Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 10:38 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,884,096 times

Advertisements

The following article is about a housing shortage in CA, but there is an insightful anecdote that helps explain why health care costs so much:

Quote:
Heather Lile, a nurse who makes $180,000 a year, commutes two hours from her home in Manteca to the San Francisco hospital where she works, 80 miles away. "I make really good money and it's frustrating to me that I can't afford to live close to my job," said Ms. Lile.
Seriously? A nurse makes $180K/year?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/u...ng-crisis.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,157,549 times
You know nothing about her skills/experience level but your complaining about her salary as a nurse? And this is the cause of your inability to afford health insurance? It's not unheard of for certain kinds of nurses to make low 6 figures.

Give me a break.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:59 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,994,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
You know nothing about her skills/experience level but your complaining about her salary as a nurse? And this is the cause of your inability to afford health insurance? It's not unheard of for certain kinds of nurses to make low 6 figures.

Give me a break.
Exactly.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:00 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,640,658 times
Quote:

Give me a break.
/thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:16 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,231,224 times
Quote:

Give me a break.
I think she is referring to the cost of health care. Where did you get the idea the OP can't afford health insurance?

But, the article definitely showcases our culture of entitlement and whining, that someone making 180K complains that they have to live in Modesto. They don't HAVE to, they "prefer" to. That income is sufficient to live IN the city itself, if one desired. Lots of people live there on far less!

Old 07-21-2017, 01:06 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,575,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I think she is referring to the cost of health care. Where did you get the idea the OP can't afford health insurance?
Anyone familiar with the OP's posts on the Las Vegas forum would know that the thought that the OP can't afford health insurance is preposterous.

Quote:
But, the article definitely showcases our culture of entitlement and whining, that someone making 180K complains that they have to live in Modesto. They don't HAVE to, they "prefer" to. That income is sufficient to live IN the city itself, if one desired. Lots of people live there on far less!
Exactly.

And look at the picture from Manteca in the link. The house has a three car garage. The percentage of SFRs with a 3 car garage or greater within the city limits of SF is low. Some friends of mine live a fairly large house few blocks outside of St. Francis Wood in SF. They have a two car garage, and a house down the street (not as close to St. Francis Wood) is on the market for about 3 million. Another friend of mine who lives in SF passed away fairly recently. Her house has a garage that can easily fit 7 cars, and will probably come on the market in the low 8 figures....but that is definitely an outlier. The house in the picture in Manteca looks as though it might be 3,000+ square feet. On Realtor.com there are 382 single family residences listed for San Francisco. Only 21 of those have a 2 car garage or greater. When one enters a floor of 2,000 square feet re those 21, the total drops to 6, and a floor of 3,000 square feet drops the total to 3....which is actually 2 because one is listed twice (apparently a number range, might only be listed as a SFR but isn't really a SFR). One isn't going to be able to live in a house the size of the one in the picture in Manteca in SF on 180k a year, but as you point out, the person with that salary can certainly live in SF. One of the young grads in my family is making about 2/3 what the nurse is and rents in the city.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:01 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,782,249 times
People like to complain but I think she certain can live close but but not a nice house like in Manteca.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:32 AM

92 posts, read 87,383 times
Also rent prices are really high in SF but IT industry workers, engineers nevertheless prefer to live in SF.

there is an article about that:
Bay Area Housing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland