Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:01 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,876,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
Do you think it is already snowy/icy up there?
Ellis Peak is nice, but there is likely some snow and ice up there by now.

Here's a forecast for a peak near it - you can see that temps at the summit are below freezing: https://www.mountain-forecast.com/pe...forecasts/2518

If you're not an experienced hiker, I wouldn't attempt it. Would likely want some light boots (at a minimum) and microspikes if there was some snow/ice (something like these: https://www.rei.com/product/890608/k...raction-system - I use these quite frequently!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 09:30 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,244,119 times
Yeah, it's for sure a better hike in the summer or early Fall when the ground isn't wet/soggy. The very top part is a scramble and a confusing one (false peaks), so I wouldn't want to be up there right now unless you're really experienced.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:36 PM

772 posts, read 1,133,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
The Rubicon Trail is about as low as you can be in the Tahoe Basin. It very closely follows the water line.

If it's snowing at the lake Tahoe, there will be snow there. But if you can't hike the Rubicon trail because of snow, you'll likely not be able to do much hiking anywhere else in Tahoe since almost everything else will be much higher. This is one of your requirements from your first post (wanting to hike near/along the lake).

I don't really get that "best" rating mentioned. There is very rarely snow at that elevation in September (I honestly can't think of any examples of it snowing at ~6000 feet in September)...It is, in my opinion, the majority of the year. And I'd actually argue that September-October are possibly the BEST times (no crowds, clear cool weather, days getting shorter but still of reasonable length).

Snow at lake level, in most winters, is not that extreme. It is not uncommon for there to be little to no snow at lake level through a winter (depends...last winter we had a lot...a few winters before, nothing). That said, the forecast the Tahoe basin looks pretty cold coming up.

I'd keep a close eye on the various webcams in Tahoe and make your judgment on whether you want to trek up there for a hike.
Lake Tahoe Webcam Map | Tahoetopia
https://tahoesouth.com/lake-tahoe-web-cams/

You'd probably be fine (if it snows, it'll probably melt quickly at lake level, or not be that deep) - but I wouldn't want to convince you to do something you're not comfortable doing.

To your last point, that is the entire distance of the trail from one end to the other, and then back again to the start. Since it's an out and back, you can start from either end and just walk as far as you are comfortable. The southern end loops around Emerald Bay, and is quite scenic. There are actually a couple of trailhead options on that end. The northern end follows the main part of the lake, and is also very scenic.

But, you can really go as long as you want. Want to make it short? Walk out a half mile, or so, and turn around...making the hike a mile. And if you want to do all 6 miles out and back, you can go for that, too.

I'd characterize this trail as on the easier side (by Sierra standards) - although there is some up and down, and you are ~6000 feet up (so will take the wind out of you just from that perspective).

If you do end up making the drive out there, and there is some snow (and don't feel comfortable "hiking"), I'd take a drive around the lake and just pull over where it looks interesting. There are a lot of small trails leading out at various points around the lake (to look outs or to other interesting landmarks). A drive around the lake on its own is a really nice experience.
Sounds good. I'm going to hit the Rubicon Trial tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:28 PM

Regarding the Rubicon Trial, has anyone ever parked at the Vikingsholm parking lot? Apparently, there is a fee and "self-registration" is required. What does that mean exactly?

Also, I see on Google maps that some people have parked in the dirt areas alongside Emerald Road. Is that okay? They have signs along Emerald Road that say "Tow-away: No stopping any time." I can't tell whether that refers to those dirt areas or just the (paved) shoulder of the road.

Thanks.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Regarding the Rubicon Trial, has anyone ever parked at the Vikingsholm parking lot? Apparently, there is a fee and "self-registration" is required. What does that mean exactly?

Also, I see on Google maps that some people have parked in the dirt areas alongside Emerald Road. Is that okay? They have signs along Emerald Road that say "Tow-away: No stopping any time." I can't tell whether that refers to those dirt areas or just the (paved) shoulder of the road.

Thanks.
Apparently not, especially during this time of the year. Self-registration seems to mean that you have to put your money in an envelope if the attendant is not there and tear off a part of the envelope and put it in your car.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:32 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,876,838 times
Quote:

Thanks.
This time of the year, and on a weekday no less, I'd be surprised if there was not a spot at the Vikingsholm lot. You're correct in your satellite view observation - people always park along 89 in the busy months. The summer month Saturday afternoons can be a hectic around there...I generally avoid it for that reason. But, it is a very pretty launch point.

Parking in the off season is self-registration: Emerald Bay SP

Keep in mind that you'll be at the high point of the hike at that location. It's not a difficult hike down (and then back up to the car) of a few hundred feet - but just so your expectations are set.

Also, FYI...Severe Weather Alerts - South Lake Tahoe, CA
Quote:
* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Plan on difficult travel
conditions. Possible damage to trees and power lines. Total snow
accumulations of a foot or more above 7500 feet. Accumulations
below 7500 feet are more uncertain and depend on how fast snow
levels fall Thursday, but 4 or more inches are possible.

* WHERE...Greater Lake Tahoe Area.

* WHEN...From Wednesday afternoon through late Thursday night.
Tomorrow looks good, but Wednesday - Thursday might be snowy, especially if you're going over the passes to get into/out of the Tahoe region.

Enjoy the hike! I'll be jealous sitting in my cubicle...

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 11-13-2017 at 07:07 PM..

Old 11-14-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
This time of the year, and on a weekday no less, I'd be surprised if there was not a spot at the Vikingsholm lot. You're correct in your satellite view observation - people always park along 89 in the busy months. The summer month Saturday afternoons can be a hectic around there...I generally avoid it for that reason. But, it is a very pretty launch point.

Parking in the off season is self-registration: Emerald Bay SP

Keep in mind that you'll be at the high point of the hike at that location. It's not a difficult hike down (and then back up to the car) of a few hundred feet - but just so your expectations are set.

Also, FYI...Severe Weather Alerts - South Lake Tahoe, CA

Tomorrow looks good, but Wednesday - Thursday might be snowy, especially if you're going over the passes to get into/out of the Tahoe region.

Enjoy the hike! I'll be jealous sitting in my cubicle...
Man that was a great suggestion! I got there a little before 7 and only one other person was in the parking lot and she wasn't even there to hike. I went from the Vikingsholm lot all the way to Cover/Lester Beach and back (to the Vikingsholm house). Gorgeous views of the lake and great workout to boot. I didn't even see anyone until I was well on the way back. That's actually the second best hike I've been on after the Dipsea Trail.

Thanks a million!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland