Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:27 PM

30,445 posts, read 52,128,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Not trying to argue with you, redwood, I get you. It's not gonna be a restful night if I'm getting woken up by the cops, but that's better than getting beat to death or set on fire.

If I paid 600K for a loft in midtown, I wouldn't want some out-of-town crumb-bumb taking up my parking catching some Z's next to my sidewalk. I mentioned Vista Point because I think it's a freeway rest stop where that sort of thing is kosher.
Okay, I can tell you for certain that isn't "kosher" at a vista point... they close those usually from dusk-dawn, and cops drive through periodically to check. I know this because I got a FAT ticket once for parking in one (around midnight), and I wasn't even sleeping! A rest-stop might be a different story, but I honestly don't know of any around here - except the one near Bunker Hill Dr. off hwy 280, which is about 30 minutes south of SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 06:19 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,089,093 times
No offense taken, hope I didn't give any either. Despite the zombies comment, I wasn't making light of getting killed. I've definately been some places where it just might happen, and being from out-of-town increases your chances. I just never got the impression that SF was that kind of town in most places. Thanks for your candid help, seriously.

Thanks gizmo! That's exactly what I needed to know before spending the $5 to cross the GG and find out that that lot isn't like it used to be.

I might head south and hole up off PCH if I get desperate.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:46 PM

Hm, I think we've talked past each other. I just checked the ca DOT website and they listed the Dana H. Bowers rest stop as being open and available for up to 8 hours of parking and use like any standard rest stop. I also google-mapped it and checked out the signs via street view (ain't technology grand?) There were no posted signs other than the standard rest stop "lock your doors to prevent theft, no soliciting" signs, so it looks like I can catch a nap there. Just no tents and no leaving the car there by itself.

Thanks for all the warnings against sleeping in the city. I'll try to stay out of town and keep it legal. There's another rest stop south of town--like another poster mentioned--on the 280, but Dana H. Bowers is closer, and I'd burn more than $5 (bridge toll) in gas getting down there. Besides, driving across the GG is a thrill anyway!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:31 PM

30,445 posts, read 52,128,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Hm, I think we've talked past each other. I just checked the ca DOT website and they listed the Dana H. Bowers rest stop as being open and available for up to 8 hours of parking and use like any standard rest stop. I also google-mapped it and checked out the signs via street view (ain't technology grand?) There were no posted signs other than the standard rest stop "lock your doors to prevent theft, no soliciting" signs, so it looks like I can catch a nap there. Just no tents and no leaving the car there by itself.

Thanks for all the warnings against sleeping in the city. I'll try to stay out of town and keep it legal. There's another rest stop south of town--like another poster mentioned--on the 280, but Dana H. Bowers is closer, and I'd burn more than $5 (bridge toll) in gas getting down there. Besides, driving across the GG is a thrill anyway!
Hmmmmm. I guess it's technically a rest-stop then, rather than a vista point - because I know the vista points typically close at night. Oh, and crossing the Golden Gate still gives me goose-bumps, even after living here for 25 years. Anyway, good luck with whatever you do & be safe!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:24 AM

It was just like I remembered. I parked off to the side of the rest stop's parking area under a streetlight and had a pleasant's night's sleep. In the morning, I woke up to a beautiful view of the sun rising over San Francisco. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 4,692 times
This is a four-year-late-reply, but in case anyone else comes across this posting...
Just don't park in the tenderloin. Richmond or Sunset are generally fairly good parking. Find a road in a neighborhood that's not busy, find a parking spot, and play it cool. I've slept in my van many a times after a hard night of drinkin' in the city. Never got hassled by the pigs. Just be wary of tow-away zones and street sweeping schedules.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:40 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,896,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdude View Post
This is a four-year-late-reply
Zombie thread walks again

Old 10-14-2011, 12:35 AM

13 posts, read 17,446 times
I was just wondering if it is against city ordinances to actually sleep in a sleeping bag on Montara State Beach for one night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland