Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 04:26 PM

123 posts, read 867,477 times

Advertisements

Ok I am a little bit freaking out after reading the SF crime thread and another incident. So when I come to SF I am staying in a number of places (I wanted variety). I want your honest review on each place/building and area.

Please warn me about any nearby danger zones. Or even better if they're not too safe, please tell me what landmarks I should be going in the direction of from that location to avoid the bad nearby areas.

By danger I mean high rate of or RECENT muggings, robbings, attacks, gang activity, etc..

1.)TRAVELODGE - there are a ton of these so the one I'm at is:

2230 Lombard Street
Lombard(HWy 101)@ Steiner St

2.) HOTEL WHITCOMB -- 1231 market st

3.)ADALAIDE -- 5 Isadora duncan ln (right on geary, right on taylor, left on isadora duncan)

4.)PACIFIC TRADEWINDS -- 680 sacramento street

5.) HI CITY CENTER HOSTEL -- 685 ellis street

As usual, thank you, appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 04:37 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
The places on Ellis and Market Sts are in the Tenderloin area - a crummy part of town with homeless people. Lombard St is the main street that leads out to the Golden Gate Bridge. Lombard is full of motels and seems relatively safe - at least safer than the Tenderloin.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:45 PM

thanks humboldt, ok so I've been schooled on the homeless and (as of now) don't see them as a threat. *knock on wood* but apart from homeless, is there anything more pressing that I should worry about on market and ellis? Like drive-bys and other senseless crimes?
Have you heard of a high rate of muggings in that area? What is the last bad news you've heard about that particular area?

Also I'm told that market street is long so I am not sure how deep the Whitcomb is in the Tenderloin, can anyone advise? And is it at least safe in the day time?

Old 03-14-2008, 04:55 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
RELAX This isn't Dodge City. You should be fine. I wouldn't be wandering around on the streets at 2am and doing stuff like that. Just be aware of your surroundings. And as for the homeless, they might get in your face for a handout, but I would stay away from them anyways. Many have mental and/or drug problems and sometimes don't act rationally.

You were asking about the Lakewood Apts. ?? Find San Francisco apartments and homes for rent in the San Francisco area at Lakewood Apts at Lake Merced.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:04 PM

Thanks again. I'm still starting to have second thoughts about going alone. I just hope the strangers in the hostels are as harmless and welcoming to newcomers as I will be. I'll need a buddy! Now, I'm getting a headache.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:17 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
For the locations in the Tenderloin, aside from homeless people (and plenty of normal people), there are quite a few drug dealers, thugs, crazy people, pimps, prostitutes, drug addicts, etc. It's the Tenderloin, and there will be grit and filth and crime...but it's also an amazingly busy and dense part of the city, and there are actually some nice cheap restaurants and bars and such...and for the most part during the day you'll be ok. Maybe a little uncomfortable, or even scared in some parts, it really depends on your personality and level of comfort. But there are some shady individuals and if you're not careful, especially at night, you could end up in a not so good situation. Especially if you look like you're scared or are a tourist...basically if you look like you can be taken advantage of.

Lombard street? That's fine. The most you'll have to worry about is traffic and the occasional drunk fratboy.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:54 AM

Thanks rah,glad that it is fairly busy. I just dont' want to be caught in gunfire. Lombard sounds good. Happy about that choice.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:34 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
You'll be fine, I too am going alone and as long as you exude confidence, don't let them see you sweat, you'll be OK. Don't talk to strangers..Don't stare at your map too long in a dark alley...LOL Gosh, it's not the wild west and "ask a cop if you need advice". Don't count your money in public, common sense stuff like that...

Old 03-15-2008, 11:28 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
I'd agree with the Lombard St. location being just fine - actually it's a rather nice area, and has a ton of late-night food options (Mel's Diner, IHOP, a few other diners & Asian restaurants, etc.). As for the Tenderloin, like the others said, it's mostly just shady people and homeless... I've been there many times at 2-3am for Indian food, and never had a problem! So if you can handle a little sketchiness, I guess the Tenderloin would be a better location in terms of stuff to do/eat. Oh, and I've never heard of a drive-by in the loin - traffic is too heavy to make a quick getaway, LOL.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:15 PM

Thanks I'm thinking I should have done the whole thing from Lombard St. But silly me wanting to bunk at the Whitcomb (the pictures look sooo elegant). Plus I wanted to have the hostel experience and the travelers kept writing such great reviews about those. But we shall see.

I will finally make my mind up but until then I need an alternate plan. Even just adding someone as a travel buddy ease my worries TREMENDOUSLY.

But easier said than done. Where can I find someone with free time to galavant around the city with me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland