Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 09:18 AM

18,978 posts, read 32,586,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Trololol

Or maybe I actually wanted to get some input to see if I have been "unlucky" thus far dealing with the wrong people possibly? But I should've known a civil discussion wouldn't be the case, maybe I said some things that could be offensive, but in reality everything is offensive to "liberal elites" if you aren't just that.
Of course not when you end a diatribe with "... the only golden things here are the homeless pee puddles on the sidewalks." But go ahead and keep playing the victim instead of actually owning up to the rhetoric you used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 09:23 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,974,301 times
Quote:
So over a year ago, I posted on this forum (SF/California) because I need advice for places to live and guidance for my wife and I due to relocation for my job. This was in February 2016. We have been here since March 2016, and I gotta say, this place isn't for us. First off, thanks for all who did help and give advice

We came from Kentucky, obviously a big difference in multiple ways, so I expected a lot of change/different living but I was in for a rude awakening. After the year here so far, we plan to be here about 6-8 more months and then I will be transferring again (thankfully). We settled in Pleasant Hill, for the most part, not a bad place. My truck has been broken into twice, but that seems to be a normal thing in California so it is what it is.

Major question, why do people love California so much? The weather maybe? I admit, the weather is splendid compared to the hot, muggy, humid summers I'm used to. And I love the scenery and love how I can be to the ocean or mountains in no time at all. But there are sooooo many negatives here (for me at least). For starters, as mentioned above, crime is everywhere, all the time. It's suuuuuper expensive even for a crappy apartment. Traffic is awful all the time. California government (if that's what you call it) is terrible. Homeless & poverty is out of control. Certain occupations seem to make way more than they should, but yet are awful at what they do. There are so many more things that I hate here but why keep going at this point. In my profession, I meet and deal with a ton of people not from California/The Bay Area, and they all say the same things that I do, so from what I gather, only people born/raised here seem to love it.

Anywho, I figured I would throw my opinion in the mix for this dreadful place I call home right now. Again, weather & scenery, is amazing. All else, is pretty much crap. This is not meant to offend anyone (though it will and that is another negative about this place), I was just curious why people think The Bay Area is a "golden place" when in reality the only golden things here are the homeless pee puddles on the sidewalks.
The Bay Area is a hell hole of taxation, regulation and statism. If you have a net worth of over $25+ Million and are heavily involved in tech, I could forgive someone for overlooking the negatives. Anyone else who chooses to live there is literally getting tax raped.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:33 AM

911 posts, read 589,938 times
Quote:
Trololol

Or maybe I actually wanted to get some input to see if I have been "unlucky" thus far dealing with the wrong people possibly? But I should've known a civil discussion wouldn't be the case, maybe I said some things that could be offensive, but in reality everything is offensive to "liberal elites" if you aren't just that.
And when you got feedback that demonstrates how you have been both "unlucky" and unrealistic about measuring populations through size and criteria sampling error, you have digested and now see ... what? No, Greg, you didnt want to see as you claim at all. You just came to kvetch and ridicule. Perhaps to soothe yourself that you came to a place you dont fit.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:01 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,319,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Of course not when you end a diatribe with "... the only golden things here are the homeless pee puddles on the sidewalks." But go ahead and keep playing the victim instead of actually owning up to the rhetoric you used.
Nobody is playing a victim... I have said multiple times none of this is offensive to me... I now have multiple people "wound up" because I pointed out obvious problems with this area. I came here willingly, I also don't regret it, as said before, I am able to see things I wouldn't have been able to elsewhere.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:04 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,319,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
And when you got feedback that demonstrates how you have been both "unlucky" and unrealistic about measuring populations through size and criteria sampling error, you have digested and now see ... what? No, Greg, you didnt want to see as you claim at all. You just came to kvetch and ridicule. Perhaps to soothe yourself that you came to a place you dont fit.
I came here to point out obvious problems that anyone should be able to see, and wanted to see why people tolerate such crappy problems.

Now that I have successfully done so, and managed to **** people off in the process is just gravy on my taters. It's also good to see that there are actually others who notice this is place is not so golden.

Success, success, and more success

Old 04-19-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Nobody is playing a victim... I have said multiple times none of this is offensive to me... I now have multiple people "wound up" because I pointed out obvious problems with this area. I came here willingly, I also don't regret it, as said before, I am able to see things I wouldn't have been able to elsewhere.
Again, what was your "tactic" in pointing out "obvious problems" to people who have been in the Bay Area longer than you, many for a lifetime?

Old 04-19-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I came here to point out obvious problems that anyone should be able to see, and wanted to see why people tolerate such crappy problems.

Now that I have successfully done so, and managed to **** people off in the process is just gravy on my taters. It's also good to see that there are actually others who notice this is place is not so golden.

Success, success, and more success
All right then. Finally an admission that you came to flame. And are pleased to have done so. Sums you up. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2017, 10:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,572,911 times
Quote:
May I ask where you ended up relocating?
sure, after leaving L>A> we went to the DC area to be part of the Reagan admisnistration. Then to Texas where our oldest daughter lived; we stayed 13 years, then retired in NM. Nice state, but it is very depressed and wasn't for us: long story, we are in NW Arkansaw. since then 2 grandkids, thier families and our daughter have moved herr.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:12 AM

18,978 posts, read 32,586,867 times
Quote:
No you are. Some of the things you have said are rude and condescending and then you try to blame them for how they are responding. I'm truly amazed how willfully oblivious you are to your own actions. On top of that you seem to be getting off on aggravating people.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:17 AM

3,058 posts, read 1,672,306 times
Quote:

Anywho, I figured I would throw my opinion in the mix for this dreadful place I call home right now. Again, weather & scenery, is amazing. All else, is pretty much crap. This is not meant to offend anyone (though it will and that is another negative about this place), I was just curious why people think The Bay Area is a "golden place" when in reality the only golden things here are the homeless pee puddles on the sidewalks.

Well, in spite of all that it has to offer, it certainly isn't for everybody. I was born and raised there, and I do miss it..... but many things about it isn't for me, either. There was a time when I envied those that managed to live in SF but, now, I'm grateful I never attempted it. I've known a few people whose paychecks pretty much went towards rent with nothing much left to enjoy. It does have a horrible homeless problem but I think Portland's even worse for that.

California's government and the cost of living are what's held me back from returning. I'm slated to inherit property at some time but, frankly, I'm not sure I want to deal with it. Love visiting, though.

But, I have a friend that moved down to Sacramento because she spent decades trying to adapt to the Portland climate, and couldn't. She's very, very happy there. Sacramento is a little too "north" for me.

It's tough when you devout the time and decision-making into trying a new life elsewhere and it doesn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland