Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 10:03 PM

882 posts, read 688,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
Sorry about the stain on your shirt. But really, read the above response and quote the same examples of insecure or snarky comments. Be specific.

As to your "wink wink" ... it has been amusing to read a couple of posters conflate StanleysOwl to tulemutt recently. It seems that there is an assumption that any strickly rational, intelligent, fact-based contributions must be one source the same. Two things come to mind. 1. There are a number of very similarly logical, fact-based contributors here including 2sleepy, BayareaHillbilly, sav858, CA4now, Chuck5000, and more. Are we all really tulemutt posting under various modified styles?

But the real question is: what difference would it make to the factual contents of the posts even if we were all the same and just telling with differing anecdotes?

The facts is the facts. The rest is all sophmoric bs. There are similarities. There are glaring differences. But there is only one truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 12:07 AM

314 posts, read 487,193 times
I no longer live in the East Bay, but I was born in Berkeley, HS in CoCo county (Orinda), and lived 21 yrs in Oakland with one more a few yrs after that. My family still lives in the East Bay and my ties run deep to my hometown. I don't post as much as I once did, but I find it as a way to share my experiences in the past and stay connected to the now. I feel like as long as we transplants ask ourselves why we left (adventure in my case) and don't present our view as gospel there is opportunity for enriching conversations.

There are days where I tell my wife I don't wish to move back, but I think thats more because I grew up here so I want to forge my own path away from family. But yet there are many others in which I imagine living here again in somewhere like Hayward (or elsewhere) in 10 years or so were anything tragic ever to happen to my wife or family. Thats not the point, its that home is where you feel you belong and what you can contribute to it right now. The forum provides the basis and the rest is up to you. In the Bay, you'll have many choices. Sorry for the rambling post. Goodnight and as we yell at the coliseum, "LETS GO OAKLAND!"

Last edited by Glenview94602; 05-14-2017 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: c

Old 05-15-2017, 09:14 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,253 times
I only left because I got divorced and needed a good support system. Moved back to NY to be near family (originally born and raised in NYC). I wish I never left. I plan on retiring in the Bay Area eventually. So I Like to read about the Bay Area, miss it big time. Also, if people ask questions about things or places I might know about in the Bay Area, I like to give my thoughts on the subject based on my experiences.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:45 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuyKeagz View Post
Maybe your comment is ridiculous. Try again.
All I'm saying is your description of what people are posting is not hype and bash, but really pros and cons. I see a person like yourself can't discuss things rationally and instead has to be insulting with a snide comment.
Oh I get it. If you hear something you don't like or agree with , you can't respond intelligently so you think making a comment like yours works instead. Sorry, it just shows you get butt hurt easily. I've seen responses like yours before, did you cut and paste it from another thread because you couldn't think of anything better?

Old 05-16-2017, 07:09 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
Bay Natives are soft and need a safe space, even on the interwebz.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:03 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
As pointed out in the post in question, and in several other posts by other contributors, where a person lives is immaterial to the issue of "why do some people feel the need to rag on about a place (any place) they have left behind?"

Personal information on an anonymous forum is unverifiable. Therefore declarations, such as where one lives or doesnt, are meaningless. As is whether you have any idea whatsoever about the truth of your suspicion of where a contributor lives.

Nitpicking? That is actually hilarious. What here ISN'T nickpicking? Including your own comments. In fact, your comments are clearly focused on your personal dislike for an individual, as opposed to topical discourse.

"Insecurity?" As requested previously, quote any comment defending the Bay Area.
"Snarky?" Quote what you consider snarky and let's consider that.

Be specific if you have a point to make.
Other people chose to include pros and cons re living in the Bay Area. What was your focus? How did you put it?....'the psychology of whining", IIRC.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:10 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
The facts is the facts. The rest is all sophmoric bs.
No, the facts ARE the facts.

fact -- singular

facts -- plural

A fact is a fact.

The facts are the facts.

And it's sophomoric, not sophmoric.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:29 PM

911 posts, read 590,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Other people chose to include pros and cons re living in the Bay Area. What was your focus? How did you put it?....'the psychology of whining", IIRC.
Yes. And your point is? You certainly havent addressed the question put to you. At all. How does addressing the "psychology of whining" demonstrate the location a poster lives in, or a poster's insecurity, as you claimed, about wherever s/he might live?

Old 05-17-2017, 05:34 PM

911 posts, read 590,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
No, the facts ARE the facts.

fact -- singular

facts -- plural

A fact is a fact.

The facts are the facts.

And it's sophomoric, not sophmoric.
Yes. Very good. You corrected an intentional, joking use of slang (obviously you didn't get the joke). And you found a typo. How erudite and 'sophosisticated' of you.

Now then, back to the actual issues and questions you never answered?

Old 05-17-2017, 06:43 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
Quote:
Yes. Very good. You corrected an intentional, joking use of slang (obviously you didn't get the joke). And you found a typo. How erudite and 'sophosisticated' of you.

Now then, back to the actual issues and questions you never answered?
Sophosisticated, I see what you did there. This is entertaining, and for once, we aren't argueing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland