Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 11:25 AM

772 posts, read 1,141,522 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'll be in San Fran on Thur. and Fri. of next week.

I'll arrive around noonish on Thursday. I plan to rent a bike and ride around for several hours. Then I'll go to the hotel, shower and change, and head back out for a few hours at night.

I know for sure I would like to hit the Golden Gate Bridge first. After that, I would probably like to ride my bike around the city, concentrating on the nature spots (e.g., parks, gardens, hills, perhaps beaches)

On Fri., I'll be tied up with business in the morning on Market St. near 9th. When that is over, 1:30ish, I'd like to explore that area of the peninsula (e.g, Financial District, AT&T Park, Mission). I'll be on foot at this time, though a taxi is a possibility. Then, after changing and showering, I'd like to go back out at night. Don't plan on partying or anything. Just want to walk around and people watch.

Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions on maps?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 01:51 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,718,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
I'd like to explore that area of the peninsula (e.g, Financial District, AT&T Park, Mission). I'll be on foot at this time, though a taxi is a possibility. Then, after changing and showering, I'd like to go back out at night. Don't plan on partying or anything. Just want to walk around and people watch.

Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions on maps?

Thanks.
No need to be on foot. You can buy a day pass on Muni Metro and visit all of these places. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muni_Metro

Try the N-Judah line if you want to go all the way to the beach. Other light rail stop at AT&T Park at 2nd and King. Muni Metro runs in subway in the downtown area and on surface streets elsewhere. The financial district is at the Montgomery Street light rail and BART station.

You can also get to the Mission on BART, but no day pass. Station List | bart.gov

Old 06-11-2017, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,510 times
A fun route is to rent bikes at the Ferry Building (and if you're there on Saturday morning, get a tamale at Primavera at the farmer's market there) then bike all the way along the bay, going north through Fisherman's Wharf and Crissy field and the Presidio, crossing Golden Gate Bridge, biking down to Sausalito, hanging there for a while (touristy place but there are some good restaurants) then taking a ferry back (you can put your bike on the ferry).

Other than that, the Mission is my favorite area of the city. BART to 16th st, walk over to Valencia and check out the shops on the walk down to 24th st. Stop at Bi-Rite creamery and get ice cream and enjoy it in Dolores Park. Get Pizza at Defina, right around there. Get sausage and beer at Rosamunde's. There are so many cool spots in that area I can barely keep up...

Enjoy your visit!

Old 06-12-2017, 09:45 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
From the Financial District you can walk to Chinatown as well as the Cable Car Museum which one can see SF cable car really work.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clavain View Post
A fun route is to rent bikes at the Ferry Building (and if you're there on Saturday morning, get a tamale at Primavera at the farmer's market there) then bike all the way along the bay, going north through Fisherman's Wharf and Crissy field and the Presidio, crossing Golden Gate Bridge, biking down to Sausalito, hanging there for a while (touristy place but there are some good restaurants) then taking a ferry back (you can put your bike on the ferry).

Other than that, the Mission is my favorite area of the city. BART to 16th st, walk over to Valencia and check out the shops on the walk down to 24th st. Stop at Bi-Rite creamery and get ice cream and enjoy it in Dolores Park. Get Pizza at Defina, right around there. Get sausage and beer at Rosamunde's. There are so many cool spots in that area I can barely keep up...

Enjoy your visit!
Hello. These are good ideas. I am going to be tied up with other activities until about 6:00 p.m. on Thur. At that time, I'll be on Lombard Street in the Marina District, closer to the Presidio. I want to rent a bike and bike until sundown. Can you recommend a bike rental store that's closer to where I'll be at? The alternative would be cabbing to Fisherman's Wharf, but I don't want to lose time stuck in traffic. I would imagine that I won't have a lot of time to explore on my bike. Can you catch a ferry back at sundown (assuming the bike rental agency is still open).

Thanks.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
No need to be on foot. You can buy a day pass on Muni Metro and visit all of these places. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muni_Metro

Try the N-Judah line if you want to go all the way to the beach. Other light rail stop at AT&T Park at 2nd and King. Muni Metro runs in subway in the downtown area and on surface streets elsewhere. The financial district is at the Montgomery Street light rail and BART station.

You can also get to the Mission on BART, but no day pass. Station List | bart.gov
Where do you get the Muni day pass at and how much does it run?

Old 06-13-2017, 01:14 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,718,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
Where do you get the Muni day pass at and how much does it run?
Muni Passport - San Francisco city transportation passport

Go to the Muni/BART station at Powell and Market next to the cable car end of the line. Down below is a visitor center that sell passes and gives away maps and other tourist pamphlets. Without the pass, it's $2.50 to ride the light rail and $5 to ride the cable car one way. I've been told some Walgreen stores sell them and you can get them at the airport but not sure about this.

Next time stay longer than an afternoon.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:17 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,252,882 times
Find out who Joshua Norton was and pay your respects at his grave.

I wish I had known about him when I visited San Francisco.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Muni Passport - San Francisco city transportation passport

Go to the Muni/BART station at Powell and Market next to the cable car end of the line. Down below is a visitor center that sell passes and gives away maps and other tourist pamphlets. Without the pass, it's $2.50 to ride the light rail and $5 to ride the cable car one way. I've been told some Walgreen stores sell them and you can get them at the airport but not sure about this.

Next time stay longer than an afternoon.
Okay. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:48 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,252,882 times
This happened to show up on YouTube today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE40NPNhWlk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland