Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:51 AM

123 posts, read 865,563 times

Advertisements

Can you tell me about fairfield? How far is it from the city? Would I need a car to get around there? Would I need to take the Bart from there? Or...

Is it more suburban, residential, farmland? what? clean area?

Looking into vistiing that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 12:43 PM

3,719 posts, read 14,670,100 times
Fairfield is about 60 miles from San Francisco and yes you would need a car to get around. BART doesn't go to Fairfield and the commute between SF and Fairfield would be horrible (and gas is almost $4/gallon making it an expensive commute )

Old 03-15-2008, 01:00 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,728,822 times
I almost moved to Fairfield last year (was offered a job in Suisun), and I was far from impressed... it's not a horrible place, but it's very blah & pseudo-suburban, yet feels kinda "ghetto" at the same time. Does that make sense? You would definitely need a car there, since it's fairly spread-out & probably doesn't have a great bus system - and it's around 1 hour from San Francisco without traffic, 1.5-2 hours + with traffic. On the upside, it's very affordable by CA standards, and has plenty of shopping nearby. If you were interested in living around that area, I'd suggest Vacaville before Fairfield... it's a much smaller, almost rural town, but I thought it was really cute, clean & quiet.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:10 PM

123 posts, read 865,563 times
thank you both for the replys. You are always very helpful.
I was actually surprised to find out that I know someone in that area and they told me not to go to the city because...

They suggested I consider Fairfiled instead. I didn't think it would be my cup of tea and from what you two said, I was right about that.

I don't want to use a car and I don't want to be so far from the city especially not with a commute like that with the gas and all.

Basically I wanted to be a part of the city. So thanks a bunch.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:17 PM

15,630 posts, read 26,107,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafedup View Post
Can you tell me about fairfield? How far is it from the city? Would I need a car to get around there? Would I need to take the Bart from there? Or...

I have friends in Fairfield -- there is a increasing gang presence there. It's sort of run down and the downtown area is trying to revitalize, but there doesn't seem to be a reason to. I think the town built up around Travis Air Force base.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:40 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,050,375 times
There is a commuter bus from Suisun City and Fairfield to SF.. I see it almost every time I go downtown.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:48 PM

3,719 posts, read 14,670,100 times
Quote:
I don't want to use a car and I don't want to be so far from the city especially not with a commute like that with the gas and all.

Basically I wanted to be a part of the city.
Let me make a suggestion. Check out San Carlos, about 25 miles south of San Francisco. It's a middle to upper middle class suburban town and is very SAFE. It has a nice downtown area with everything you need and within walking distance, there are many apartment buildings in the area. The rent will probably be a little cheaper than what you could find in SF.

Also, within walking distance, in the downtown area is a Caltrain station caltrain.com - home and it's about a 40 minute ride to SF. They also sell monthly train passes which will soon be cheaper than driving to SF.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:51 AM

20 posts, read 109,672 times
The sky.........

Old 05-12-2008, 11:02 AM

175 posts, read 793,685 times
Default Fairfield

Quote:

Fairfield has a big gang population. Crime/drugs etc. You DO need a car. California's mass transit (what little there is) sucks. By city do you mean San Fran?

Old 05-12-2008, 11:43 PM

10 posts, read 103,571 times
I grew up in Fairfield. Driving from there to SF would suck (my dad used to do it). You have to cross the Bay Bridge and go through the Maze, which is horrible during rush hour. It's 1.5-2 hours each way, easy. The closest Bart station is in Richmond, I believe. You'd do better driving down to Vallejo and taking the Ferry over, but that's still ~1 hour (although its a nice trip!)

In terms of crime, yeah, it's not a nice place. We're not talking Richmond/Oakland type stuff, but it's definately deteriorating. Suisun (pronounced "sue-soon") borders Fairfield and is nicer, but all the shopping (ie, the mall) is in fairfield, or over in Vacaville. During the housing boom, houses in the area went up quite a bit ($500K for a 3 bedroom in fairfield? really??) but now alot are being turned into rentals. The neighborhood around my parent's house in Suisun (over by Travis Air Force Base) is starting to look kinda run down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland