Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 05:35 PM

43 posts, read 45,939 times

Advertisements

I am curious if anyone here has or knows anyone who has moved back to the Bay area from wherever they "escaped" to (i.e, Seattle, Portland, Denver-- these seem to be the most common cities Bay area residents seem to migrate to)? If so, how did you do it and what made you move back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 06:48 PM

24,339 posts, read 26,758,545 times
Among other cities... I moved from Florida to San Francisco to Florida to San Francisco and then back to Florida lol

I like both places a lot, just very different lifestyles, as of now I think I'll be staying here for good, unless I get bored, but I'm pretty settled in now.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:02 PM

23,331 posts, read 23,730,329 times
Born & raised in the Bay Area, relocated to Southern California for college, stayed 20 years and moved back. Did move back again to Southern California for a short period of time for an enticing job offer, but ended up coming back. Like the culture and proximity of friends & family here.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:33 PM

6,403 posts, read 8,237,397 times
Now is a pretty awful time to move back here if we're going to be completely honest. Rents are ridiculous, traffic is awful, and a lot of people seem to be genuinely miserable. If you've got family/friends, that helps a ton- especially if you haven't been gone that long. But if it's been 10+ years, it's not the same place anymore. Heck, it's not the same place it was 5 years ago.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:39 PM

197 posts, read 270,088 times
In all honesty, I would LOVE to move back. But only if I could afford to OWN a home in Lafayette, Danville, Alamo, Walnut Creek, or Pleasanton.

I make a decent low 6 figure wage, and unfortunately that's not enough. So I live in Scottsdale, Az where that salary gets me a beautiful home in a gated community and top ranked schools for my family.

My wage only afforded us rent in a ghetto area of Concord. And 90% of my neighbors were low income families but were 2nd/3rd generation Californians so they had cheap housing. Really weird dynamic of having nothing in common with your neighbors, not to mention many of them spoke in Spanish.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:35 AM

43,351 posts, read 44,062,834 times
I too would consider moving back to the Bay Area if I had a decent job there that would allow me to live a decent standard of living in the area. (Currently I live on the East Coast!)

Old 07-31-2017, 08:37 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,289,909 times
Born and raised in Santa Clara County. Went to the East Coast for grad school. Worked in Asia for 10+ years and enjoyed it but it wasn't really home. Came back during the dot com boom a bit reluctantly as Silicon Valley seemed dull compared to NYC and Hong Kong, but as we stayed longer, my yearning for other places waned, and I learned to appreciate the Bay Area more - and my family is all here too. I guess you can always return home. And it's fun being an old-timer and returnee seeing how things change and how they don't.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:59 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,629,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Now is a pretty awful time to move back here if we're going to be completely honest. Rents are ridiculous, traffic is awful, and a lot of people seem to be genuinely miserable. If you've got family/friends, that helps a ton- especially if you haven't been gone that long. But if it's been 10+ years, it's not the same place anymore. Heck, it's not the same place it was 5 years ago.
I am curious why you say a lot of people are genuinely miserable. What type of people are you referring to? I have a pretty varied section of friends and most love living in the Bay Area - from military to people making $50k to people with 6 digits plus income.

Even people who shouldn't really live here and would likely be a lot better off financially in the south or the midwest stay here, because they love it and think that their kids would benefit more by being here than in the south.

So I know people. who are unhappy with what they can afford here, but most genuinely love the area and would be sad to leave it.

I have no doubt that you are right and there are plenty of people who are miserable here. I am just curious to hear some more details about it.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:40 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,492,742 times
Moved away from the Bay Area.

Never coming back. Ever.

Had the biggest sight of relief when I woke up in my new home in Virginia. My mortgage for a 2600sq ft house was about half of my RENT for a 500sq ft apartment.

I can leave anytime and go to the store without worrying about sitting in traffic for an hour.

I can commute to work, which takes 10 minutes. No more paying $8 one way to deal with psycho, drugged-out smelly dancers on the BART.

State taxes cost me 3% instead of 10%.

Actually have money left over to enjoy life and not worry about the future.

Screw the Bay Area. You guys can keep it.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:48 AM

675 posts, read 1,186,160 times
I was born and raised in NYC. Moved to SF bay Area when I was 37 in 1999, lived there for 7 years, and fell in love with it. Stupidly moved back to NYC in 2006 (after a divorce, to be close to the support of my family), and miss the Bay Area every day. Hate NYC. Plan on moving back when I retire in 10-12 years (maybe). I have elderly parents, both 77 years old. One is doing really well health wise (knock on wood), so I may be stuck in NY for quite some time. But the other unfortunately is not doing too well. I am staying in NY because I love them both dearly. I wish I could talk them into moving to the Bay Area :-). But I definitely plan on moving back some day. It's the only place that makes me truly happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland