Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 07:04 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times

Advertisements

I understand it's hard not to "buy into" all the talk, threats, etc...between the US and North Korea, but odds of it actually happening are still lower than what the news makes it out to be (of course!)

Simply too much at stake, assets, too many would die, etc... The US military would crush North Korea very quickly if something were to happen, and North Korea would lose their dictatorship shortly after. Sure, a bunch would die, but the last thing NK wants is a free country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 07:09 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Negotiations to release a Canadian pastor from N. Korea are in the works in the last 24 hours and an announcement regarding his release is pending. Religious leader, Hyeon Soo Lim, was detained in a labor camp for 2 years.

It's interesting timing that while the Canadians are negotiating the release of a prisoner from N. Korea on the basis of humanitarian grounds, Trump is discussing war with the same country. Why is it that one global leader can successfully communicate with N. Korea while the other cannot communicate?

Even a kindergarten teacher knows that conflict requires de-escalation. Why don't Trump and his advisors know this?

Old 08-09-2017, 07:44 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
One would hope so, but word is that they've figured out how to attach nuclear weapons to the top of their missiles and are now capable of sending nuclear weapons as far as the USA ... speculation is that they can reach Chicago. Trump seems to be taking the threats seriously, and lobbing bigger threats back at North Korea.

Last time anyone worried about nuclear bombs was the 1960s. Between 1960 and today, people have joked about the ridiculous "preparation" and safety recommendations that were provided to people about how to survive a nuclear attack. It seems rather insane that there are news reports about this again 50 years later.

I suspect that people around the world have their eyes on Trump to see what his next move will be. Is he thinking that he can attack North Korea without endangering South Koreans? What could he possibly be thinking - that South Koreans are collateral damage?
Let's be real here though. Their icbm is probably incredibly primitive (think 1960s technology) and we're loaded to the gills with anti missile defenses.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Let's be real here though. Their icbm is probably incredibly primitive (think 1960s technology) and we're loaded to the gills with anti missile defenses.
I hear what you're saying, as it seems that a few people here are not taking this news seriously. Does it not concern you that the US President is taking this seriously? He is such a goofy man that one would expect him to be making his usual "fake news" remarks if he had doubts about the seriousness of the situation.

Why does he allow this news to stand as real if it is fake news? Is escalating conflict with a dangerous country part of his determination to distract USA citizens from his personal troubles?

Is Trump's public acknowledgement of N. Korean nuclear bombs part of his fake news mind games?

Old 08-09-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I hear what you're saying, as it seems that a few people here are not taking this news seriously. Does it not concern you that the US President is taking this seriously? He is such a goofy man that one would expect him to be making his usual "fake news" remarks if he had doubts about the seriousness of the situation.

Why does he allow this news to stand as real if it is fake news? Is escalating conflict with a dangerous country part of his determination to distract USA citizens from his personal troubles?

Is Trump's public acknowledgement of N. Korean nuclear bombs part of his fake news mind games?
I don't think it's fake news. I think tensions are definitely high. But still think detours will be made and this will be avoided

Old 08-09-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I don't think it's fake news. I think tensions are definitely high. But still think detours will be made and this will be avoided
I don't think there's any option other than to avoid the "fire and fury" that excites Trump and the crazy war games of N. Korea. The problem is that both leaders want to save face, and the way they do that is to follow through.

OR ... is it enough for the two of them to stand opposing one another, posturing with threats and the acknowledgement that they can do what they claim, and to leave it at that?

Old 08-09-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I don't think there's any option other than to avoid the "fire and fury" that excites Trump and the crazy war games of N. Korea. The problem is that both leaders want to save face, and the way they do that is to follow through.

OR ... is it enough for the two of them to stand opposing one another, posturing with threats and the acknowledgement that they can do what they claim, and to leave it at that?
I actually do think it's the second thing you noted.

Both "leaders" are simply crazy. Continuing to "show force" and talk about how much damage can be done without actually doing anything is what's keeping everything at a stand still (for now). It will be annoying to hear something everyday about the "death that awaits America" but I will surely deal with it, instead of actually being blown to pieces.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:22 AM

509 posts, read 484,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Any thoughts one way or another?
They are planning to take out Guam first.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:06 PM

372 posts, read 513,965 times
Quote:
I'm having a hard time believing my ears today - news about nuclear war threats, building bunkers, updating information about what to do after a nuclear bomb strike, and Trump's stance of being aggressive. Sheesh! Is there nothing that can be done about the USA President who started his reign by poking a stick at other countries and who now is reaping the benefits of those stupid actions?

What is wrong with the man? Is he thinking that he'll be safe and who cares about everyone else?
You think North Korea developed nuclear intercontinental ballistic missiles in the 6 months Trump has been president? LOL. Trump has been taking a strong stand against NK, which is why the threats are escalating. Allowing NK to continue on its current path without interference will only make the situation far, far worse.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:39 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
I'm having a hard time believing my ears today - news about nuclear war threats, building bunkers, updating information about what to do after a nuclear bomb strike, and Trump's stance of being aggressive. Sheesh! Is there nothing that can be done about the USA President who started his reign by poking a stick at other countries and who now is reaping the benefits of those stupid actions?

What is wrong with the man? Is he thinking that he'll be safe and who cares about everyone else?
Why are you blaming Trump? The UN is who got North Korea all fired up, with their sanctions.

And who actually allowed to them to arm with nuclear weapons? I'll give you a hint - it wasn't Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: