Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:17 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Moved away from the Bay Area.

Never coming back. Ever.

Had the biggest sight of relief when I woke up in my new home in Virginia. My mortgage for a 2600sq ft house was about half of my RENT for a 500sq ft apartment.

I can leave anytime and go to the store without worrying about sitting in traffic for an hour.

I can commute to work, which takes 10 minutes. No more paying $8 one way to deal with psycho, drugged-out smelly dancers on the BART.

State taxes cost me 3% instead of 10%.

Actually have money left over to enjoy life and not worry about the future.

Screw the Bay Area. You guys can keep it.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I lived in California from 1994 to 2006 then moved to Oregon for grad school. Moved to North Carolina in 2009 because my husband had a job offer. Have been here since. Plan to move back to the Bay Area in about 5 years maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 02:19 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I lived in California from 1994 to 2006 then moved to Oregon for grad school. Moved to North Carolina in 2009 because my husband had a job offer. Have been here since. Plan to move back to the Bay Area in about 5 years maybe.
Trust me, I didn't. Both middle fingers were up and I never looked back.

It's changed a lot since 2009. You might want to visit first, or at least peruse house and apartment listings to get an idea of how much it costs now.

My mom has lived there since 2007 and has decided to move away herself. She absolutely loved the area but it's getting to be a bit too much.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Trust me, I didn't. Both middle fingers were up and I never looked back.

It's changed a lot since 2009. You might want to visit first, or at least peruse house and apartment listings to get an idea of how much it costs now.

My mom has lived there since 2007 and has decided to move away herself. She absolutely loved the area but it's getting to be a bit too much.
I still think the positives outweigh the negatives.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:35 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Moved away from the Bay Area.

Never coming back. Ever.

Had the biggest sight of relief when I woke up in my new home in Virginia. My mortgage for a 2600sq ft house was about half of my RENT for a 500sq ft apartment.

I can leave anytime and go to the store without worrying about sitting in traffic for an hour.

I can commute to work, which takes 10 minutes. No more paying $8 one way to deal with psycho, drugged-out smelly dancers on the BART.

State taxes cost me 3% instead of 10%.

Actually have money left over to enjoy life and not worry about the future.

Screw the Bay Area. You guys can keep it.
That sucks, I really miss your objective, positive personality on this forum....

Old 07-31-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That sucks, I really miss your objective, positive personality on this forum....
If that's an example of his/her positivity, then I don't know what to say.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:44 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post

I have no doubt that you are right and there are plenty of people who are miserable here. I am just curious to hear some more details about it.

I didn't say everybody was miserable, but yeah, I think lots of people who are paying outrageous housing costs are fed up with the prices- especially if they are having to move farther away from their jobs to be able to afford a decent roof over their heads. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm certainly not a happy camper whenever I'm forced endure traffic, and I'm actually fairly lucky, since I don't have to commute during peak commute times on a regular day-to-day basis. Anecdotally speaking, it seems like when I'm running errands at Costco or the grocery store lots of folks seem super stressed out, exhausted, or just plain agitated- that's if they even bother to look up from the screen they're busy staring at. The weather, scenery, food, and entertainment here all remain top notch, but if you can't afford to enjoy any of these things (or if you're too busy working all the time), I can absolutely see why people would be miserable. If you don't believe me, just read through some of the threads on here to see what I'm talking about.

I don't think any of this is a uniquely Bay Area phenomenon either; times are tough for lots of people everywhere. But if the OP is trying to get a reading on the current vibe here, I don't think I'm alone in saying that it's just not a great time to relocate back here. Unless they've got an awesome job offer or a supportive network of friends/family to make the transition easy, why move to a place that's so prohibitively expensive? The Bay Area will likely always be expensive and desirable, but timing is everything.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:44 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
If that's an example of his/her positivity, then I don't know what to say.
Lol, exactly...

Old 07-31-2017, 03:17 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I didn't say everybody was miserable, but yeah, I think lots of people who are paying outrageous housing costs are fed up with the prices- especially if they are having to move farther away from their jobs to be able to afford a decent roof over their heads. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm certainly not a happy camper whenever I'm forced endure traffic, and I'm actually fairly lucky, since I don't have to commute during peak commute times on a regular day-to-day basis. Anecdotally speaking, it seems like when I'm running errands at Costco or the grocery store lots of folks seem super stressed out, exhausted, or just plain agitated- that's if they even bother to look up from the screen they're busy staring at. The weather, scenery, food, and entertainment here all remain top notch, but if you can't afford to enjoy any of these things (or if you're too busy working all the time), I can absolutely see why people would be miserable. If you don't believe me, just read through some of the threads on here to see what I'm talking about.

I don't think any of this is a uniquely Bay Area phenomenon either; times are tough for lots of people everywhere. But if the OP is trying to get a reading on the current vibe here, I don't think I'm alone in saying that it's just not a great time to relocate back here. Unless they've got an awesome job offer or a supportive network of friends/family to make the transition easy, why move to a place that's so prohibitively expensive? The Bay Area will likely always be expensive and desirable, but timing is everything.
thanks for taking the time. I think these are probably fair observations, but I agree with you that the mood could be like that across America.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:30 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,440 times
Quote:
I still think the positives outweigh the negatives.
Unless you are wealthy, I think you are out of touch with reality.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:34 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,738 times
Quote:
Unless you are wealthy, I think you are out of touch with reality.
you sound like yogi berra. nobody wants to live here. it is too crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland