Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 08:46 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times

Advertisements

How doable?

Would be working in Downtown Oakland and have a max I'd pay for rent is 1500 per month but could maybe go higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 11:12 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
I'm going to assume that by "SF" you mean not the city, itself, but the region. Because $1500 isn't doable in the city.

Look on Craigslist for studios in Albany, El Cerrito, and Oakland. There are a couple of posters here who can fine-tune the Oakland recommendation for you, as far as neighborhoods go.

You'll see a lot of ads for rooms (in a shared place) at your price on C-list, but there are also small studio rentals in people's garden cottages or basement apartments at that price.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/6162060045.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/6152942242.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/6159041123.html <--- Good location, Oakland

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-08-2017 at 11:25 PM..

Old 06-09-2017, 12:01 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,136 times
You will need roommates for sure to make it work in both SF and Oakland. I recommend living close to work whenever possible, but you could do SOMA for an easy (reverse) commute to DT Oakland.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:59 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
You will need roommates for sure to make it work in both SF and Oakland. I recommend living close to work whenever possible, but you could do SOMA for an easy (reverse) commute to DT Oakland.
I'm not sure the OP has the budget for SOMA. Those places go for $5,000+. He could get rent a room in Oakland for $1,200 or so. I imagine there will be loads of competition for low end studios in Oakland, yes.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:07 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
If you get a shared apartment, you'll be fine

Old 06-09-2017, 11:23 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
When I said SF, I meant the entire area but I'd prefer the city.

I can get a comfortable 1 bedroom or nice sized studio in LA for that price but looks like roommates only if I want to stay in a decent part of Oakland or SF.

Only thing holding me back from accepting the transfer. I have a couple weeks to decide and in the meantime will look into the areas mentioned. How is San Jose? Bart was just extended there right? The hq of my job is located two blocks from a BART station im DT Oakland so the commute wouldn't be too terribld if its all train. I just worry about outside of work if I'm that far down deep in suburbia.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:30 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,136 times
Do not live in San Jose if your job is in DT Oakland. Honestly, if you don't want roommates I'd reconsider taking the job. People are not kidding when they say the Bay Area is expensive.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:38 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I'm not sure the OP has the budget for SOMA. Those places go for $5,000+. He could get rent a room in Oakland for $1,200 or so. I imagine there will be loads of competition for low end studios in Oakland, yes.
This is true. Just because there are listings in your price range, OP, doesn't mean you'll be able to nail one. You have to watch the listings like a hawk, meaning a few times daily, and call on them as soon as they're posted, to try to be the first person to call. Have credit rating, copy of job offer, and rental references in hand to email or fax.

A better approach might be to rent a room in a shared place, and after learning the lay of the land, so to speak, conduct your studio search from there. Or you might get lucky, and get in with a group household scene that works for you, and may decide to stick with it awhile.

What are the prospects for future raises and promotions with this job offer? That could have a bearing on your decision, too.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
At your budget - roommates are the only option. If that isn't acceptable to you, skip the Bay Area until your income is 2x!

Old 06-09-2017, 03:32 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,360 times
People are too negative. Here https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/...labilityMode=0

11 units, all within your price range in the sunset. They are not ideal, but they are in the city.

And here are 63 units, also within your price range with only Concord/Martinez, Emeryville, Lake Merritt, Temescal, Piedmont and Montclair selected. There are options. If you live in a place like Walnut Creek, it will absolutely be doable

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/...labilityMode=0

If you are willing to get a roommate, then it is 100% doable. Mt brother in law’s salary is $50k and he has lived in a nice house with 4 roomates for the past 3 years. His room is completely separate and not noise. He loves his roommates. You can get a pretty good room for <$1,200 in multiple area in the cities. Are they going to be North Beach, Mission, SOMA? No. But you can make it work in the Richmond/Sunset, Glen Park etc.

A separate issue is that if you are going to work in downtown Oakland, living in the areas that are not close to Bart, such as Richmond/Sunset makes little sense as your commute will take a long time. I would look more into East bay along the BART line – Walnut Creek, Concord, Dublin etc. they are suburbs, but they are safe and fine.

In SF/Penninsula, I would look at Glen Park, Daly City, San Bruno, Colma, Milbrae
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland