Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 04:33 PM

123 posts, read 867,209 times

Advertisements

Random questions that I need answered. (I may be doing a bit of this)

1.) Is mission street IN the mission?

2.) I saw a posting for sunset/parkside. Is sunset/parkside a street or cities? Google map says sunset is 2 hrs 25 min from SF (past sacramento) but parkside is only 18 mins from sF. What gives? Is it decent? Would you work/live there?

3.) What do you think about REdwood city? Need a car? Decent place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 04:49 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,718,440 times
The Sunset is a district in the western part of SF, on the beach (usually cold, foggy and windy). Two of the main streets in the northwest part of SF are Sunset and Parkside.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:05 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,356,156 times
Mission Street does go though the Mission District, but also goes through other districts in San Francisco. I would consider the "Mission District" part of Mission street from around 16th Street through 24th Street. Mission Street also extends into Daly City.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:24 PM

123 posts, read 867,209 times
ah thank you both. duly noted.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:33 PM

30,304 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafedup View Post
Random questions that I need answered. (I may be doing a bit of this)

1.) Is mission street IN the mission?
As the last post stated, Mission St. is partially in the Mission district, but also extends into the Civic Center, downtown, Excelsior district, and through the town of Daly City. I'd agree that "the Mission district" starts around 16th st., but I'd say it goes to Cesar Chavez or possibly even Cortland St. - then it becomes the outer Mission or Excelsior. I used to work at the Excelsior library, which was near Mission and Silver, and it's a decent area... not great, but not really dangerous or anything - mostly Latino, like the central Mission district.

Quote:
2.) I saw a posting for sunset/parkside. Is sunset/parkside a street or cities? Google map says sunset is 2 hrs 25 min from SF (past sacramento) but parkside is only 18 mins from sF. What gives? Is it decent? Would you work/live there?
I guess there is a city called Sunset up north, but that posting was referring to the Sunset DISTRICT, which is in San Francisco proper. It is on the west side near the beach, as humboldt already said, and is well-known for it's foggy weather (especially the outer Sunset). I lived there for a year, and actually loved it, but I'm a weirdo who hates the sun. It's a very nice, almost suburban part of the city, and is mostly families & college students with a large Chinese population... very safe for the most part, and surprisingly more affordable than many parts of SF. The downside is that you're pretty far from downtown, and while it does have a few light-rails that'll get you there quickly, it can be a hassle getting around the city. There's also an annoyingly steady stream of traffic on 19th Ave (the main "drag" through the Sunset), but there are lots of alternate routes you can take.

Quote:
3.) What do you think about REdwood city? Need a car? Decent place?
Yes, you need a car in Redwood City, as you do on most of the Peninsula... there is a bus system, but it's VERY limited in where it goes, and CalTrain is the same situation. You can easily take the train into SF from there (and/or connect to BART in Millbrae), but getting around RC itself & anywhere else on the Peninsula is tough without a car.

The town is very divided, with some really nice neighborhoods on the west side, and some rough ones on the east... I'd recommend staying west of El Camino Real, unless you're cool with a less-desirable area. However, if you go too far west (into the hills) it gets very expensive, so you'd probably want to stay in the middle - Woodside Road between El Camino Real & Alameda de las Pulgas is what I'd suggest, since they have a TON of decent, reasonably priced rentals there. What is your budget, btw? You also might look into nearby Belmont and San Carlos, which are nice towns with similar price ranges. Good luck!

P.S. Redwood City was voted "Climate Best by Government Test" one year, and they still have a sign downtown claiming that... so at least you know it has great weather. It's also very centrally located (between SF and San Jose), and has a lot of shopping & dining options.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-13-2008 at 05:57 PM..

Old 03-13-2008, 05:51 PM

Btw, here are some links that might be helpful... San Francisco is divided into many districts, which is how everyone here refers to our neighborhoods. It would be helpful to learn these, so you're not confused once you move here.

Bay Area Traveler: SF Neighborhoods
Neighborhoods in San Francisco, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (wow - even I didn't realize there were 91 neighborhoods!!)
http://z.about.com/d/sanfrancisco/1/...odsgrid500.jpg (but the ones on this map are really all you need to know)

Old 03-13-2008, 07:09 PM

802 posts, read 2,264,457 times
Here's a link to an overview of some of San Francisco's neighborhoods:

Old 03-13-2008, 07:10 PM

802 posts, read 2,264,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwstrnkid View Post
Here's a link to an overview of some of San Francisco's neighborhoods:

Oops, I see that it's already been mentioned in the above post...

Old 03-14-2008, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwstrnkid View Post
Oops, I see that it's already been mentioned in the above post...
It's a great site, isn't it? Only thing that bugs me is how selective they are, only mentioning the "cool" neighborhoods - nothing about my part of town, which doesn't surprise me.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:52 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, you need a car in Redwood City, as you do on most of the Peninsula... there is a bus system, but it's VERY limited in where it goes, and CalTrain is the same situation. You can easily take the train into SF from there (and/or connect to BART in Millbrae), but getting around RC itself & anywhere else on the Peninsula is tough without a car.

The town is very divided, with some really nice neighborhoods on the west side, and some rough ones on the east... I'd recommend staying west of El Camino Real, unless you're cool with a less-desirable area. However, if you go too far west (into the hills) it gets very expensive, so you'd probably want to stay in the middle - Woodside Road between El Camino Real & Alameda de las Pulgas is what I'd suggest, since they have a TON of decent, reasonably priced rentals there. What is your budget, btw? You also might look into nearby Belmont and San Carlos, which are nice towns with similar price ranges. Good luck!

P.S. Redwood City was voted "Climate Best by Government Test" one year, and they still have a sign downtown claiming that... so at least you know it has great weather. It's also very centrally located (between SF and San Jose), and has a lot of shopping & dining options.
Really now. Many neighborhoods on the east side are actually better than those cheap rentals on Jefferson Avenue and Woodside Road. The Mezes Park area between Whipple, the train tracks, Veterans, and Brewster is great - walk to the new development downtown, or the Caltrain station to get to San Francisco. By comparison, nothing much has changed on the west side since 1960. Most people there seemed bored out of their minds, and if they went out, the first thing they did was cross the train tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland