Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 06:10 PM

8 posts, read 12,964 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Europe and have been living pretty comfortably on the East Coast for the past 10 years. I have a good job, great apartment, not much to worry about financially but bored to death (I live in a mid size city) and it's always been my dream to live in California/San Francisco. I am ready to make the move.

I understand that SF is a much more expensive city to live in but to me the benefits outweigh the risks. I currently make $140K a year so would expect to make the same or slightly more in SF. I am not sure if I'll be able to secure a job before moving (the job search is not great at the moment - i am assuming because i am not local) so I was thinking of possibly even moving to SF without a job since I have enough savings to do that. I don't know where I will find a job, since I could end up in SF or elsewhere in the bay area. I have a preference for city living but also like warmer/nice weather.

My question is - if I was to look for an apartment in SF itself, what area should I look into. I am cool with a studio but would like to be in a safe area that is somewhat appealing. I am single and looking to meet new people and enjoy life!

If not SF itself, what area within reasonable commute should I consider?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 06:45 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Everything really depends on where you find a job. If you found a job in the City and wanted warmer temps, then the Eastern part of the City would work for you. Bernal Heights, SOMA, Mission Bay, Dogpatch, Mission District, etc.

If you don't want to live in the City (and get a job in the City), then Oakland or Berkeley would be the two more "happening" cities and not too difficult of a commute.

If you find a job in Silicon Valley or on the Peninsula--then you might not want to commute from any of these mentioned cities other than San Francisco (some neighborhoods better than others and you'l want to take Caltrain or drive from the western part of the City (Richmond/Sunset/Ingleside, etc--colder and foggier weather pattern). I like San Mateo a lot--this would be your best option for more interesting happenings/restaurants/bars, etc.

So commuting by car is horrendous. You don't want to do this every day depending on where the job is. Try to stay as close to the job as possible. Look at a googlemaps of the Bay Area. West- is colder/foggy---the more east you go the hotter it gets in general. If you get a job west---stay west. If you get a job east, stay east for commuting purposes...generally speaking of course.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:21 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I'd say if you are living in NYC and maybe DC or Boston on that salary, quality of life would be similar. Any other metro, it would be a big downgrade in lifestyle to come to the Bay Area.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:26 AM

8 posts, read 12,964 times
Yes, I do realize that my lifestyle would take a hit if I moved to there. I am currently outside Boston, I pay $1650 for a 3 bed just to give you an idea But I am aware of it and prepared. I just can't stay where I am anymore. I also work in tech so it would probably be a beneficial move for my career. I visited SF/Napa in May and loved it. The only thing that made me question whether I would like to live in SF itself was the weather. It was quite cold and windy at times. I just checked the temps again and this week it's in the 60s...I like true summer temps and sun so I am wondering if I would be better off living outside of SF but with easy access to the city by car or else.

clongirl - for the areas in SF that you mentioned, is $3K/month for a studio the average price? I am even open to have a roommate if I needed to, even though I prefer to have my own place.
Also, I really don't know San Mateo, why do you like it?

I'm going to keep applying but i think the real question is if I move without a job, what would be the smartest place to go even if temporary?

Old 08-06-2017, 11:01 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
I don't know what the average rental prices are--3k seems a little steep for a studio though. My guess it that you could probably find a one bedroom in the 2500$ range. You can get a better sense on Craigslist. The San Mateo area would be a good choice even temporarily because it's close and commutable to both Silicon Valley and San Francisco. It's also got a nice downtown and a good mix restaurants/bars.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:51 AM

San Mateo (and Oakland and Berkeley) have better weather that SF in the summer. Berkeley is more like upper 60s, and kinda windy. But the fog rolls in early. Oakland and San Mateo are about the same - 70s. There are pockets of San Mateo that get windy in the afternoon, not downtown though, more like closer to the Bay.

You can go more i land or further south and the weather is even different. The joke here is if you hate the weather, go a few miles and it'll be different.

Your apartment will be crappy in comparison here in the Bay Area - I just like to put that out there. Most apartments are old, but not in the charming turn of the century way. More like the ugly 60-70s way.

If you end up working in downtown SF or most of SOMA, Oakland is an easier commute than most oF SF. San Mateo has Caltrain, but Caltrain is a mile from most SF offices. BART is 5 miles away, but better for downtown and less crowded in that direction. It is the best choice to get to SF from San Mateo.

BART is crowded from the east bay - I take the bus to my SOMA office. My commute from Oakland is 30 minutes give or take 5 every day (door to door). I have colleagues in SF who live 3 miles away and it takes longer.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I don't know what the average rental prices are--3k seems a little steep for a studio though. My guess it that you could probably find a one bedroom in the 2500$ range. You can get a better sense on Craigslist. The San Mateo area would be a good choice even temporarily because it's close and commutable to both Silicon Valley and San Francisco. It's also got a nice downtown and a good mix restaurants/bars.
I haven't priced San Mateo in a while, but 2500 might be a bit low. There isn't much inventory in Central areas of Oakland at that price anymore, San Mateo is generally pricier.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:21 PM

901 posts, read 1,167,886 times
You didn't say what you do in tech. It might not get any easier if you are here. Things have begun to change in the industry re: hiring; outside of the very hot software engineering roles, there is a slowdown. You didn't say whether you are in startups or a larger company - this is also relevant. As long as you have a lot of money, sure, come and try it, but if you do not have in-demand skills here, and have no network (it is very clubby, and not overly friendly to women, as you probably know - maybe it's better in the East) - you might have a hard time. You can still move for a few months and move back if you don't get anywhere, and you'll have the benefit of some fun time. In 2017, Bay Area tech is not the party many people think it is.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
You didn't say what you do in tech. It might not get any easier if you are here. Things have begun to change in the industry re: hiring; outside of the very hot software engineering roles, there is a slowdown. You didn't say whether you are in startups or a larger company - this is also relevant. As long as you have a lot of money, sure, come and try it, but if you do not have in-demand skills here, and have no network (it is very clubby, and not overly friendly to women, as you probably know - maybe it's better in the East) - you might have a hard time. You can still move for a few months and move back if you don't get anywhere, and you'll have the benefit of some fun time. In 2017, Bay Area tech is not the party many people think it is.
I know of so many mid to senior marketing jobs. OP if you do that there is a lot of opportunity. As well sales experience or account management in large accounts.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:04 AM

8 posts, read 10,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac881 View Post
I just checked the temps again and this week it's in the 60s.
San Francisco has so many microclimates due to its topography and proximity to the ocean and bay that you can't really just 'check the weather' and get an accurate guage of the temperature. It might be nice and sunny in some part of the small city, while its foggy and cold a few hills away. When you check the weather, what part of San Francisco are they referring to at any moment? You don't have any way of knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland