Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
UC Berkeley researchers came up with this map of gentrification of bay area a couple of years ago and a good portion of down town Hayward was already being gentrified. I am sure it has only accelerated since then. I worked in down town Hayward unil last year and a lot of people are moving in from across the bay after being priced out of peninsula. Whole foods is planning a new store on foothill.

I couldn't find any information online about the new Whole Foods planned in Hayward.. could you please provide a link or do you happen to know the exact area they are planning to build it? Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 10:22 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Yeah, it wasn't exactly nice a decade or so ago, especially around the downtown area and along Mission Blvd. TBH, it still has a really dated, run down look in a lot of places- similar to what you see in parts of East Oakland.

The Hills and by CSUEB have always been a lot nicer than anything closer to 880.

It's a Bay Area thing- the closer you are to the flats/industrial areas, the less desirable it is when compared to areas that are up in the Hills (Berkeley, Oakland, San Leandro, Hayward, Fremont, etc)

Historically that is true but areas near transit are now more desirable. Mind you, I am NOT saying the hills are not still desirable but look where the price appreciation is occurring.

The person that lives in the Hayward hills. I know that area. I lived near there a while back. It is a very nice area!

Old 09-06-2017, 10:34 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm surprised it hasn't really gentrified much already because it's proximity to the Peninsula but I guess maybe it's harder for post-war suburbs to do so.

Once the Silicon Valley BART extension opens up I think that will put more pressure on Hayward and intensify demand. If BART manages to reach downtown San Jose and more tech companies start locating there (Google for example), Hayward has even more potential.
Maybe tech companies should be buying land in Hayward, before prices really take off.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:33 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
[/b]

Historically that is true but areas near transit are now more desirable. Mind you, I am NOT saying the hills are not still desirable but look where the price appreciation is occurring.

The person that lives in the Hayward hills. I know that area. I lived near there a while back. It is a very nice area!
Downtown Hayward has definitely changed quite a bit over the last few years. It's still not quite a vibrant or happening place (yet), but it has decent bones since it's close to Hayward BART and there's a few decent bars/restaurants on B street. The way they reconfigured the streets still seems pretty nonsensical to me, but it clearly hasn't stopped people from coming into the area to live or shop.

If Oakland rents keep climbing, I think it's one of the next logical places to undergo extensive gentrification and possibly become a highly desirable neighborhood. How soon will that actually happen? My guess is a bit later than sooner. We shall see.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:11 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Downtown Hayward has definitely changed quite a bit over the last few years. It's still not quite a vibrant or happening place (yet), but it has decent bones since it's close to Hayward BART and there's a few decent bars/restaurants on B street. The way they reconfigured the streets still seems pretty nonsensical to me, but it clearly hasn't stopped people from coming into the area to live or shop.

If Oakland rents keep climbing, I think it's one of the next logical places to undergo extensive gentrification and possibly become a highly desirable neighborhood. How soon will that actually happen? My guess is a bit later than sooner. We shall see.
I agree. My statement is not really true for Hayward. I don't see the data but it is logical that some being displaced from Oakland would move to Hayward. Maybe you did??? I thought you wrote somewhere recently that you had left Oakland for a nearby municipality.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:58 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Maybe tech companies should be buying land in Hayward, before prices really take off.
600k for a crappy rancher isn't "taking off"?

Old 09-07-2017, 10:12 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
There does seem to be a lot of space in the industrial areas near the bridge. I'm surprised there isn't a lot of tech there now. Lots of other industry there in the business parks.
I think Hayward just has a stigma that keeps businesses from going there.perhaps it's just not prestigious enough.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
There does seem to be a lot of space in the industrial areas near the bridge. I'm surprised there isn't a lot of tech there now. Lots of other industry there in the business parks.
I think Hayward just has a stigma that keeps businesses from going there.perhaps it's just not prestigious enough.
Was San Jose ever prestigious?

Old 09-07-2017, 01:08 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Was San Jose ever prestigious?
I'm just wondering if tech companies like to say they are in silicon valley vs Hayward. All the heavy hitters are in silicon valley for the most part. Saying you're in hayward just doesn't have the pizazz

Old 09-07-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I'm just wondering if tech companies like to say they are in silicon valley vs Hayward. All the heavy hitters are in silicon valley for the most part. Saying you're in hayward just doesn't have the pizazz
"Silicon Valley East Bay", or just "Silicon Valley East".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland