Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 06:31 PM

123 posts, read 865,526 times

Advertisements

Late 20's female Coming to visit SF very soon and Alone for 2 weeks!

The closer my visit to SF gets, the more nervous I get about going alone. I've never been to the city before and will be relying on a map, (hopefully kind) strangers and city-data for guidance. It would be very easy for me to get lost or misled. So I'd like to be prepared in advance.

I'm very cautious and almost a little paranoid but really want to let go and be free (somewhat trusting). I'm a happy spirit and will probably be filming my experience. Walking around like a tourist taking pictures and filming stuff, do you think I'll be a walking target?

Should I expect to run into trouble-- Or should I be familiar with the city a couple days in?

Either way I'm still coming, I just want to be mentally prepared. I've never done a solo trip like this before. Please be brutally honest with me if you must. I like to stay optomistic but I'm trying to weigh the possibilities and reality of the fact that I'm a young woman traveling alone to a new city.

Since you guys follow the news in that area better than I can, in your opinion, what are my chances of getting mugged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 06:34 PM

215 posts, read 980,846 times
are you pretty or ugly that will make a more or less of a chance lol

Old 03-13-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booz30 View Post
are you pretty or ugly that will make a more or less of a chance lol
lol. good logic. But I think that I am attractive so if others viewed me as the same, I wonder would that make me more of a target or less? something else to worry over. :P Nah, but thanks for the laugh.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:00 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,725,105 times
I've never been mugged in 25 years here (in both the suburbs & city), and neither has anyone I know... car break-ins are probably the most common "petty crime" here, and actual human violence is rare in most parts. Just be smart - don't wander through the Tenderloin, Civic Center or Bayview at night, don't flash money & expensive items, don't stop for the homeless, and so forth. Most of the city is very safe, despite what some people have said on this forum, and you should be just fine! If you stick to the tourist areas, like Fisherman's Wharf, the piers, Union Square, etc., it will be especially unlikely you'll run into trouble. Oh, but we do make fun of tourists who wear shorts in the summer - and then have to buy an SF sweatshirt to keep warm, LOL.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 16,010 times
Just like any major city, where there are more people there is more crime.

Stay out of the bad areas, keep to public places and don't run around alone late night and you'll be fine.

A little common sense goes a long way.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I've never been mugged in 25 years here (in both the suburbs & city), and neither has anyone I know... car break-ins are probably the most common "petty crime" here, and actual human violence is rare in most parts. Just be smart - don't wander through the Tenderloin, Civic Center or Bayview at night, don't flash money & expensive items, don't stop for the homeless, and so forth. Most of the city is very safe, despite what some people have said on this forum, and you should be just fine! If you stick to the tourist areas, like Fisherman's Wharf, the piers, Union Square, etc., it will be especially unlikely you'll run into trouble. Oh, but we do make fun of tourists who wear shorts in the summer - and then have to buy an SF sweatshirt to keep warm, LOL.
Well thats good to hear. Hope I'll have the same good luck. I'm actually staying in a hostel near or in the civic center. hope thats not near bayview. I was kinda worried about the filming part. My camera is in no way expensive but it is still sometihng someone may want to mug me for. So I can't think of any discreet ways to film or hold the camera out of plain view. Thats what I mean I hope I'm not a walking target. Young woman walking around with a camera seems very touristy and muggable. Glad to hear crime is not THAT bad. Only problem is I'm going to explore the city a bunch of it (from Union square to Marina District and all over) because I want to make it my hometown shortly afterward so me wandering around all day and had planned on some nightly activitys too, I wonder if I'll be attracting too much attention to myself.
Oh also I'm wondering what time it gets dark at night there? Give myself a curfew. hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
Just like any major city, where there are more people there is more crime.

Stay out of the bad areas, keep to public places and don't run around alone late night and you'll be fine.

A little common sense goes a long way.
These are good points but being alone I can't really tell where the bad areas are. My thing is I don't want to be led to the wrong area. I can stay away from mission but how do I know if I'm approaching it before it's too late?

I also kinda believe that all the common sense in the world is still no match for a leering stranger who wants what you have- by any means necessary.

But like I said before, fear or not, I'm still gonna do it.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:12 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,298,282 times
Don't go with any stranger willing to show you the sights. Those 'tourguides' may be showing you a deserted alleyway... Lots of people are walking around with cameras and doing touristy things. Just be careful at night, after dark and go to wellit places, take a cab if you're unsure of how to get to your hotel after dark. I think it gets dark around 7ish or so, correct me if I'm wrong...
Trust your own instinct, if something creeps you out or worries you, there's a reason. Just don't ruin your stay by being scared of everything, you have to find a middle ground where you keep your eyes open and still are able to relax a bit. After a few days, maybe less, you'll feel more at ease and have a great time.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:46 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,725,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafedup View Post
Well thats good to hear. Hope I'll have the same good luck. I'm actually staying in a hostel near or in the civic center. hope thats not near bayview.
It's nowhere near Bayview (which is in the southeast), but that's not a great area, especially where the hostels are located. Civic Center is the heart of downtown, and like many urban downtowns, it has it's problems... lots of homeless people, shelters/soup kitchens, drug dealers, clubs, and so forth. I've walked through it a million times without incident, and one of my friends lived in a hostel there for a month without problems - but we're city folks, and know how to act. That being said, MANY tourists & travelers stay in that area, and we don't hear much about murders/muggings/etc... just be on-guard, take cabs if you feel uncomfortable, and try not to wander much at night. Fyi, it's getting dark around 7:00pm right now, but the days will be getting longer soon.

On the upside, you will be right in the "action" at that location... tons of good restaurants, theaters, shops, City Hall, the main library, BART stations, and so forth. If you're a vegetarian (or just like veggies) try Ananda Fuara at Larkin & Market. And right around the corner @ 25 Grove St. is a great Mediterranean place called Gyro King - try the feta pie.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-14-2008 at 05:56 AM..

Old 05-12-2008, 11:08 AM

175 posts, read 793,650 times
Default Getting jumped in SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafedup View Post
Late 20's female Coming to visit SF very soon and Alone for 2 weeks!

The closer my visit to SF gets, the more nervous I get about going alone. I've never been to the city before and will be relying on a map, (hopefully kind) strangers and city-data for guidance. It would be very easy for me to get lost or misled. So I'd like to be prepared in advance.

I'm very cautious and almost a little paranoid but really want to let go and be free (somewhat trusting). I'm a happy spirit and will probably be filming my experience. Walking around like a tourist taking pictures and filming stuff, do you think I'll be a walking target?

Should I expect to run into trouble-- Or should I be familiar with the city a couple days in?

Either way I'm still coming, I just want to be mentally prepared. I've never done a solo trip like this before. Please be brutally honest with me if you must. I like to stay optomistic but I'm trying to weigh the possibilities and reality of the fact that I'm a young woman traveling alone to a new city.

Since you guys follow the news in that area better than I can, in your opinion, what are my chances of getting mugged?
Just don't look them in the eye and show no fear. Keep walking and don't feed the bums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland