Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 03:54 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times

Advertisements

Here is a solution equitable to both sides:

Release all body-cam and dashboard-cam images from all controversial police involved incidents and do so immediately after the incident occurs, with no interference from LE unions, courts, or civil authorities.

Then it will be fair. If some folks are anxious to see black and Hispanic (presumably) youth at
their worst, then we should all be able to see official images of cops at their worst.

Make public the tapes of ALL potentially criminal activity--in all cases. That would be fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 05:50 PM

758 posts, read 550,919 times
It's very interesting. I wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC
Every group commits crime(s) at the exact same rate we are told, therefore; there ought to be no problem releasing the tapes. The only problem is...

Originally Posted by SocSciProf
that nonwhites commit their crimes in highly visible ways easy to videotape while whites commit their crimes with briefcases, writing laws legalizing robbery, polluting the environment to the advantage of their corporations, stealing with the blessing of the courts (so much that their victims commit suicide or die from lack of health care), and conducting insider trading? Is that the problem to which you refer?
A coupla non-sequiturs followed. No one denied my claim. Whites commit their crimes in much less visible ways, in boardrooms, and often with the blessing of the courts. That even the people who tried to reject my claim could not reject it should give us hope.

Citylove wrote:
Quote:
Here is a solution equitable to both sides:

Release all body-cam and dashboard-cam images from all controversial police involved incidents and do so immediately after the incident occurs, with no interference from LE unions, courts, or civil authorities.

Then it will be fair. If some folks are anxious to see black and Hispanic (presumably) youth at
their worst, then we should all be able to see official images of cops at their worst.

Make public the tapes of ALL potentially criminal activity--in all cases. That would be fair.
All those claiming whites commit far less crime should vigorously embrace CityLove's position, if they really believe what they say they believe. I think that deep down they know their claim is full of cr@p, so they do NOT embrace CityLove's proposal. If that's true, it speaks volumes about them--unflatteringly. Back to losing hope in many of those with whom we are sharing the planet. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:43 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post

A coupla non-sequiturs followed. No one denied my claim. Whites commit their crimes in much less visible ways, in boardrooms, and often with the blessing of the courts. That even the people who tried to reject my claim could not reject it should give us hope.

Citylove wrote:
All those claiming whites commit far less crime should vigorously embrace CityLove's position, if they really believe what they say they believe. I think that deep down they know their claim is full of cr@p, so they do NOT embrace CityLove's proposal. If that's true, it speaks volumes about them--unflatteringly. Back to losing hope in many of those with whom we are sharing the planet. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.
A "coupla" Mr. Professor? (Where did you get your degree Professor and is it in "social studies"?) Professor, did you look up Tu Quoque?

Denied what claim? Your ridiculous false equivalency and implied justification of the teens' crimes? There is no justification for their actions nor the actions of BART in covering up their crimes. There is no evidence that the victims of the teens are guilty of any of the unspecified "wrongs"
you claim others might have committed. Therefore, it does not follow that because someone might commit wrongs (at least to you), the teens should be permitted to do what they did.

Citylove's "position", better called a suggestion, has nothing to do with the issue here: BART (and the media in most instances) doing anything possible to cover up crime committed by one group.

Then the icing on the cake:

Quote:
. Back to losing hope in many of those with whom we are sharing the planet. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.
Nice call to emotion.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 07-12-2017 at 09:10 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 11:57 PM

758 posts, read 550,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
A "coupla" Mr. Professor? (Where did you get your degree Professor and is it in "social studies"?) Professor, did you look up Tu Quoque?

Denied what claim? Your ridiculous false equivalency and implied justification of the teens' crimes? There is no justification for their actions nor the actions of BART in covering up their crimes. There is no evidence that the victims of the teens are guilty of any of the unspecified "wrongs"
you claim others might have committed. Therefore, it does not follow that because someone might commit wrongs (at least to you), the teens should be permitted to do what they did.

Citylove's "position", better called a suggestion, has nothing to do with the issue here: BART (and the media in most instances) doing anything possible to cover up crime committed by one group.

Then the icing on the cake:

Nice call to emotion.
I said "coupla" to be folksy. Call me out if you want to do so, I won't return the favor or I'd be here all day pointing out errors in your reasoning and language.

That said, I'm glad you have enough integrity to claim I offered an "implied justification" of the teens crimes. You had to say "implied" because any unbiased reading of what I wrote will find not a shred of evidence of any justification of anyone's crimes. All I said is that only some crimes are videotaped. That those crimes may be more likely to be committed by blacks and Latinos does not mean blacks and Latinos commit more crime than whites, because we know that whites are more likely to commit crimes from boardrooms, such as insider training, illegal polluting plans, fraudulent business practices, etc. How can blacks commit those kinds of crimes when they are almost completely absent from the positions that would allow them to do so? Further, I pointed out that boardroom crime and insider trading crime and other such white collar crime can also cause great pain and suffering and, ultimately, death. For example, Bernie Madoff is conservatively estimated to have scammed a 162-page list of investors out of 18 billion dollars, though some post the scam as costing up to 65 billion dollars. As of March 24, 2017, at least four of his victims had committed suicide:

Madoff investor who lost $1.4B apparently committed suicide - ABC News

Maybe you'll see that as an appeal to emotion. If so, fine: crime can kill and having emotions about that isn't wrong.

I see no "false equivalency" and no unbiased person would either. Really, would you rather be robbed of $500 by a person with a balled up fist, or $500,000 by a person with a briefcase? Because reasonable people probably disagree on that at about a 50/50 division, there is an actual equivalence, not a false one. Me, I'd prefer the fist to the briefcase. But nothing in my preferences justifies either crime. I'm just saying let's be honest--BOTH are crimes. And both deserve punishment.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I said "coupla" to be folksy. Call me out if you want to do so, I won't return the favor or I'd be here all day pointing out errors in your reasoning and language.

That said, I'm glad you have enough integrity to claim I offered an "implied justification" of the teens crimes. You had to say "implied" because any unbiased reading of what I wrote will find not a shred of evidence of any justification of anyone's crimes. All I said is that only some crimes are videotaped. That those crimes may be more likely to be committed by blacks and Latinos does not mean blacks and Latinos commit more crime than whites, because we know that whites are more likely to commit crimes from boardrooms, such as insider training, illegal polluting plans, fraudulent business practices, etc. How can blacks commit those kinds of crimes when they are almost completely absent from the positions that would allow them to do so? Further, I pointed out that boardroom crime and insider trading crime and other such white collar crime can also cause great pain and suffering and, ultimately, death. For example, Bernie Madoff is conservatively estimated to have scammed a 162-page list of investors out of 18 billion dollars, though some post the scam as costing up to 65 billion dollars. As of March 24, 2017, at least four of his victims had committed suicide:

Madoff investor who lost $1.4B apparently committed suicide - ABC News

Maybe you'll see that as an appeal to emotion. If so, fine: crime can kill and having emotions about that isn't wrong.

I see no "false equivalency" and no unbiased person would either. Really, would you rather be robbed of $500 by a person with a balled up fist, or $500,000 by a person with a briefcase? Because reasonable people probably disagree on that at about a 50/50 division, there is an actual equivalence, not a false one. Me, I'd prefer the fist to the briefcase. But nothing in my preferences justifies either crime. I'm just saying let's be honest--BOTH are crimes. And both deserve punishment.
Logical fallacy assistance.

LMGTFY

Old 07-13-2017, 10:43 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, if they're saying that releasing the videos would be racist, then we know who's committing the majority of the crimes. So what, exactly, have they accomplished, by announcing that?
Those were my thoughts too.

They are actually only confirming what people have suspected for a long time, which is that there is institutional (state and media, that is) bias towards covering up of crimes in certain communities.

Look, I'm a lifelong Californian and a liberal Democrat (on most issues) myself, but I am calling "BS" on this too.

This covering up and making excuses for some people, while going after others -- no holds barred, is the kind of double-standard that ended up getting Donald Trump elected.

If we want to get Democrats elected again beyond the Bay Area and Los Angeles County, and the confines of all other "blue" archipelagos, then this has to change.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:45 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
There are so many BART incidences with "teens". These teens seem to especially target Dublin-bound trains. I wonder why.
You know why...

They're following the Asian and White commuters out to those suburbs in the Tri-Valley

Old 07-16-2017, 05:25 AM

989 posts, read 1,877,294 times
San Francisco is ground 0 for liberal idiocy. Is anyone really surprised?

Old 07-16-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
San Francisco is ground 0 for liberal idiocy. Is anyone really surprised?
I have found that black crime is an open secret because all of my liberal friends, and there are many, know the truth about the absurdly high rates of black crime but find excuses for it.

Family secret: What the left won't tell you about black crime - Washington Times

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 07-16-2017 at 10:03 AM..

Old 07-17-2017, 12:57 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:

Citylove wrote:
Are you actually a professor, or do you just play one on TV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland