Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,145 times

Advertisements

I am in a state of disbelief at your comment/inquiry? Are you serious? Do you think that you are any different than any of them? I can assure you that you are not impervious to "homelessness", you are no better than a homeless being. It is not an illness, it is a beings state due to multiple circumstance. How can you look down your nose at someone due to their state of residence or lack thereof? In a time when it takes but the loss of a job, a parent throwing a child out, a domestic abuse, addictions on many levels or mental illness to put one there? Try helping, talking or reaching out instead! Most people are blessed with a support system, someone who cares, but there is an ever increasing number of beings out there who are not this blessed. Including the elderly who have no family and can be suffering from many diseases that afflict the aged population, they have nothing and no one to for them. The vets who are ill and feel unwanted and are tormented by their own inner demons. Look at the state of America, record numbers of businesses closing, foreclosures, the state of California cannot even get credit from the Feds nor WallStreet! Open your eyes. I grew up in one of the richest communities on the west coats, yet I too found myself in this condition myself. You would be surprised at who the beings are behind what you obviously perceive as tainted goods. Good god educate thyself! Grow some compassion, grow a heart, jeeze if the grinch was able to I am sure you could as well. Move to a remote city in a narrow minded state, I think they would either take care of their own or be as intolerant as you appear to be to this growing social issue! Bless you and the best of luck to you in your pursuit of a world that has no imperfect situations. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 01:37 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
Most americans do not realize they are a disaster away from being homeless, though this recession has humbled a lot of people.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:48 AM

701 posts, read 2,030,637 times
No reason to preach to the guy in the OP... If he wants to avoid homeless people, do your best to recommend good areas for him, regardless of your own personal view/ideal on the subject. It doesn't have to be difficult.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:50 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Although I've lived in Victorville forever, I've recently been going to downtown LA to get away from the "suburb in the sticks".
Riding my bicycle through many of the neighborhoods down there, Skid Row isn't as bad as many people would think at 2 or 3AM.

Most of the homeless are either sleeping, or pacing up and down the streets keeping to themselves.
The few that beg will either take anything you give them, or go away if you don't got nothing to give.

If anything, I tend to get more grief and hostility from people that "have money".

Now as far as the Bay Area goes, I've never been up there that much to notice they even have any problems.
But I guess overpriced neighborhoods doesn't exactly mean a perfect paradise.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:02 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
Not minding homeless is okay for you when you are a renter, but when you have a property you invest in, you will care a lot more.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:28 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,966 times
I know not all homeless are like this, but I know someone who went to SF because he was lazy and wanted to do drugs through begging.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:39 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Not minding homeless is okay for you when you are a renter, but when you have a property you invest in, you will care a lot more.
For sure, I don't mind the homeless in the city or the parks really, life is rough sometimes. I actually have fun with them sometimes and try not to be the guy who ignores them like they aren't even a person anymore.

However, if they are on my lawn or next to my car..then they are in my space and will be cleared.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:53 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,237,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
For sure, I don't mind the homeless in the city or the parks really, life is rough sometimes. I actually have fun with them sometimes and try not to be the guy who ignores them like they aren't even a person anymore.

However, if they are on my lawn or next to my car..then they are in my space and will be cleared.
Yeah, this is pretty much how i feel about it. Homeless people are people too, and will get treated as such...which means if they aren't being offensive to me in some way, i'll be nice...if they are, i'm not gonna be very nice, just like with anyone else.

Last edited by rah; 10-06-2009 at 12:36 PM..

Old 10-06-2009, 12:20 PM

302 posts, read 864,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
What about when the urinate and defacate in the streets, abuse drugs in public, harass passersby, and obstruct commerce?
I know we're focusing on SF, but Sacramento also has a major problem with this. It's not that I hate homeless people-I have been a case worker in a mental health facility (with 2 homeless clients) and have eaten out of food closets myself-but it just seems like there are a lot of homeless people not utilizing the resources available to them.

When I visited the Dept of Human Assistance, I was made aware of a program where someone homeless can get an emergency stipend of $200 and two weeks rent in a motel to help get on their feet. My stepsister does absolutely nothing but reproduce-she really doesn't want to work-and is given a $900 welfare check every month. It's not great, but it's a little something to stay off the streets, you can at least get a ghetto apt and some food with it. There's also all of the low income utility programs for food, energy, etc available. We make $2500/mo and almost qualify for it, so they certainly could.

I have had homeless people urinate in public and be belligerant to us-anyone familiar with the "hyperreligiousity" guy near the Downtown Plaza mall always yelling at everybody? So far he's harrassed my Dad and husband, both just trying to walk by and mind their own business.

I've been hit up numerous times for money, and one time I offered the panhandler lunch from Taco Bell, which they took and I was glad to offer. But please, homeless, don't use the Taco Bell bathrooms to shower and clean up in, that's not what they're there for and it truly depreciates the neighborhood (not to mention leaves it unavailable for use for the patrons).

I guess one of the things that makes me the most mad is that a lot of the people panhandling for money to clean your windows, or get gas to continue on their trip, or feed their kids, or whatever story they hand out, really detracts from the legitimate ones who might be starving. Use whats available to you, people. And those empathetic who truly want to help-make a donation to Loaves and Fishes or the Salvation Army. That way you can be assured that your money will help someone, not further their drug habit.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:00 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley44mag View Post
You seem very selfish and cruel. What does it hurt you to give a few bucks a day to the down and out? I hope the Lord enlightens you some day. Love Ripley
It is not selfish and not cruel to force the homeless to either get a permanent sustainable living scenario or to force them into institutionalization. Continuing a living on the streets scenario for a mentally ill or drug addicted person is not being charitable. It is torturing the person and it is hurting the non-homeless people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley44mag View Post
If you hate the homeless so much? Why don't you take one home to live with you. Presto/chango not homeless anymore. Besides Missy you are probaly only 4 missed paychecks from the gutter yourself. Ripley
The visible homeless in SF are not like most Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Most americans do not realize they are a disaster away from being homeless, though this recession has humbled a lot of people.
The visible homeless in SF are not like most Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland