Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 06:28 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,993,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I agree but it seems fairly clear that gentrification is underway. Perhaps a solid buying opportunity for the right investors (not me, I'm basically done with CA real estate and the only way I'd ever buy anything here again is just a short term flip project).

I do keep my eye out for flips and I have to say most of the likely looking properties are in Contra Costa County. I have seen a few real gems recently - where you could clear 100K in 60 days if you knew what you were doing.
Gentrification is not underway in those slumburbs. It's just a boom market, prices are up everywhere.

Real Estate is horrible short term investment, that's what the stock market is for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 06:43 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,211,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Gentrification is not underway in those slumburbs. It's just a boom market, prices are up everywhere.

Real Estate is horrible short term investment, that's what the stock market is for.
I agree that RE isn't a good investment, normally. Except for flips.

But gentrification is definitely happening in many areas in those cities you mentioned. People moving in have greater financial resources than the prior residents, more education, more disposable income going into the community and into the infrastructure, the tax base is increasing - it may not be impressive yet, or even that noticeable to outsiders, but its certainly going on.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I agree that RE isn't a good investment, normally. Except for flips.

But gentrification is definitely happening in many areas in those cities you mentioned. People moving in have greater financial resources than the prior residents, more education, more disposable income going into the community and into the infrastructure, the tax base is increasing - it may not be impressive yet, or even that noticeable to outsiders, but its certainly going on.
That's happeninh in Oakland, Sacramento, DTLA, and other urban centers.

Concord, Antioch, Bay Point is the reverse. The slumification of suburbia.

The poors are pushed to the suburban hinterlands. Concord had a few nice areas, but it is mostly a ratty 1970's burg, in a clear state of decay.

Pretty crazy as WC and PC are next door and not as bad (lame and bland as they may be). The awful tract housing stock and sub par schools will hinder any gentrification there. San Leandro will probably have better long term potential than Concord, as bay area commuters increasingly become on wits end.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
That's happeninh in Oakland, Sacramento, DTLA, and other urban centers.

Concord, Antioch, Bay Point is the reverse. The slumification of suburbia.

The poors are pushed to the suburban hinterlands. Concord had a few nice areas, but it is mostly a ratty 1970's burg, in a clear state of decay.

Pretty crazy as WC and PC are next door and not as bad (lame and bland as they may be). The awful tract housing stock and sub par schools will hinder any gentrification there. San Leandro will probably have better long term potential than Concord, as bay area commuters increasingly become on wits end.
I don't think that's true. The data says Concord and Antioch are improving not sure about Bay Point but I'd imagine its going to follow the trend soon enough if its not already.

I used to work in Concord and can see the improvements from then (about 15 years ago) to now, its visibly better in many areas.

The ratty areas are now smaller and are less ratty than they were even ten years ago.

That's the very definition of gentrification.

Much like you can see in parts of Oakland, even the dreaded "east oakland" is getting better , which is amazing.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I don't think that's true. The data says Concord and Antioch are improving not sure about Bay Point but I'd imagine its going to follow the trend soon enough if its not already.

I used to work in Concord and can see the improvements from then (about 15 years ago) to now, its visibly better in many areas.

The ratty areas are now smaller and are less ratty than they were even ten years ago.

That's the very definition of gentrification.

Much like you can see in parts of Oakland, even the dreaded "east oakland" is getting better , which is amazing.
Disagree. I wad just in Concord a year. Took a back road from Pittsburg into Concord. It looked just as dumpy as I remember. Properties filled with garbage, tweakers on meth, stray pitbulls. If you adjust for inflation, Concord is actually less affluent than it was 15 years ago. It is not getting better.It's the same as it was 30 years ago: Last stop before making the plunge into the delta suburbs. Except home prices are even higher, while residents' purchasing power has declined.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Disagree. I wad just in Concord a year. Took a back road from Pittsburg into Concord. It looked just as dumpy as I remember. Properties filled with garbage, tweakers on meth, stray pitbulls. If you adjust for inflation, Concord is actually less affluent than it was 15 years ago. It is not getting better.It's the same as it was 30 years ago: Last stop before making the plunge into the delta suburbs. Except home prices are even higher, while residents' purchasing power has declined.
That's because Pittsburgh has been kinda a dump so yah, that border area sucks too.

But eventually even that part will gentrify. Those worst areas of course are going to be the last to improve, which is the same pattern in all suburbs. The crappiest and worst neighborhoods have the most staying power because they have the highest momentum of crappiness. The worst residents, ones nobody wants to live next too, for example. So their street will suck until they croak or are evicted or finally move away.

That's exactly the same as many south bay communities that are now considered desirable and have basically been purged of the lowlifes that were always dragging it down.

Major swaths of Sunnyvale for example. And the worst areas - still are garbage because of who lives there. So until those people are moved out, and their little rat trap houses razed and rebuilt as "mini mansions", they will continue to suck. But it will happen, just like it happened to the rest of the formerly crap areas.

Alviso is going thru this right now. If there was anyplace more desperate and distasteful than Milpitas (which was widely regarded as a dump), it was Alviso, which actually WAS an actual dump at one point.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:07 PM

42,783 posts, read 26,085,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJD View Post
Still beats paying $3,500/mo to live in Brentwood 😁
You don't have to pay $3500 to rent a house in Brentwood

4/3 Brentwood 2630 sq ft $2600 https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa...219721911.html

5/3 Brentwood 2939 sq ft $2690 https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa...258436629.html

4/2 Brentwood $2250 https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa...257363718.html

4/2.5 Brentwood $2200 https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa...259545944.html

Old 08-11-2017, 10:14 PM

42,783 posts, read 26,085,747 times
Quote:
I hate to agree with you (J/K) but I think you nailed it here. ^

Old 08-13-2017, 02:24 PM

522 posts, read 732,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJD View Post
Easy.

Move to Arizona where the weather is similar to far East Bay.
Antioch is the hottest city in the far East Bay, and its summers are mild compared to AZ. These are the temps.
Sun
Sunny
88°62°
Mon
Partly Cloudy
79°58°
Tue
Sunny
86°58°
Wed
Sunny
89°60°
Thu
Sunny
91°62°
Fri
Sunny
90°61°
Sat
Sunny
87°59°
Sun
Sunny
85°59°
https://www.google.com/search?q=anti...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Here's Scottsdale:

Sun
Mostly Sunny
101°84°
Mon
Partly Cloudy
104°81°
Tue
Mostly Sunny
102°78°
Wed
Sunny
103°79°
Thu
Sunny
105°81°
Fri
Sunny
107°82°
Sat
Sunny
107°83°
Sun
Partly Cloudy
103°82°

https://www.google.com/search?q=scot...48.PZT9Da0Nnak

So no, they're not similar.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I hate to agree with you (J/K) but I think you nailed it here. ^
Exactly.

Life is too short to live in Concord.

Better to live closer to job centers at that price.

Or move out to Brentwood, where quality people are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland