Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 09:20 PM

12 posts, read 18,386 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the bay area, but went to UCSB for college. Loved it there.

I have a job I like in Concord, but keep wondering if I am missing out by not trying to get work and move to SB.

I also wonder do I have those great memories because duh it was college and in IV I could walk to the beach whenever I wanted and it was less stressful that working.

Anyways do you think WC or SB is better? Any other east bay cities I should consider? I know Alameda kinda reminds me of Coronado or even IV a little, but at the same time I don't want a really long commute to work.

SB weather and the beach are a strong pull, but WC / East Bay and BART has access to so much more entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 09:27 PM

21 posts, read 20,138 times
I think Im confused or maybe Im not aware that Alameda is such a nice place. Are you comparing Alameda to Coronado across the bridge from Downtown San Diego, one of the nicer, upscale cities in SoCal?

Old 02-15-2017, 09:31 PM

I don't know Alameda well, but the short time I was there at the beach and walking around the shops it had that beach town feel to it. But your right it is not nearly as high end.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:03 AM

72 posts, read 81,660 times
Santa Barbara is better to look at. Few problems with SB, as you probably know, is small job market (in tech), relatively isolated, 2.5-3hours drive to LAX, lots of homeless folks in downtown.

Hard to give an advice here but maybe instead of moving you should visit it more often.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:08 AM

386 posts, read 797,362 times
My perception of SB is predominately retirees and students who don't work with jobs in the service industry for those that do. Housing is also not affordable and working commuters clog the freeway as they drive up from the Ventura area which makes traffic pretty ugly during rush hours.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:47 AM

153 posts, read 200,750 times
Echoing what others have said here. WC is way better than SB. Way more affordable housing, less traffic, and higher QoL.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:09 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Odd comparison. Most people I know who went to UCSB moved away after, one stayed and seemed to find a good job and has a good social network. It doesn't really strike me as a place that's good to stay after college.

With that said WC isn't that great for somebody right out of college either unless you grew up in the area and have a lot of friends still in that immediate area. Oakland would be a much more interesting city to live in right out of college imo.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:41 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brb going fishing View Post
Echoing what others have said here. WC is way better than SB. Way more affordable housing, less traffic, and higher QoL.
I'm going to take a guess that you haven't been to Walnut Creek in a very long time. Yes, it's a nice place...but, housing is actually very expensive and traffic is terrible like the rest of the Bay Area. Quality of life is subjective since both cities are nice.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:27 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwillis88 View Post
I grew up in the bay area, but went to UCSB for college. Loved it there.

I have a job I like in Concord, but keep wondering if I am missing out by not trying to get work and move to SB.

I also wonder do I have those great memories because duh it was college and in IV I could walk to the beach whenever I wanted and it was less stressful that working.

Anyways do you think WC or SB is better? Any other east bay cities I should consider? I know Alameda kinda reminds me of Coronado or even IV a little, but at the same time I don't want a really long commute to work.

SB weather and the beach are a strong pull, but WC / East Bay and BART has access to so much more entertainment.
SB is like willingly putting your career on a dead end, unless you are a prof.

If you really want the beach life, go for The Sunset, San Mateo Coastside or slog it out from Santa Cruz. Or ... relo to LA or SD. Where they have a real economy and careers are not dead ends.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. i think you are right I should just visit SB more often to remember the glory days, but living there full time wouldn't return the same feelings as when I was a college student. East Bay makes more sense for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland