U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 08:19 PM

5 posts, read 11,917 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've lived in the South Bay (San Jose) for most of my life,and now I'm thinking about moving back to the East Bay (Oakland) and commuting to Palo Alto. What should I be expecting with traffic?

Back in 2005 when I was in my early 20's I use to work across the coliseum,and I recall the commute back to San Jose being hell. However,years of commuting have made me tolerate traffic. Currently,I work in Palo Alto right of the 101 and live in San Jose also near the 101. During prime hours the commute home takes me any where from 1 hour & 15 minutes - 1 hour & 30.

In the morning,I usually leave slightly after peak hours (9:45-10)and it usually takes 45 minutes.

Anyone doing this commute can you share your experiences?

Last edited by Rs732; 07-12-2017 at 08:32 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 10:17 PM

5,250 posts, read 6,785,699 times
I mean if you are cool with a 90+ min commute, go for it. 880 is an absolute nightmare and accidents happen there all the time, rush hour or not. I had to do a commute from Oakland to RWC for a while after 'peak' hours in the morning and it was still horrendous. Once it starts raining in the fall and daylight hours dwindle, you'll be pretty miserable.

Now, if you can head back to Oakland after 7:30 or 8:00 PM it's about 35-40 mins, and it's pretty smooth sailing across the San Mateo Bridge, but any time during the daytime sucks.

I love Oakland, but it's honestly not worth that stress imo. What's wrong with San Mateo?

Old 07-12-2017, 10:22 PM

655 posts, read 1,799,049 times
+1000. Traffic is far, far worse than it was in 2005--congestion on both 880 and 580 have gotten horrific during commute hours in the past decade. The only way I would do that would be with a late AM commute (you're probably fine after 10 am) and a late return (leaving at 7 or after). If you have to stay within traditional commute hours (7-10a, 4-7p)--not for love or money (for me, at least).

Alternatively, if you plan to change jobs to something closer by, you can probably grin and bear it for a few months. But if you plan to stay at the Palo Alto job, I'd look on the Peninsula or Fremont if you really want to go East Bay.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:46 AM

My commute during peak hours is already 75 mins to 90 mins,and traffic is just as bad on the 101. Thus,it sounds like my commute might be the same but closer to the 90 minute mark. My job is fairly flexible,so I won't be doing much commuting during peak hours in the morning. Hmm,maybe I'll stay with a friend that lives in Oakland for a couple of days,and see how the commute is for myself. Maybe,outer SF might be more doable?

San Mateo would not be much of a difference than living in San Jose. I miss being in walking distance from places to dine,night life,etc...

Old 07-13-2017, 08:23 AM

28,093 posts, read 31,783,869 times
I worked in San Mateo a few years ago and it was taking an hour in the morning a and I left at 8:45 or 9:16. The way home was 75+ minutes. And it was getting worse everyday. I wouldn't even think about it at all. Downtown San Mateo is pretty good and walkable.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:34 AM

372 posts, read 433,793 times
Google maps says it would take 2 to 2.5 hours EACH WAY on average between Palo Alto and Oakland during peak commute hours. That's just suicide. And believe it or not, there are plenty of walkable neighborhoods on the Peninsula and South Bay, so not sure your reasoning for moving is sound.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:53 PM

28,093 posts, read 31,783,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoastal View Post
Google maps says it would take 2 to 2.5 hours EACH WAY on average between Palo Alto and Oakland during peak commute hours. That's just suicide. And believe it or not, there are plenty of walkable neighborhoods on the Peninsula and South Bay, so not sure your reasoning for moving is sound.
That sounds pretty accurate to me. That would be horrendous unless you worked from like noon to 9pm. Then the commute might be somewhat tolerable.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:31 PM

213 posts, read 210,627 times
Why not stay in the south bay? San Jose to Palo Alto is much more doable than Oakland to Palo Alto, and you don't have to pay $5 every day for bridge tolls.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I worked in San Mateo a few years ago and it was taking an hour in the morning a and I left at 8:45 or 9:16. The way home was 75+ minutes. And it was getting worse everyday. I wouldn't even think about it at all. Downtown San Mateo is pretty good and walkable.
You worked in San Mateo and lived in Oakland, and the commute was about 60-75 mins?

Old 07-13-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post
Why not stay in the south bay? San Jose to Palo Alto is much more doable than Oakland to Palo Alto, and you don't have to pay $5 every day for bridge tolls.
I'm bored and tired of living here. San Jose lacks a lot of everything unless you're into dinning at chain restaurants that you have drive across town to visit. Also,a majority of my friends still live in SF/Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or