Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 11:37 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,240,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShopper View Post
I hear you that there are bargain areas in Vallejo though I suppose both of us want to be able to have some "Wow" factor if we're moving to California when telling our friends and family where we'll live! (lol superficial, I know) and Vallejo doesn't have that.
You're not going to fool anyone who knows anything about CA and the Napa/Sonoma region by having an American Canyon address. It's alright, but it's not really any different than Vallejo, Vacaville, Fairfield, etc. It's cheap for a reason- not because it's some hidden gem that only locals know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 12:18 AM

3,229 posts, read 6,267,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
When someone hears American Canyon or Fairfield, they think no-name no-culture suburb where the main social event of the week is going to Costco.
That's a million times better than thinking of all the murders and crime in Oakland or the legions of homeless people pooping on the streets of filth Frisco!

Old 04-30-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
You're not going to fool anyone who knows anything about CA and the Napa/Sonoma region by having an American Canyon address. It's alright, but it's not really any different than Vallejo, Vacaville, Fairfield, etc. It's cheap for a reason- not because it's some hidden gem that only locals know about.
The reason is the horrible commute to job centers in SF or Silicon Valley. If you take one of the nice west Fairfield homes and put it in west San Jose the value will more than double.

Quote:
Commuting is definitely not a big issue as he rides and is looking forward to riding 8-10 months vs the 3-4 good months we have here and the commute beats any we've ever seen.
It's getting to a neighbourhood where we could find a large house for under a $1M that's safe for my kids and has good schools.
There are no elementary schools over a 7 in American Canyon. The good part of Fairfield has several schools with 8 ratings. The commute may be more challenging from Fairfield. Also Fairfield is hotter than American Canyon. There are some fantastic homes in the Green Valley and Suisun Valley areas near Fairfield

Schools filtered for 8 API rank or better:

California School Ratings, school profiles, test scores - Solano County

Almost none above an 8 in Napa county. Napa Unified is especially bad with 6 schools rated 1 or 2.

California School Ratings, school profiles, test scores - Napa County

Several 8+ in Santa Rosa:

California School Ratings, school profiles, test scores - Sonoma County

Here is an example home in Green Valley with above average schools and a "10" ranked elementary school.

https://www.trulia.com/property/3261...field-CA-94534

Nelda Mundy Elementary in Fairfield , CA - ranking, school information, ratings, test scores, test results

Green Valley has many exquisite homes >1M like this one:

https://www.trulia.com/property/3262...field-CA-94534

compare to an example home in suburban West San Jose

https://www.trulia.com/property/3127...-Jose-CA-95129

Old 05-01-2017, 10:51 AM

522 posts, read 731,169 times
Also, when commute to San Francisco is taken into consideration, the nice parts of Vallejo are probably a better choice. If you live in AC, you're going to have to drive through Vallejo to get to San Francisco anyway.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
the nice parts of Vallejo are probably a better choice.
Vallejo is automatically eliminated for anyone with kids considering public schools.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:26 PM

18,965 posts, read 32,487,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
There are no elementary schools over a 7 in American Canyon.
Canyon Oaks is rated an 8.

American Canyon Schools, 1-15 - American Canyon, CA | GreatSchools

Old 05-01-2017, 05:54 PM

42,757 posts, read 26,002,909 times
Quote:
I hear you that there are bargain areas in Vallejo though I suppose both of us want to be able to have some "Wow" factor if we're moving to California when telling our friends and family where we'll live! (lol superficial, I know) and Vallejo doesn't have that. Napa, Sonoma and Petaluma on the other hand ... wow! maybe even Santa Rosa! To put it in perspective we've worked really hard for the past 15 years and have made a lot of sacrifices while our peers and friends have been living the good life and we'd now like to reap the rewards of that hard work.

So to that end, I suppose I was wondering what people think when you say American Canyon or Fairfield?
There's no 'wow factor' to living in American Canyon or Fairfield. But, if you are looking at Fairfield consider the west side of the Freeway (Green Valley) the rest of the area pretty much sucks.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider21 View Post
you want East Santa Rosa, not West Santa Rosa. Drive east down Hwy 12 and it's 25-30 minute ride to Sonoma (the town i'm assuming you are talking about?) and probably the most beautiful commute in the world.
I agree and it's a far better place to live than American Canyon or Fairfield

Old 05-01-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Its a 7 from the school rating site. Its still a good choice compared to many other areas.

Canyon Oaks Elementary in American Canyon , CA - ranking, school information, ratings, test scores, test results

Old 05-01-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Its a 7 from the school rating site. Its still a good choice compared to many other areas.

Canyon Oaks Elementary in American Canyon , CA - ranking, school information, ratings, test scores, test results
yeah but it's still American Canyon and unless you are looking for a quiet suburb with nothing to do why would you move there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland