Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 08:29 AM

9 posts, read 11,718 times

Advertisements

Don't really have any advice Dtapper except to say that I am in the same situation as you. I am in Houston and I absolutely hate living here. I want to move to New York or San Francisco and am saving up money to do so. Every day I dream of moving out. Hopefully this will soon be a reality. I'd rather be homeless than have a roof over my head in this city.

I don't have the money you've saved up but don't have a family either which makes moving much easier. Best of luck my friend ! Keep us updated on how things go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 08:43 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtapper View Post
I could not figure out how 600 would compute its more like 3400 for a ok house in castro valley or maybe livermore. 3400 times 2.5 years comes out to a ton lost. I do have some residual income of about 1600 a month that would still put me in the red.
I think what was meant was an additional $600 a month

Old 08-17-2017, 08:55 AM

I guess I don't understand the thought process of the OP.

Your goal is to finish school and you want to live like you have a career already. Yes you have a family. I get that. Sacrifices have to be made so that you can complete your education. Focus on that and forget the perfect lifestyle for now.

You have $300,000. That is enough to get most degrees completed. I sure hope that you have chosen a discipline that will pay you back for all you will be spending. I look at our young Doctors here at the hospital and many of them are going hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt to become Doctors. They will have a pay off though after they complete the program. I do know a few that say now it would have been better to become go into nursing and get a BSN or an MSN. No staff to pay and a lot less debt. In California it is easy to make six figures in nursing. An Anesthesiologist RN can bring in a couple Hundred thousand a year, depending where they work. Then again that is a lot of education to get to that point.

I think animals were mentioned. Your going to school. Get rid of the animals.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:01 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
There are options for your budget, just not directly in SF, you could even be in Daly City/Pacifica for $2500 but it might be a 1 bedroom.

Not bursting a bubble, just have to be realistic
You know I was joking right?

Old 08-17-2017, 09:11 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
I don't really see any hard place .
The op has 300k and can easily afford the move back to California.
True the rent is higher, but it's still costs the same had he stayed in the first place.
The only complaint he has is higher rent which is what everyone would have living in California.
Cheaper rent in Atlanta is a given, but op has reasons to live in California so it's a no brainer.
It boils down to money he says he will lose in higher rent, but thathigher cost is the big topic everyone has about California on whether to live here or not.
The enjoyment of California living comes at a cost.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:23 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
For the OP - have you consulted your family about this? How about the spouse and the child?

Remember, they have to buy in to this as well.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:09 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
You know I was joking right?
I was hoping so, but sadly it's hard to tell, since so many people actually think it's realistic

Old 08-17-2017, 10:27 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
There's a nice little 2-br. house with plenty of yard space (not sure if fenced) in the Mission San Jose area of Fremont right now, in the OP's price range. There are townhouses with fenced yards in his range. I'm not seeing a problem. It's probably a good idea to give away the animals before moving; it would allow a broader range of rental choices.

OP is getting a degree in Physical therapy. That usually pays pretty well, and heaven knows health care is the field to be in, these days. But I don't know how Phys. therapy pay squares with CA's COL. If wife could get a part-time job at some point, the dream of staying in CA after he completes his program would be more doable.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's a nice little 2-br. house with plenty of yard space (not sure if fenced) in the Mission San Jose area of Fremont right now, in the OP's price range. There are townhouses with fenced yards in his range. I'm not seeing a problem. It's probably a good idea to give away the animals before moving; it would allow a broader range of rental choices.

OP is getting a degree in Physical therapy. That usually pays pretty well, and heaven knows health care is the field to be in, these days. But I don't know how Phys. therapy pay squares with CA's COL. If wife could get a part-time job at some point, the dream of staying in CA after he completes his program would be more doable.
With Physical Therapy California has 15 listed PT schools where a student can earn up to a Doctorate in PT. Seems as though their are plenty of options within the state and a student would not need to be limited to the Bay area where cost of living can be high. Cal State Sacramento and Cal State Fresno are listed as potential schools, both with a lower cost of living then the Bay area.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:29 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
With Physical Therapy California has 15 listed PT schools where a student can earn up to a Doctorate in PT. Seems as though their are plenty of options within the state and a student would not need to be limited to the Bay area where cost of living can be high. Cal State Sacramento and Cal State Fresno are listed as potential schools, both with a lower cost of living then the Bay area.
Right, that's what I suggested earlier; completing his degree in the general Sacramento area. He said he felt it best to finish in the same school where he started, due to potential credit transferability issues. But maybe all the Cal State schools have similar courses and programs in his field, and accept each other's students and their transcripts...? That would actually be the best scenario.

But the OP says he's aching to ride bikes in GG Park and to get back into the Bay Area vibe... I can't blame him for that, really. Maybe he could focus on doing what it takes to complete the program wherever (Sac'to), then score a job at a SF hospital, and get a family place in Pacifica. Put off the dream just 2 years....?

OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland