Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 10:01 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Unless I'm confusing you with some other poster, your posts indicate that you're a pretty outspoken conservative living in a gated OC community, so I don't understand anything you just wrote about the "poisonous identity tree"

Actually, if we're being real, it sounds like a bunch of white folks in this country are angry that they don't get to keep using the same old pass that used to work so well; one that was allowing them to be racist and do whatever they wanted. It kinda sounds like you might be one of them too, given what you've posted in this thread.
Let's assume for a moment that I were the "outspoken conservative" you imagine me to be. My political state as you see it somehow renders you unable to understand how poisonous identity politics are? I guess we determined where the problem is.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:08 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
If everyone ignored them, they would not show up. They do this to pick a fight and inspire more recruits.
This wasn't just a run of the mill, ordinarily KKK rally last weekend where people knew better than to try and engage with the crazies. If you haven't watched the Vice/HBO footage of what went down, you really should. Telling everyone to just "ignore" it only works until it doesn't anymore. Right now, ignoring Trump's tacit approval of racism won't cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Let's assume for a moment that I were the "outspoken conservative" you imagine me to be. My political state as you see it somehow renders you unable to understand how poisonous identity politics are? I guess we determined where the problem is.
Could you be more direct and clear? I'm still not getting the cryptic/obscure point you're trying to make.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:13 PM

Charlottsville was a ruse and was set up by Soros. Research Jason Kessler who was an Obama supporter and was part of the Occupy movement.

FAKE and designed to hurt the President.

Where is the ACLU since they argued so strenuously for these ultra right wing groups to march only to find that the police did nothing to protect them. That is not protecting their speech. Surely the ACLU is concerned about that right? <crickets>

Old 08-16-2017, 10:19 PM

So interesting how his politics changes so dramatically in November 2016.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h.../jason-kessler

Report: Charlottesville Racist Leader Was Former Occupy Activist, Obama Supporter - Breitbart

Old 08-16-2017, 10:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
So only patriotic people are white?
That sounds like a racist statement.

I'm sure there are plenty of asians, hispanic, and black patriots who love this country just as much as white folks do.
And have roots in this country far longer than some of these so-called patriots.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I am not a member of those groups. I do; however, think that given our societal acceptance of identity politics, seeing a small but real movement by some toward white identity politics, should be seen as the logical outgrowth of the poisonous identity tree.
So let's talk sbout who gets to claim this so-called white identity. And how it started.

So first off, we created this group called "whites" to erase other ethnic identities and exclude Native Americans, people of African descent and other groups from full civil rights and rights to citizenship.

White started off to include Brits, Germans and some other Protestants. Irish, Italians and Jews of all nationalities became white over time, but didn't start that way.

According to the Census, Egyptians, Afghans, Saudis and other Middle Eastern and Arab grouos are also white. Do they get to jump into this new white nation?

Or maybe do we think it is time that whiteness actually erases the identity and heritage for many Americans?

Old 08-16-2017, 10:40 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
You might want to re-read what I actually posted- it wasn't an attack against you, because believe it or not, I actually agree with you for the most part (at least with your very first post). I don't think allowing these types of protests to continue is productive or healthy, but that's because Nazis and KKK members assemble for the specific goal of trying to incite violence and chaos, which is NOT protected "free speech"

I'm not going to get into a discussion about the mainstream media, because that's a whole different topic, and not one I brought up.
While I agree with you, I wish you would say the same about BLM and the like. Their chants of "pigs in a blanket fry em like bacon" - "what do we want, dead cops" - "cops and the klan go hand in hand" ... how can you argue that these kinds of chants aren't inciting violence and chaos. How can you argue there is no correlation between BLM for example and the assassinations of cops around the country?

I agree that Nazis, KKK and the like incite violence and are despicable people who I would like to see in prison to be honest or worse, but a problem with many on the left I have is they are easy to call out foul play on the right, but they make excuses when it comes from the left.

Both are evil, both are bad, we can argue about which one is worse, but we should be able to agree that both sides are bad. Honestly, I think the KKK is worse because there are some people in the BLM movement etc that are good people who don't hate cops or White people, but simply want to be heard. However, a decent chunk of those people, I do believe would like to see cops get hurt or murdered and/or think Whites are evil. The fact the group hasn't really came down hard on those who created these hateful chants or participated in the riots makes the entire group not welcome in my opinion, just like I don't welcome the KKK.

And I know you don't want to get into the media, but I simply brought it up because you mentioned you can't believe people are happy to see the show of two sides attacking each other. I'm not happy to see it, I simply said it's going to be a show because the rhetoric from our media is so F***ING extreme, ON BOTH SIDES. When people get thrown all this extreme incitement rhetoric 24/7, it's going to create an enormous divide, so it's not surprising to me what we are seeing now.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
There are a lot of angry white folks.

I am not one of them. I am well aware of white privilege.

But at the same time there is a huge double standard and bias in the media. That's what fuels the fire. A white person goes to a rally, gets doxed, and loses their job. But SF gate will not even publish descriptions of black criminals in newspapers.

Blacks complain about unarmed people getting shot, when unarmed whit guys get shot, no article in the NY Times.

This is the stuff that fuels the fire with the alt right and helps their ranks grow.
Hey let's talk more about double standards. White woman or child goes missing - front page news for montns. There are countless news specials, press conferences and amber alerts starting within a few hours.

Black or Latinx woman or child goes missing, and maybe there will be a paragraph a week later. Dozens have gone missing in the southeast, and it looks like a serial kidnapping pattern and you can't even find a 20/20 special. It took months for anyone to report on this pattern.

Missing black girls in DC spark outrage, prompt calls for federal help - CNN

Old 08-16-2017, 10:50 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Hey let's talk more about double standards. White woman or child goes missing - front page news for montns. There are countless news specials, press conferences and amber alerts starting within a few hours.

Black or Latinx woman or child goes missing, and maybe there will be a paragraph a week later. Dozens have gone missing in the southeast, and it looks like a serial kidnapping pattern and you can't even find a 20/20 special. It took months for anyone to report on this pattern.

Missing black girls in DC spark outrage, prompt calls for federal help - CNN
I agree this used to be the standard, but not so much anymore. Can you imagine if the three black guys who mocked and laughed at the drowning white man and didn't call help were reversed? It'd be all over the news, all over facebook, all over twitter, people would be blaming Trump, people would be blaming Republicans, people would be so completely outraged... instead it popped up on the news for a bit, didn't go viral on social media and most of the left said these are just confused teens, nothing to see here.

And to be honest, the left only cares about Black lives when it fits their agenda, which means when a White person who they could tie to Trump is the criminal. If it's an innocent little Black child who gets shot in the head by another Black person, nope... no outrage, no viral posts on social media, nothing... if a White person tells an Hispanic woman you're not welcome in this country, it goes viral everywhere, heads explode on the Left, how unthinkable and cruel (which I agree, it's cruel, but why didn't the story of the young girl getting shot in the head go viral instead, the answer is simple, it doesn't fit the agenda of the Left).

Old 08-16-2017, 10:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
This fake news "white supremacist" event has an Japanese American organizer who condemns neo-nazis and white nationalists! The content with the SF rally organizer begins at 36 seconds into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjD7FciZFZg
Thank you for sharing this video, which shows that the speakers are all people of color and that white supremacists would not be welcome. I still don't know enough about the group to have an opinion about them.

What's interesting, is that I am signed up to do surveys online occasionally, and I had one today about this event. I hadn't heard anything about it, as I hadn't watched local news. It asked if I thought the event should be allowed to happen, yes, no or not sure. I chose not sure because I didn't know enough about the group to have an opinion.

As much as I hate seeing displays like the one in Virginia, with groups chanting anti-semitism statements, etc., this is a perfect example of how dangerous it actually is to start censoring citizens' right to free speech. If we disallow one group, where does it end? Who gets to decide? It can end up being a form of propaganda in itself, where only one message is allowed to be told.

The only way around making something like the march in Charlottesville disallowed, in my opinion, is to make chanting hate messages in a group against the law by making it a hate crime. Right now, it seems like you have to wait for actual violence to occur for it to be a crime, by calling it inciting a riot.

It's tricky. I'm a moderate democrat and honestly, I've never like Nancy Pelosi. She just comes across as such an angry beoch. Time for someone new.

But, yeah, I think we need to let them have their rally, and get the message out to stay away if you disagree with them. Going to that rally and disturbing them isn't going to create any needed changes in the world. Spend your energy where you can get more out of it - like signing up voters, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland