, right in front of a perfectly healthy couple who had zero hesitation in jumping up and offering their seats to an older woman while I stood right in front of them for 5 stops.

Really interesting world we live in when strangers at the airport have no issue staring at you as you limp through security, but not one person, employee or otherwise asks you if you're ok or need help.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:49 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,049,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Wish I could say I had the same experience, instead I got the stink eye for taking a priority seat on the MUNI. I actually had to stand on the way to my destination, right in front of a perfectly healthy couple who had zero hesitation in jumping up and offering their seats to an older woman while I stood right in front of them for 5 stops.

Really interesting world we live in when strangers at the airport have no issue staring at you as you limp through security, but not one person, employee or otherwise asks you if you're ok or need help.
I'm confused. Why should you get the priority seat? Do you have a disability or were you pregnant? It sounds like you do have a disability, just one that's not very obvious?

Old 04-06-2017, 06:58 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,170 times
This thread about nice people escalated quickly...

There were some nice people we met when we lived there - they tended to either be transplants (mostly from Chicago) or locals over 50 who refused to fall in line with the rest of the longer-term locals who were hating on any new residents who were paying market rate.

The overall experience was mostly smugness and attitude though. Smugness from the tech people and attitude from the people who had lived in SF for 10+ years who refused to accept that cities change over time and fought it tooth and nail to the further detriment of the area.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:35 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,049,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
This thread about nice people escalated quickly...

There were some nice people we met when we lived there - they tended to either be transplants (mostly from Chicago) or locals over 50 who refused to fall in line with the rest of the longer-term locals who were hating on any new residents who were paying market rate.

The overall experience was mostly smugness and attitude though. Smugness from the tech people and attitude from the people who had lived in SF for 10+ years who refused to accept that cities change over time and fought it tooth and nail to the further detriment of the area.
I would be more interested to hear more about some of these positive interactions, rather than generalizing whole groups of people. Maybe things are different on the Peninsula where I was.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:36 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I'm confused. Why should you get the priority seat? Do you have a disability or were you pregnant? It sounds like you do have a disability, just one that's not very obvious?
I recently sprained my ankle and have been in ace bandages and medical boots for 2 weeks. I'm not supposed to put too much weight on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland