U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:26 PM

8 posts, read 35,203 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm currently a grad student renting a house in San Mateo. Wife is starting a new job in Oakland - I'm considering taking a job in Walnut Creek (Diablo Hospital). We're thinking of moving to Concord, as the housing prices seem less exorbitant than Lafayette, Orinda, Walnut Creek.

Just wondering from people who are familiar with the area if Concord is safe, and if the schools are decent. Our older child will start kindergarten in 2008. Thanks for any insight!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 10:11 PM

116 posts, read 432,805 times
It all depends on where in Concord you are. There are some areas that are pretty bad. I don't think the schools are the greatest either. Have you thought of Pleasant Hill. Prices are a bit less there and I think the schools are better, generally a safer community. You also might try some of the older sections of Walnut Creek. The prices may be higher, but you have good schools. Clayton may also be something to consider. It is a beautiful community with good schools but might be to much of a communte for your wife. Best of Luck to you, we bought our first home 20 years ago. Can't imagine trying to do it now
Warmly
~Duke101

Old 12-07-2006, 12:43 AM

111 posts, read 259,600 times
Concord is not bad at all. You would have to be off your rocker to think other wise. There are not bad parts of concord. Crime is relatively low. There are some lowere rent areas such as old appartments and trailer homes were mexicans who do the service jobs live.

Until 1995 the city was the eastern terminus of the Concord line of Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) commuter train system; the line has since been extended eastward to Pittsburg/Bay Point. Concord has been primarily a bedroom community for San Francisco and Oakland over the last forty years, but during the last decade, some corporations with strong Bay Area regional ties, such as Chevron and Bank of America, have established extensive back-office operations there, diversifying the local economy.

Concord is also the home of the annual Concord Jazz Festival and the Concord Records jazz record label.

Concord's Mount Diablo High School is home to several acclaimed California academies, specifically the Digital Safari, a three-year program involving the integration of multimedia with the core curriculum through integrated, project-based learning. The headquarters of the Kabul Soccer Club is located in Concord.

Concord's De La Salle High School (private) is home for the record winning streak of 151 games set by the football team between 1992 and 2004. During that span, De La Salle won 12 California North Coast sectional championships, and was named national champion five different times (once by ESPN, four times by USA Today). DeLaSalle sends many kids to play college and profootball.

Jazz musician Dave Brubeck was born in Concord, as was actor Tom Hanks, Olympic gold-medalist Natalie Coughlin and mixed martial artist Gil Castillo.

Concord may not be the poshest suburb but its not the worst. basically concord is seen as the last bastion of hope for the middle class before they have to move inland to places like antioch.

Basically if you move to walnut creek or pleasant hill, in your situation youll probably get ripped off. Youll pay more money for the same type of house you could have in concord for like 50-100,000 dollars less. All the while getting virtually the same amenities as you would in concord. Basically walnut creek and concord are a little more "posh".

Old 12-11-2006, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrobert View Post
Concord is not bad at all. You would have to be off your rocker to think other wise. There are not bad parts of concord. Crime is relatively low. There are some lowere rent areas such as old appartments and trailer homes were mexicans who do the service jobs live.

Until 1995 the city was the eastern terminus of the Concord line of Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) commuter train system; the line has since been extended eastward to Pittsburg/Bay Point. Concord has been primarily a bedroom community for San Francisco and Oakland over the last forty years, but during the last decade, some corporations with strong Bay Area regional ties, such as Chevron and Bank of America, have established extensive back-office operations there, diversifying the local economy.

Concord is also the home of the annual Concord Jazz Festival and the Concord Records jazz record label.

Concord's Mount Diablo High School is home to several acclaimed California academies, specifically the Digital Safari, a three-year program involving the integration of multimedia with the core curriculum through integrated, project-based learning. The headquarters of the Kabul Soccer Club is located in Concord.

Concord's De La Salle High School (private) is home for the record winning streak of 151 games set by the football team between 1992 and 2004. During that span, De La Salle won 12 California North Coast sectional championships, and was named national champion five different times (once by ESPN, four times by USA Today). DeLaSalle sends many kids to play college and profootball.

Jazz musician Dave Brubeck was born in Concord, as was actor Tom Hanks, Olympic gold-medalist Natalie Coughlin and mixed martial artist Gil Castillo.

Concord may not be the poshest suburb but its not the worst. basically concord is seen as the last bastion of hope for the middle class before they have to move inland to places like antioch.

Basically if you move to walnut creek or pleasant hill, in your situation youll probably get ripped off. Youll pay more money for the same type of house you could have in concord for like 50-100,000 dollars less. All the while getting virtually the same amenities as you would in concord. Basically walnut creek and concord are a little more "posh".
Hope I don't offend you, but there are definitely bad parts of Concord. Four Corners, Monument Blvd, Detroit Ave not places I would like to be after dark. I have lived in the area for 43 years and while no place is all bad or good if you are raising a family, and not from the area, there are areas I would consider first. Yes, there are good things about Concord as any where else, but as far as schools, De La Salle is wonderful if you have an extra 12,000 a year to put into your child's education. Pleasant Hill and Walnut Creek while they certainly have their "posh" areas, also have many humble and wonderful family neighborhoods. You may have to settle for a smaller house, but there are always sacrifices to be made. My biggest suggestion would be do your homework, don't just look at the statics or listen to one poster. Talk to people in the communities and the schools and see where you might fit. Concord can be wonderful, but I would not discount other areas.
Good Luck,
~Duke101

Old 12-12-2006, 02:36 PM

111 posts, read 259,600 times
Well you have lived in concord for 43 years so judging by your age you probably dont go anywhere after dark, you might break your hip! the areas this person described are small areas where some mexicans live. If i can walk the streets of berkeley, oakland, san fransisco and the such after dark, i dont think CONCORD is that dangerous. Quit trying to glorify the suburbs as if they are over run with crime.You cant even get a shack in concord these days for much under half a million.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Well you have lived in concord for 43 years so judging by your age you probably dont go anywhere after dark, you might break your hip! the areas this person described are small areas where some mexicans live. If i can walk the streets of berkeley, oakland, san fransisco and the such after dark, i dont think CONCORD is that dangerous. Quit trying to glorify the suburbs as if they are over run with crime.You cant even get a shack in concord these days for much under half a million.
Apparently my meaning and intentions have been misunderstood (probably my advanced age). There are many great places to live in the Bay Area, one just needs to be educated as to which area will best suit their needs. To the original poster; there are many wonderful people and places in the Bay Area, I wish you the best of luck in your new home!
~Duke101

Old 12-13-2006, 10:06 PM

55 posts, read 210,994 times
Just an additional research tidbit. If you are looking to WC for it's schools, be careful. Some areas of WC schools are actually in the Mt. Diablo School District, not the WC school district. The Mt. Diablo School district is struggling. However, that being said, there are charter schools in the area that you can look at. There are some areas of Concord that are not so great from the perspective of family. There are other area with wonderful neighborhoods. You just have to do your research carefully..

Old 12-23-2006, 12:50 AM

2 posts, read 16,404 times
No offense to anybody, but I think this is becoming a debate

I have lived in Concord my whole life, and while there are a few bad areas, there are many good areas too. All the bad places were mentioned above, but the good greatly outnumbers the bad. I agree though, the bad places are overflowing with mexicans(sorry to be blunt) For example, I lived in Dana Estates for a while (subdivision near Concord High) and moved just down the street for a bigger house. There are nicer places, but I have learned to live within my means and this area is perfect. Nice people, neighborhood, and crime is almost non-existent in my area. The most exciting thing that ever happened on my court was when the police were chasing a convict and he came down our street thinking it went through. It didn't, he hit a dead end, and they caught him.

I can say that one of the best elementary schools in the area is Monte Gardens. In order for me to even get in, I had to be on a waiting list since I was 2. And if you go to Monte Gardens, you are also automatically on the list for Sequoia Middle School, which is in Pleasant Hill. This is also a great school. And there is no-where lined up after that. The majority of students go to College Park, some to Alhambra, many to Concord High(like me) and a few go to Clayton Valley. And on the subject of schools, De La Salle is expensive, but they offer financial help.

I hope I was of some help! Sorry if this was kind of lengthy

Old 12-27-2006, 12:32 AM

4,615 posts, read 9,847,996 times
Quote:

I noticed your post has the exact words about Concord that I see in Wikipedia. I lived and worked in Concord in the 1980s. The first rental apt place I lived at on Detroit Ave in Concord is now pretty bad. Very crowded and run down apartment area near hwy 242, between willow pass and monument blvd.

Most other areas of Concord are pretty nice, especially further away from the main highways and the main streets like Clayton Rd. I was just recently in Concord and was surprised at all the development going on near Todos Santos Plaza, combination condo / loft / retail buildings going in.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:11 AM

100 posts, read 370,953 times
Grew up in this area and have to say that while Concord is generally a great place to live, there are definitely bad areas where I certainly wouldn't want to raise my family, the primary of them the Monument corridor/Detroit Ave. area. There are regularly violent crimes occurring in this area, and while I don't totally avoid it in the daytime, even with my kids, at night you certainly won't find us there -- check the police crime log for proof. Anyone who knows this area knows that. Much of Concord is perfectly acceptable for raising a family, and significantly less expensive than most of Pleasant Hill and probably all of Walnut Creek. While Pleasant Hill schools are also in the Mt. Diablo School District, PH schools are generally ranked better than those in Concord. Walnut Creek schools in WCUSD are generally good, but some PH elementary schools (specifically Strandwood) scored higher in the past, not sure of this past year. Some WC elementary schools in MDUSD have not so good reputations with regard to test scores. Most of PLeasant Hill is very safe, although part of that Monument corridor area is actually Pleasant Hill as well, so be careful where you look. Walnut Creek will be more expensive than both Concord and P. Hill.

Last edited by fishstix3; 02-26-2007 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: wording
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland