Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 08:38 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,307,990 times

Advertisements

Hundreds of senior citizens stood in line, many of them overnight, for a shot at a waiting list for subsidized housing. The average rent in Oakland now is $2,400 a month and to meet its own goals, the city should have 870 new units of affordable housing every year. Last year, they permitted 40. Even the elements couldn't dampen the spirits of the seniors lined up around the block outside the Hotel Oakland, a former inn that now bills itself as a senior citizen's village.

Hundreds of Oakland senior citizens wait in line, some overnight, for subsidized housing | abc7news.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 08:49 AM

70 posts, read 65,236 times
Whats the area like? Oakland I mean is it a nice and quiet neighborhood? And how close is it to the city?

Old 06-11-2017, 10:15 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,726,714 times
They should have bought back in the 50s when houses were 10k. I don't have as much sympathy for them as I do for millennials who will never have such opportunities.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLikeable View Post
Whats the area like? Oakland I mean is it a nice and quiet neighborhood? And how close is it to the city?
I have no idea, you'd probably have to research that online

Old 06-11-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I don't have as much sympathy for them as I do for millennials who will never have such opportunities.
I fully expected that from you.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:28 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,150,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Hundreds of senior citizens stood in line, many of them overnight, for a shot at a waiting list for subsidized housing. The average rent in Oakland now is $2,400 a month and to meet its own goals, the city should have 870 new units of affordable housing every year. Last year, they permitted 40. Even the elements couldn't dampen the spirits of the seniors lined up around the block outside the Hotel Oakland, a former inn that now bills itself as a senior citizen's village.

Hundreds of Oakland senior citizens wait in line, some overnight, for subsidized housing | abc7news.com
A long line for free stuff. Imagine that.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:34 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,636,582 times
Quote:
They should have bought back in the 50s when houses were 10k. I don't have as much sympathy for them as I do for millennials who will never have such opportunities.
For many working people with families to support in the 50's, 10K might as well have been 100K. They also had to come up with a hefty down payment back then.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:43 AM

911 posts, read 591,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
A long line for free stuff. Imagine that.
Imagine having been born into a life with little to nothing to compare with those of means. Means meaning such varied resources as: family money, favorable genetics, natural talents and intellect, personal connections, and the good fortune to have any of those things contemporaneously coincide with opportunities to leverage them. Curious how so many with those kinds of advantages often lack the insight to recognize their own good luck - and instead attribute their "success" to somehow having created themselves into their well-being. Fun to look down on others, is it?

Old 06-11-2017, 12:30 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,726,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
For many working people with families to support in the 50's, 10K might as well have been 100K. They also had to come up with a hefty down payment back then.
If I could go back with my inflation adjusted money I could buy several. It's not that hard to save up a few grand even back then for a downpayment

Old 06-11-2017, 12:56 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
Imagine having been born into a life with little to nothing to compare with those of means. Means meaning such varied resources as: family money, favorable genetics, natural talents and intellect, personal connections, and the good fortune to have any of those things contemporaneously coincide with opportunities to leverage them. Curious how so many with those kinds of advantages often lack the insight to recognize their own good luck - and instead attribute their "success" to somehow having created themselves into their well-being. Fun to look down on others, is it?
I'm sure plenty of people simply take things for granted when it's just handed to them. And it it becomes somewhat of or a entitlement. The poor are no different than the rich. A poor person having subsidized rent will pretty much do everything they can to keep that entitlement. I still am dumbfounded at the excess and waste that goes on

Quote:
If I could go back with my inflation adjusted money I could buy several. It's not that hard to save up a few grand even back then for a downpayment

Yeah well it doesn't work that way.

Saving for a down is no different today as it was back then. Still requires saving.

It's not hard to save 4-5% to get a loan but people still can't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland