Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 06:33 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbnsf View Post
Rarely do I agree with you...

In this situation, you have little to gain and much to lose, on many levels. Why put yourself out there. Besides, with many new cars - I wouldn't want to mess around with the delicate electronics. And I bet a good number of drivers don't even know where their battery/terminals are. I wouldn't expect people to stop and charge my car. It's part of the responsibility of owning one- handling your issues and be prepared for the unexpected. What's a jump going to do anyway, get him to the next busy street where he breaks down again and blocks traffic?
If someone really doesn't know where the battery & battery posts are located, they lack everyday skills. But then again it's San Francisco, so wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

Batteries don't normally die again once started, unless of course the car is turned off. So giving someone a jump should be ample to let them get somewhere else

Common decency should come into play, but again, it's San Francisco, so probably not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 07:07 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,455 times
My girlfriend and I came upon a Hispanic guy walking with an empty gas can -- he had been walking for a while and the gas station was still about a half mile away. I pulled over and asked if he needed a ride to the gas station. He said in a very hostile tone, "I need gas but I don't need no ride." I took that to mean he didn't want any help from a white guy. I've never stopped to help anyone else since then.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:08 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
My girlfriend and I came upon a Hispanic guy walking with an empty gas can -- he had been walking for a while and the gas station was still about a half mile away. I pulled over and asked if he needed a ride to the gas station. He said in a very hostile tone, "I need gas but I don't need no ride." I took that to mean he didn't want any help from a white guy. I've never stopped to help anyone else since then.
Considering you're probably a gentrifier I'd say you're the reason he lives in poverty.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:19 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbnsf View Post
I wouldn't stop. The color of the skin has nothing to do with my decision. It's San Francisco, you are a block or two away from getting any help you need. Buses are always a couple blocks away as well. It's not like the guy was in the sticks looking for help.

Good on you for doing so; that's your prerogative. I respect that and everyone else's decision not to, as well. The fact that he said he actually waited 2 hours on one of the busiest streets in SF without seeking help, raises warning bells for me about the guy being a nut job.
I do not believe in altruism as a rule to live by nor do I give to worthy "charities" (which are to me merely money making schemes for those running them). However, I do stop and help people from time to time provided they do not look menacing and really look to be in need. When I see a guy in need, especially a minority male, especially an older guy, I am actually MORE willing to help than I am anyone else. I have gotten out and helped them push their car out of a dangerous situation or helped with other basics. The reason I do this is because the person is very unlikely to get any help as contrasted by a stranded white woman (or any woman really), for whom you can be sure someone will stop. Men on the other hand, get nothing but rejection and no help in this society, especially black men (due to people being afraid of them). So I say, help a brother out; few will help a guy.

This idea that that guy "can handle it" and there is help everywhere for him, pisses me off. It is the same attitude that men encounter everywhere. It is hard to move a car alone.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:34 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Do cops here stop to help in situations like this? In Houston I saw cops helping people change flat tires.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:39 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Considering you're probably a gentrifier I'd say you're the reason he lives in poverty.
Please, don't start this bullish!t

Old 07-21-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Men are not conditioned to ask for help and are often angry when they find themselves needy. Then again, he might have been a racist pig, no telling. In any case, he was an arse.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 07-21-2017 at 09:03 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 08:55 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Please, don't start this bullish!t
I'm 25 with a net worth of 153k and techies are the reason I'm in poverty.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:59 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Why are you assuming he lives in poverty? Just because he ran out of gas? Maybe he was driving a Lambo. Why are you assuming I'm a gentrifer? Oh, yea...I said I was white. Reasonable assumption

Old 07-21-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Why are you assuming he lives in poverty? Just because he ran out of gas? Maybe he was driving a Lambo. Why are you assuming I'm a gentrifer? Oh, yea...I said I was white. Reasonable assumption
FROCK race politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland