Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 07:11 AM

9 posts, read 11,663 times

Advertisements

Oakland is just as expensive as San Francisco, which makes living there pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 07:58 AM

5,570 posts, read 4,928,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewaffles View Post
Oakland is just as expensive as San Francisco, which makes living there pointless.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:32 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,738,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewaffles View Post
Oakland offers better quality of life for many people. For example my commute to SF is shorter than half of my coworkers who live in SF. It is more consistent and predictable. And I don't have to worry about the smell of urine outside my front door.

Not to mention the myriad of other benefits to living in Oakland including more diversity, more families, more friendly, less snooty and more neighborhood-y. Why would I live in SF to live in a crappier neighborhood. And have to deal with all tech bros everywhere.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:21 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,701,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Oakland offers better quality of life for many people. For example my commute to SF is shorter than half of my coworkers who live in SF. It is more consistent and predictable. And I don't have to worry about the smell of urine outside my front door.

Not to mention the myriad of other benefits to living in Oakland including more diversity, more families, more friendly, less snooty and more neighborhood-y. Why would I live in SF to live in a crappier neighborhood. And have to deal with all tech bros everywhere.
Better commute? The Bay bridge takes an hour to cross on sunday

Old 08-25-2017, 11:53 AM

6,403 posts, read 8,237,965 times
Depending on where you work, you can absolutely have a better commute than in SF proper. I think the weather alone, makes living in Oakland a no-brainer over areas in the City that cost about the same.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:28 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,701,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Depending on where you work, you can absolutely have a better commute than in SF proper. I think the weather alone, makes living in Oakland a no-brainer over areas in the City that cost about the same.
Do you work on the bridge itself ?

Old 08-25-2017, 03:43 PM

57 posts, read 57,276 times
OP is a decade or two late in making that assessment.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,738,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
No it doesn't.

My commute is 30-40 minutes including the time to take the bus over the bridge and walk the 7-10 minutes to my office. Some days are a little slower, but it isn't that frequent. A bad day is 45 minutes.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:27 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
You do realize there are carpool and fastrak lanes right? It doesn't actually take that long on weekdays unless you opt to sit in the giant sea of cars, and even then it's not an hour.

Or there's BART, which gets you from downtown Oakland to the financial district in under 15 minutes.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:19 PM

5,570 posts, read 4,928,687 times
BARF is a cesspool of stinky bums and frustrated commuters throw in some criminal delinquents and rude people. Look forward to increasing fares each year for fare and parking fees and unreliable train service with delays and breakdowns that are constant- place your bets. There is in adequate protection of your property when you park your car in one of their lots. But you get to pay for all of this more and more each year.

Driving is much better but you still have lots of idiots out there who shouldn't have a driver's license but they would drive anyway reckless with or without insurance. Like Mad Max road warriors. Lots of "freeway violence" per CHP or Road Rage as we know it.

This all = overpopulation problem too many people here in one place at one time no matter how you commute in the San Francisco Bay Area and it is going to get worse.

Just like put a whole bunch of people together in an congested area then let them go at it like at these demonstrations = nothing but trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland